Author Topic: Following 3hr easy... Timings all out  (Read 741 times)

Offline Toezilla

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 27, 2014, 16:03:50 pm »
I started following the 3hr easy plan with my 5week 4 day old baby 4days ago. I'm finding it very hard getting him to follow the timings etc. I will get him up for 7am to feed etc and try to have our A time before getting ready for nap etc but really struggling!

Today has gone as follows:

7:00-7:30 E 4oz milk
7:30-8:40 A (1hr 10min)
8:40-9:20 S (40 mins)
                Y I cleaned up
9:20-9:35 E 6oz milk
9:35-10:40 A (1hr 5min)
10:40-11:30 S (50mins)
11:30-11:45 E 2 and half oz
11:45-12:50 A (1hr 5mins)

Then it all goes wrong...

12:50-1:15 E 4oz milk
1:15-3:00 A (1hr 45min)
3:00-3:30 E 4oz milk
3:30 - ongoing (he's asleep now and has had 1hr 30mins so far)

He not sleeping for the hr plus at a time and is just napping which puts all the times out etc

Anything anyone can suggest? Or is it ok so far? I know he had a long A between 1:15-3:00 (we battled over tiredness!!!) he not the best of sleepers, he generally grunts, groans and passes wind which wakes him up frequently!!!

Any advice welcome :-)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Following 3hr easy... Timings all out
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 17:43:13 pm »
Hi there. I see from one of your other threads you have started to use the 4s wind down - great! So, continue with that and with shush/pat to help him settle to sleep.  It does take time to settle into a routine so hang in there.
A couple of things which may help
- I see you are counting the A time from when the E finishes. instead count A from when he wakes up, so from morning WU 7.00 to first nap you had 1hr 40 A time rather than 1hr 10.  A is anything that is not sleep.  At this age aim for roughly 1hr 10 as you are doing but count it from wake up, meaning you need to start your wind down sooner. If the A is too long he may get over tired and not sleep well.
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
You might also find he gets tired sooner if he had a short nap, so you can reduce the following A time by 10 mins or follow cues.
- At this age he might not make a full 3hrs between feeds, especially if he isn't having a longer nap, if you cannot stretch to 3hrs yet don't worry. At the same time, you do not need to feed him immediately on waking if he is not hungry and if 3hrs have not passed. The order of EAS is more about putting some A time between E and S rather than feeding at every wake up. A few mins A time is enough to avoid a feed to sleep habit. Your EASY may look more like EASAEAS.
- You might find you are able to resettle him back to sleep if you go to him before he fully wakes and shush/pat back to sleep before waiting for a full cry.

hope this helps