Author Topic: 20 months and still throwing food and spitting it out!!!!  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
20 months and still throwing food and spitting it out!!!!
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:33:27 am »
She is driving me crazy, for as long as i can remember my DD has thrown her food. When she throws it i give her 1 more chance then if she throws it again i tell her she must be finished if she is throwing her food and i take it away. I will them offer her fruit or yoghurt, which she usually eats but again throws around or paints yoghurt all over the table. Neeless tosay she wants to feed herself but its driving me crazy. She has even taken to leaning over the side of her highchair and spitting food out of her mouth. I tell her we dont spit our food and take it away but at the next meal it always just continues.

May i add she is a very spitited little one. I would just like to know if there is something i can do to teach her this is not ok behaviour?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 20 months and still throwing food and spitting it out!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:51:30 am »
Do you think it may be because she is full when she does this?  Or perhaps teething?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:28:38 am »
She is teething her molars (I think).But she always does it so i'm sure it can't be that. Possibly full but she does seem to do it even after just a few bites, and quite often at breakfast before even having 1 mouthfull.

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 12:31:34 pm »
With breakfast do you have enough time in the morning to try a later breakfast (sorry don't know if you are SAHM or if you have to get out on time in the morning etc)?  Mine has always had milk first in the morning and even that cannot be when he first wakes, it is at least 30 mins after waking, then won't take a proper breakfast until about an hour after the milk, if I gave him either too soon he takes almost nothing.

A few things I can think of
- are the portion sizes suitable? If the fruit and yoghurt portions are big enough to fill her up she could reject the main meal knowing fruit and yoghurt are coming and that these foods will satisfy her.  If you try very small portion sizes she may build more of an appetite for the next meal, even one or two bites of her main meal without spitting out would be a step in the right direction and move on to a very small portion of fruit and yoghurt before the spitting/throwing starts. ie avoid the behaviour by stopping offering food before the behaviour starts.
- are you asking if she is hungry before you begin the meal? Is she communicative either verbally or in body language that she is willing to eat?
- hand her only one piece of food, get in to stop the spitting/throwing whilst it takes place to stop it happening. If you sit right by her, can you grab her plate and get it under the food that is being dropped/spat to the floor as it leaves her hand/mouth. I found this useful to break the cycle of food getting to the floor. I then acted as though DS was 'clearing up' and said "Clear up, thank you, that's right food you have finished with goes on the plate for clear up." Then take the plate away. For the spitting maybe catch on the plate and say "If you don't like the food you can spit it onto your plate. Looks like you don't want this. OK, how about a drink of water?" remove the plate and give her a drink instead. Move on to the next part of the meal (fruit).
- use a firm, instructional voice. If it's really bad and continuing as long as this perhaps you need to stop giving second chances and just get her out of her chair straight away. If she's indicated she is hungry but then throw the food perhaps you need to spend a few days being quite firm in your expectations. Don't have too high expectations for a tidy dinner, but equally make it clear "food is for eating. If you don't want it, clear up please" (or if you don't want it say you are finished if she has a word or sign for this) and be really firm in your tone, low, calm and serious (as opposed to shrill, frustrated or shouting). I would take her out of her chair at the first throw rather than giving a second chance and then moving on to fruit.  You don't need to be angry and there doesn't need to be any punishment but rather put a stop to what is happening and just move on to your next activity.
- if there are certain foods that make you more frustrated (such as yoghurt being painted on the table) either find a way to accept this behaviour (such as see it as fine motor practice, the beginnings of drawing and writing for instance) and marvel at it, or stop serving those foods for now. It's really pointless giving her foods that are driving you up the wall. Cheese may be cleaner than yoghurt and still give her the dairy she needs.
- if you are picking up dropped/spat food during the meal I would stop. Leave it there until the meal is finished and she is out of the room. Show no reaction, maybe pretend you haven't noticed.
- at one time mine held out for fruit. We had an uncomfortable couple of days where he'd ask for dried fruit by going to the cupboard where they are kept and I refused him. I offered another food instead (cracker, bread stick, piece of cheese, vegetable etc) and when he screamed and howled I sat on the floor and offered him a cuddle. Right through I told him in a sympathetic voice "I know you want sultanas, I know, they are very tasty, yes I hear you want them. Mummy has to take care of DS, that's my job, I have to make sure you have a balanced diet, I can't let you have just fruit, you need other foods for your body to grow strong so you can play and have fun..." etc After 2 or 3 days he was eating a decent range of foods again and no more fits about fruit.
- try serving a very small portion of fruit and yoghurt alongside the main meal. This slightly contradicts the tip to give only once piece of food, but it also avoids the idea of holding out for the good stuff. If she knows she is getting the fruit/yoghurt anyway, she might be more inclined to swallow a bit of her main course. She may like to dip her main course in the yoghurt, or she may have more of an appetite after a small piece of fruit. Another phase here I put a few sultanas on DS's plate so he could begin with those as a bit of an appetizer.

