Author Topic: Scooting downhill  (Read 6012 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Scooting downhill
« on: May 07, 2014, 14:58:00 pm »
L just got into scooting last weekend and is loving it. Especially going downhill. Really fast.

The only trouble is it always ends up with her having to crash/fall over to stop ::)

There is a brake at the back of the scooter (it's a mini micro) but L doesn't use it. Can it be used all the way down a hill anyway to stop from going too fast?

At what age could your LOs use a scooter brake?  How do they stop when going downhill? Or not go too fast?

There aren't many flat places round here so it's tricky to avoid downhill bits.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 14:59:42 pm by cathn »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 15:17:39 pm »
We are a family of scooterers!  :)

If he "rides" the brakes this will have him go slower and more controlled. So have him practice applying brakes a bit at a time and gradually.  It's not great for the brake pad but we do it.  The thing about being able to use the brakes effectively is, he needs to practice balancing on just one leg and coasting and having that free leg dangle near the back and then get the hang of applying brakes with the free leg, not the support balance leg, kwim?   

DS was 4 1/2 when he got his scooter, so not sure how good your DS's balance is at his age.  I had DS practice doing a mini one leg balance scale/arabesque to get the hang of coasting one one leg and the other leg free not pumping, then he started using he brake.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Scooting downhill
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 17:13:56 pm »
Both of mine can - Megan is almost 4 and a bit intermittent with the back brake - but she does know how to either step off it or scrape the sole of her foot on the floor to slow down.

I guess the back brake does need one foot balance to be quite good though. Both my kids are in gymnastics and so usually pretty good at those types of things.

I think find some small hills and try and explain and demonstrate.

And yes, you can keep your foot on the back the whole way down to control speed. I do it, but neither kid does really.

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 19:40:05 pm »
I'm having this problem too, Cath. LJ's had a few weeks of scooting, is v confident and goes so fast down hills. We are teaching her to use the break - mini micro too! She can do it going along straight, but is working on it, I suggested she wear a helmet if she wants to skate downhill without me interrupting her lol. She agreed but not got there yet xxx

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 01:57:47 am »
Thanks everyone :) it's great to hear your experiences

guess we'll start practicing how to use the brake :)

Hope she masters it quickly or she might not have any trousers left without holes in the knees soon.. :P
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old