Author Topic: Newborn struggling with bottle fed dream feed  (Read 1779 times)

Offline sambsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Newborn struggling with bottle fed dream feed
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:43:37 am »
Our LO is 3 weeks old, since day 7 we've been expressing and giving her a bottle for her dream feed (between 10-11pm), firstly to help we get used to bottle and breast and secondly to give me a chance to have an unbroken sleep for 4-5 hours.
It's worked a treat for our other 3 kids before her, but this little one is struggling. Although we have other problems with wind, we're finding that after this feed (whether he takes it in her sleep or is awakened for it), she can scream and cry the full 2.5-3 hours till her next feed. (It's the only feed she won't settled afterwards).
She is fully burped after the DF, and generally  doesn't seem to have a problem with taking the bottle (no excess air swallowing or trouble feeding from the bottle).
I'm wondering if we're 1) doing it right?, 2) doing it too late at night?

Does anyone have experience with this and can offer some suggestions as to what we can try? Next solution for us is dropping the bottle feed altogether and just let her wake up when she's next ready to have a breastfeeds?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Newborn struggling with bottle fed dream feed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 13:19:08 pm »
Sounds like you are doing it right time wise etc. The DF doesn't work for all babies, if it's causing problems I would just feed when she wakes for a few weeks and maybe try again when she is a bit bigger.

HTH!

Laura