Author Topic: Hyperactivity as a symptom of dairy allergy/intolerance?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Frankys Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Hyperactivity as a symptom of dairy allergy/intolerance?
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:40:57 pm »
Hi all,

Has anyone here experience with their little one having hyperactivity as a symptom of issues with dairy? We thought we were going crazy ourselves but hubby and I have noticed that when our son (2.5yrs) eats cheese (no added colours or flavours) he goes INSANE - racing around, saying and doing silly things and doesn't seem to be able to stay still and focus/look us in the eye etc which is very out of character for him.  He doesn't really get much other dairy in his diet.

I'm curious as hyperactivity seems to be more a symptom of a reaction to artificial colours etc and upon googling, appears to be recommended as a good food for children with hyperactivity disorders?!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Hyperactivity as a symptom of dairy allergy/intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 14:07:49 pm »
If there is gut damage of any kind, then dairy can absolutely cause behavioral issues. (Other common allergens can as well, like wheat and soy.) Worth a dairy-free trial for sure, and lots of probiotics. (There are some dairy-free probies out there.)