Author Topic: Best night ever after odd EASY, what does this mean?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Best night ever after odd EASY, what does this mean?
« on: May 04, 2014, 06:24:42 am »
I've posted so much here you must all be fed up of me lol! But - a great night last night!!! Surprising as the naps in the day didnt follow my usual EASY. Now I wonder what was right about it that made him sleep so well.

Yday
A 5.40 maybe a little earlier
S 8.55-9.35
S (he fell asleep out in the buggy too early by accident!) 12.10-1.30
Bedtime 6.40 (if he goes to bed before 6.30 we get v EW. I nearly did a late short catnap but apart from a little grump 4-5pm he seemed ok).

Usually he's v sleepy at bedtime but last night he was a bit more awake and practised clapping for 5 mins before falling asleep.

Last night he self settled a couple of times and fed 1am. I might've been able to leave him at 4.30 but sometimes he has EW or long NW at that time so fed him and he woke at 6.10!

Our normal EASY is
A 5.30
S 8.30-9.15
S 12.50-2.20 (well I aim for this and usually have to resettle him halfway and sometimes fail; then sometimes I do a 15 min catnap if he woke too early)
Bed 6.40 (or 7 if he has catnap)
NWs - recently had been 2 hourly from 12am to morning. I only feed twice min of 3 hrs apart.

What do I do now? Normally in the week he falls asleep at 8.30 on school run its impossible to keep Him awake (we have tried v hard!) so that will prob continue. Which part of yday was responsible for our amazing night?
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Best night ever after odd EASY, what does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 18:23:24 pm »
Bump!

I've no idea what to do for best results with his EASY now. Oddly yday he didn't even eat or have that much milk.

Today (A 6.10) he had 35 min nap am and then 1-2pm (woke cause he'd done a poo). Asleep at 6.35pm.
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 21:27:25 pm »
It seems to me that he doesn't have much day sleep - about 2-2.5h total, is that right?  And he is 9 months?  That doesn't seem to be a lot of sleep to me - mine all slept longer during the day at that age - so your ew problems might well be to do with ot.  When mine were 9 months (if I remember rightly), we started the day between 6.30/7, first nap was 9-10, second nap was 12.15-2.15 and bedtime was between 6/6.30.  dd1 slept through at this point, the other 2 needed at least one feed overnight, although I think that 9 months was about the time that I started to put my food down about nfs.

2 things: it seems to me that he is not sleeping enough during the day, and his day is actually quite long - 13h vs 12h that we would typically aim for.  Is he generally very low sleep needs?  Also, what type of baby is he?

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 06:04:59 am »
He's definitely low sleep needs - in fact his EW and NWs improved with the less daytime sleep and long last A time on the strange day I posted.

Yday again he had not that much sleep (as above) and he slept 6.40-6. I went to him at 9.30pm and 1.30am. He self settled a few other occasions.

So it seems less sleep is good. Do I try to move towards 1 nap early I wonder. Perhaps cut back the first nap over time.
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 06:11:57 am »
Ps he's textbook with spirited mixed in!
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 06:56:43 am »
It sounds like less sleep is the key, then. I'm afraid I'm not so good on low sleep needs babies, as mine are all high sleep needs. You might get some better advice if you post with a title asking about moving to one nap so early - I can't imagine how it would work! Sorry not to be more help, although it does sound like you might have found the solution on your own! One thing I would caution is that ot can accumulate, so even with lsn babies you can find that you have a couple of great nights with very little sleep and then it all goes pear-shaped because they need just a bit of catch up sleep. Perhaps you could think about alternating days with one nap and two naps?

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 07:15:14 am »
Thanks clazzat there's some useful stuff to think about there. He's always been so awful and hard to work out what to do with him!
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013