Hope something here might help or trigger an idea for you.  If I think of anything else I'll pop back.

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 16:16:09 pm »
You can also try to create a special spot on her highchair tray that is designated to food she doesn't want. So instead of throwing it on the floor, she can put it into this one spot and then she doesn't have to eat it. Make sure she knows it's ok to leave food on her tray and she doesn't have to eat it. At the end of the meal, her tray doesn't have to be "clean" and empty.

Is she possibly also ready for a chair she can get into and out of herself so that if she's finished, she can walk away without having to "finish eating and clear her tray"? (DS was sitting/knealing in a real chair at 19 months).

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 19:37:26 pm »
As of tomorrow we start with all of the suggestions. I have tried using a serving plate before and only passing a piece at a time but she just screams for the full plate. Maybe i need to perservere with that longer.

She sits on a babydan chair so she could get up and down herself but i strap her in, she's so hyper and hangs off the side of it i'd be worries she would fall off it.

Portion size, maybe i give her too big a lunch and then she doesnt want dinner. What would you say is apropriate for lunch if she was having something like homemade fish fingers?

I work 3 days a week and need to be out the door but the other days i will try a later breakfast. She usually has 6oz milk on WU (like the second she wakes she asks for it) so usually around 6:30 then breakfast is 7:30

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 21:32:28 pm »
I have tried using a serving plate before and only passing a piece at a time but she just screams for the full plate.
Not sure how you approached it but I would saying in a cheery voice "of course you can have it all, it's yours, eat that piece and then I'll pass you another". Or what I also did in the dropping phase was let him have the full plate right up until the point he was about to drop, then do a very fast manoeuvre to either get the plate under the drop "if you don't want it, just leave it on the plate", then "thank you" when it is caught on the plate, or I'd grab his hand (firm but gentle) and move it over the plate for dropping or take it off him. Then remove the entire plate, he had his chance to have the full plate and to eat, then he could have one piece.  I agree with pp on having a place she can put food she doesn't want, here I said it was his plate (if he had one) or the tray (on the days he had a tray, we have both the ikea high chair with tray and the baby dan so it depended where we were). Also you can remove that one piece completely away if she doesn't want it on her plate as it might put her off the rest of the food.

What would you say is apropriate for lunch if she was having something like homemade fish fingers
I'd say serve one (I'm imagining a shop bought fish finger size although you are home making) along with a half slice of bread and butter and a few slices of carrot for instance.  A toddler portion of protein is 1 - 2 tablespoons of fish/meat/beans or 1 egg so quite small, half a fish finger would be acceptable as a portion for a small toddler or a small appetite.  Two servings of protein a day so 1 fish finger could actually count as a full day's worth of protein.  Half a slice of bread is a serving of grains (6 serves per day), 1 - 2 tbl sp of veg is a servings (2 servings per day).  If she doesn't like too many different foods in one meal then just serve the fish finger and leave the carbs and veg for a different meal (but at the next meal perhaps don't try to get more protein into her, just serve veg and grains).

