Author Topic: New here.. Need help to begin routine for 4 month old  (Read 816 times)

Offline Delly523

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
New here.. Need help to begin routine for 4 month old
« on: April 25, 2014, 19:17:36 pm »
Hey everyone,

My son was diagnosed with acid reflux a month and a half ago so I stopped having a routine for him since he really needed to eat on demand. His reflux is under control and he just turned 4 months yesterday. He is 14 lbs (30 percentile in weight) and 50 in height. I am uncertain if he should be started on a 3 hour plan, 3.5, or if 4 hours will work for him. He used to stretch at night and now wakes every 3 hours. I find he only eats for 10 mins total during the day.. Maybe because he is getting too many calories at night? I don't want to starve my hungry night baby but at the same time need structure and sleep!!

Any thoughts recommendations? Advice?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: New here.. Need help to begin routine for 4 month old
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 21:09:09 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW :)

Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!

I would start by just doing what you usually do and observe for three days, record the E times, A times and S times. Remember A is any activity when LO is awake, where nappy changing or eating. Also record the morning WU time, the BT and and any NWs. Try to make a short note of if he needs resettling at naps or if he was reluctant to take a nap. After 3 days you should be able to see a pattern form and go from there.
I'm guessing he is BF as you say he feeds for 10 mins, some BF babies do not transition to 4hrly E at 4 months but more towards 5 or 6 months so I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to stretch as far as 4 hrs if he doesn't seem ready.  BF babies often have a DF and another NF at this age although I don't think I'd expect him to wake every 3hrs.
There's also a GS at 4 months so there's a chance of day and night feeds increasing through the GS.

hth