Author Topic: 11 months, weaning NF - drop ozs or water down?  (Read 4341 times)

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
11 months, weaning NF - drop ozs or water down?
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:45:57 am »
I want to drop the NF, it's well overdue ;) he's 11 months on weds.

He always had 7ozs, I planned to drop an oz every few nights so dropped to 6oz about 10 days ago. He had a strop when the bottle ended for the first say 5 nights, he settled after the strop but it made me reluctant to reduce it further plus he then got poorly hence we're still at 6oz.

He's on antibiotics for an ear infection so I won't go anything more just yet, but I'm reading more about watering down rather than dropping ozs - should I be doing this instead?

I can't remember what I did with DS1, I think I just stopped feeding at night (he was younger too) and sorted his EASY and the NWings followed suit. I'm not brave enough with DS2. He has other wakings (usually) which are routine related and he never needs a feed then, but at the waking around 1-3am he always needs a feed so I think it's habit.
Catherine x

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 11 months, weaning NF - drop ozs or water down?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:39:08 am »
Hi Catherine,

I had a lot of success watering down with dd2 so that would be my suggestion. We got to a point where it was almost all water and she stopped waking for it! She was around 11-12 months old too...

I hope that helps a little :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »
Catherine after Ali's suggestion I'm watering down. On night 3 tonight. I know my boys wouldn't be happy if they couldn't have a big enough feed.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 14:45:05 pm by babybarr »
LAURA xx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 13:06:49 pm »
I prefer the reducing oz and that worked well for DD. The problem I see with watering down is that they are still having a belly full of something so they aren't learning to wake and go back to sleep without that full feeling.

Different things do work for different babies though so you need to do what you are comfortable with.

Laura

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 14:33:33 pm »
Just wanted to pop on and say we too went the reducing oz route, but moved the feed earlier in the evening too with each oz drop (we were still doing the DF at about 11months and dropped this way). I was worried personally about E still needing liquid of some sort and that's why I went that route rather than watering down. Also, we were getting waking in the am from wet nappies so the two together made up my mind.

You need to try what you are comfortable with though :)

If you find B is grumpy from a smaller feed, you could try moving it earlier so he is less hungry, but as it's not a DF it would involve waking him earlier which you might not want to do. It could be a bit like a modified W2S though if you think part of his wakefuless is habit, and this could help? (Thinking aloud, not sure if anyone has tried this before).

Another alternative is to go the watering down route and once you have watered down a bit, then try reducing the amount in total. So e.g say you get down to 7oz of water but 3oz worth of formula, the next step could be reducing the amount overall but keeping the 3oz worth of formula, so sort of a mixture of the two methods if that makes any sense.
~ Naomi ~

Offline babybarr

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 14:43:09 pm »
Catherine I probably will try reducing the ozs a bit as we progress but on my twins thread there's a link about it.
LAURA xx

Offline babybarr

LAURA xx

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 20:17:27 pm »
I'm watering down too...but we are basically at formula flavoured warm water now so I am pondering setting my alarm and trying w2s as well. I think I will have to do that or go cold turkey on the bottle. So looking forward to that  ::)
Heidi

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 20:24:52 pm »
Ok ladies, you were supposed to say "well you should go with 'x' method as it will be more effective because...."  ::)

I think I'll stick with dropping the ounces and see where we get to, I'm going to leave it at 6ozs for the time being whilst he's not well.

Heidi keep us posted on what you do, will be interesting to see how it goes for you. You too Laura, I hope it's a success for your boys x
Catherine x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 20:47:10 pm »
Will do...but I think she may be teething or coming down sick as she is off eating today and is on her second nap which is unheard of. Though I suppose I has nothing to lose really then by trying w2s at least. Now to find the most annoying alarm on my phone so I wake up.
Heidi

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 21:09:01 pm »
Good luck both of you :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 09:54:28 am »
Ok ladies, you were supposed to say "well you should go with 'x' method as it will be more effective because...."  ::)

Lol Catherine... I think you should go with watering down as it will be more effective because it will taste like rubbish and the baby will stop waking for it (well at least that was my theory and it sorta worked because she stopped waking ;))

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 14:00:17 pm »
I am very torn.

I suppose if I water down and am finding it doesn't work because he just continues to wake for a bottle of water then I can drop the ozs of water then. I should probably not be so sceptical....!
Catherine x

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 14:09:03 pm »
I suppose if I water down and am finding it doesn't work because he just continues to wake for a bottle of water then I can drop the ozs of water then. I should probably not be so sceptical....!

Absolutely, try it and if it doesn't work you haven't really lost anything. :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline babybarr

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 14:29:58 pm »
I think if you cut the oz first you have no where to go yk? You don't wanna then increase btl just to water it down
LAURA xx