I've never reduce the morning milk, even now at over 3yo he still has a full cup of milk in the morning. But if you can't move breakfast later or if it doesn't help perhaps reduce the milk at WU so she is more hungry for breakfast solids, then offer another small milk at another time in the day, perhaps at mid morning or mid afternoon snack time.

Who cares for her when you are working? CM? Is the behaviour around food the same with them?

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 05:28:48 am »
My DD is as spirited as they come (or at least I've been told by multiple teachers and parents at the daycare).  Like your DD, she throws food and paints yogurt/sauce/ketchup all over her high chair tray and herself.  She'll also ask for a napkin, immediately throw it on the floor, and ask for another one... LOL.  I'm the "softie" parent and try to distract her by letting her use my fork.  I find that she does eat a lot more if she is using my fork.  My DH is the stern one and won't put up with that kind of shenanigans.  So if he is in charge and she's throwing food, he immediately removes her from her high chair and put her in her crib.  And obviously she will cry, but DH will get her after a minute or so and ask if she wants to eat or if she is done.  Sometimes she "gets it" after being sent to bed the first time.  Sometimes, it takes 2 or 3 tries, but my DH remains very firm with her.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 18:49:29 pm »
Well i am definitly over doing portion size, i make the fish fingers about the same as shop size and i giver her 2 of those with (if i'm being bad 3 potato alphabets and 2tbsp peas). So sorry to ask again but if i was giving her pasta spirals i probably give about 15 spirals, i assume this is also too much?

She is at the CM's 3 days a week and apparantly never throws her food there, she sits at the table with 2 other toddlers who are 2 1/2 so i assume she copies them as she also eats all sorts of stuff she'll not even try at home,like scrambled egg.

Mama2athena, i laughed when i saw your dd asks for a napking then immediatly throws it to the floor and asks for another one as my DD does this aswell. She throws it down then moans cos she wants it back up. She also loves to use my fork and spoon but she ends up bashing it on the table and its glass so she doesnt get it for long.

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 21:03:36 pm »
Whilst some LOs might eat 2 fish fingers I wouldn't expect it, and if they did eat 2 I wouldn't expect them to finish off 3 potato alphabets and peas too (I have no idea how big an alphabet is but I'm guessing on the size).  It would be fine to serve 2 if she was eating 2 though, but then maybe don't expect her to eat more protein that day, or possibly even the next day.
Also if she is eating well at the CM she might not actually need as much food when she is home.  I can imagine how frustrating it is to know she is eating so nicely at the CMs though. Try to breath :)

WRT portion sizes, I found it really hard to find information on this when I went looking and I can understand why. If a LO has a big appetite and goes *over* the given sizes a concerned parent might cut back when actually that child needs that amount of food, whilst on the other hand for parents of kids who appear to live off fresh air it can send you into a spin and panic that your child isn't getting enough because they didn't meet all those portion sizes in one day.  Parents anxiety over food can be picked up by LOs quite easily and end up causing more problems.   So long as you understand this is only a guidance, 'toddler' covers a wide age range and also a how range of kids, some naturally smaller, some naturally bigger, different energy levels so different needs etc etc etc.
Here's the info I found - remember it is just guidance - remember too it's better to look at diet across a whole week rather than each day, some days might be big on protein (fish fingers) other days big on something else, it can all balance out.
Also to get a decent idea I suggest getting a set of cooks cups, not a tea cup, and put some food in to see how much/little it is.  15 pieces of pasta might be 2 or 3 servings, and it's ok to serve them all at one meal if she is interested but while she isn't interested then yes perhaps it's too much.

Dairy 4 servings
1 serving =
half cup milk or yogurt
1.5oz cheese (1" cube)

Grains 6 servings
1 serving =
half slice bread
quarter cup cereal
quarter cup rice
quarter cup pasta
3 crackers

Fruit 2 servings
1 servings =
quarter of a fresh fruit
toddler size fist full of fruit

Vegetables 2 servings
1 servings =
1-2 tables spoons

Protein 2 servings
1 serving =
1 egg
1-2 tables spoons meat/fish/poultry/beans

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 18:18:08 pm »
Does she have her own fork or spoon? My kids were definitely eating with cutlery at this age.  Maybe it would encourage her to use her hands less which might help with the throwing.  Does she have a placemat to protect the table?

