Author Topic: Cows Milk  (Read 1350 times)

Offline torie2507

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:51:04 am »
Hi,
I understand you can use cows milk to cook with from 6 months but is it ok to warm and use with breakfast cereals from 6 months too? 

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Cows Milk
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:56:51 am »
NHS recommendations here in the UK (sorry not sure where you are) are that cows milk can be mixed with food from 6 months of age.  Personally I took that to mean it was ok on breakfast cereal provided her majority milk intake was still from breastfeeding (same would go for formula if that's what you're using).  I think what I did to start with though when first weaning was to express some breast milk and use that on cereal since the amounts needed are so tiny.  Then once she ate more solids (e.g. most of a weetabix) then we just went for cows milk.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:14:20 am »
I would use breast or formula on cereal if you can.  It's just better milk.  I used formula wherever I could if it was just for DS but if it was a meal for the family I used cows milk.  I think it depends on your circumstances too, like Katherine said as the milk amount became more then perhaps it's easier to use cows milk rather than express breast milk, but for me it was easy to grab a carton of formula from the fridge and use that.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 11:23:26 am »
We used cow's milk on cereal from 6 months because mine were on a reflux formula which we couldn't use for cereal. They only have a tiny amount at first and I did consider formula cartons but there would have been so much wastage it wasn't worth the extra expense when we already had milk in the fridge. You do need to use full fat milk though.

Laura