There is some helpful info on the nhs website about toddler portions.  http://www.nhs.uk/Video/Pages/whats-the-right-portion-size-for-my-toddler.aspx?searchtype=Video&
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 18:31:48 pm »
Yeah she mostly uses a spoon or fork. We dont have a placemat, we had a vinyl tablecloth but she pulls at it so everything on the table is likely to go flying x

My angel baby girl

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 18:29:40 pm »
I wonder if she does just have a small appetite, she didnt eat a thing all day. No dinner last night,today no breakfast,snack, lunch, yoghurt refused everything then tonight for dinner i made fishcakes. (I was a bit rushed to it wasnot homemade but a sainsburys fresh haddock fishcake which are large). I gave her half with peas and bread and i put the other half on my plate and she took her plate tipped all the food onto my proper (not plastic plate) and procedeed to eat all of hers and mine without throwing any then pushed her chair away from the table when she was finished. I offered fruit afterwards but needless to say she said no.

Maybe i am just trying to give her too much food and she is throwing it to get the point across that she doesnt want it?

My angel baby girl

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 18:34:28 pm »
Yes sounds like it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 20:47:09 pm »
Yes it does sound like it. She can eat when she's ready to hey?! :)

Couple of thoughts
- shop bought fishcake, she may have recognized it. My DS knew a shop bought fish finger from a home made one and for a long time only ate the shop bought. I made the decision to continue to serve the shop bought because it was it was almost the only protein he would eat in the week but I continued to persevere with home made and it was well worth it, we had success in time.
- maybe she would like a real plate like Mummy's? Is she saying "I can eat like a grown up so I'd like a grown up plate"?  I started using side plates which match our dinner plates for DS as early as I could. Might be worth considering (but do stay close for any drops or throws and don't use your best china!).  I know DS is very keen to have the same as others at the table, the plate, the cutlery, chopsticks, etc. The only plastic he wants is his water cup.  Does she like her fork and spoon? We have the stainless steal set which looks just like an adult set but smaller, DS wouldn't eat with plastic kid's cutlery.
- if you've been firm with stopping her throwing and lifting her down to go play when she has thrown or spat maybe today was the day she showed you she's been listening?

Sounds like progress :)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 18:21:03 pm »
Well same today, she didnt eat a thing all day (at the CM'sthis time) but ate a huge dinner. I gave her a proper plate and she loved it. Not a thing thrown, she took her bib off when she finished and when i asked her if she wanted some water melon she put it back on again. Then asked to get down when she was finished  ;D

She likes my fork and spoon, not so fussed on her own. I didnt know you could get ones that looked like grown up cutlery and i think she would like a knife that would actually cut her food as she does try to copy me but baby knifes wont go through anything.

I'm hoping that its the beginning of things getting better and not just that she is starving from not eating all day.

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 18:40:39 pm »
Do you have something like the £ shop there?
Our cutlery is from the £ shop, I got 3 or 4 sets so we have enough to wash etc.  They are very similar to these from IKEA
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60137571/
The fork is sharp enough to stab food (I feel some forks are too rounded to be practical and useful, same with knives) and I'm not sure about the IKEA knife but our knife is just about able to be used to cut.  They do look much like adult cutlery but are smaller so easier to handle.

Well, I'm amazed she can go all day without eating - but it sounds great that she showed such lovely table manners in the evening :)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 18:46:22 pm »
We do have a £ shop,i didnt even think of looking there. Thank you.

We have 2 year molars coming in (she is always drooling and always has her finger pushing down in the back of her mouth, so i guess they are anyway) so that probably answers the not eating all day then she is just starving for dinner.

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 20:20:52 pm »
Oh 2nd yr molars are awful!

I love the £ shop, for the things you never expect them to have.  I couldn't believe my luck when I came across the cutlery.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 18:08:15 pm »
I'm off work tomorrow so its off to the £ shop  ;D

My angel baby girl