Author Topic: Overtired 6 week old or just fussy?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Nickie18

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Overtired 6 week old or just fussy?
« on: May 07, 2014, 21:52:00 pm »
We have been doing an EASY type schedule since day one with my LO. She usually does very good waking at 7:30am and then A time of about 1-1.15 hours. she usually will wake twice for feeds around 12-1 and 3-4am. then I wake her at 7:30am. Last night she seemed very fussy and was making noises all night. No crying, but just her squeaks. But then this morning she actually was awake before I woke her at 7:25 some crying. Since then she has seemed extremely fussy and tired. After her 1:30pm feed she was yawning immediately. Then started fussing around 2:15 and put her down at 2:30 after a nappy change and swaddle. Then she started crying as I held her. No rocking or shushing or patting helped. I finally put her down and she cried for about one minute and then off to sleep. She self settles very well. Just don't know what is up. Should I put her down after the feed if she is tired if only A time of 35-45 minutes?

Do I wake her at the end of a 2 hour nap to feed her on the 3 hour routine? Do I let her wake up herself?

Also her A time seems to be getting shorter! She was at about 1.15 for a couple weeks and now she gets so fussy if we keep her up that long... Maybe just a growth spurt or phase? She is drinking about 4-5 ounces every 3 hours which is more for her (she is a little thing)...

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Overtired 6 week old or just fussy?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 22:17:10 pm »
Now I am worried about her crying herself to sleep but she seemed happier that way... What to do??

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 00:25:21 am »
Anyone? She just had her first short nap and would not settle. Can an easy going easy to settle baby (self settled in mid nap) go to a short napper? I thought she was an angel baby and now she fusses even just sitting in her bouncy! Is that possible or just growth spurt issues? yikes? Help!

Offline danaadell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM Rx
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:29:20 am »
I know the feeling! 6 weeks is a tough time. I was misreading some queues and not giving him enough A.  It got better after the 6 week growth spurt.
Warren Henry -- 2/7/14

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:40:32 am »
How long did the spurt last?

Offline nevinsmama

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 02:16:44 am »
Hi hun, sorry you got missed. :( Yes, 6 weeks is a rough time. Short naps can hit around this time and they WILL pass but it can be close to the 6 months mark for many. I second the Growth Spurt suggestion.

Your A time looks right on for her age, I suspect there is a Wonder Week right around this age too, which can throw everything out the window. If you have a good carrier that is comfortable for both of you, then I would use it...liberally. Ah, yes, a WW at 5 weeks..have a look here:
http://www.thewonderweeks.com/mental-leap-1/

Hang in there!

Maryn

[/url]

Offline danaadell

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM Rx
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 16:17:56 pm »
My 6 week growth spurt lasted a week and then the extra night feeding took a couple more days to drop (he's a big eater and loves any opportunity for an extra meal).
Warren Henry -- 2/7/14

Offline danaadell

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM Rx
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 16:20:03 pm »
Do you do a dream feed? I started one a couple weeks ago (late I know!) and it cut out the overnight feed.
Warren Henry -- 2/7/14

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 22:49:14 pm »
No dream feed as it seemed to wake her up... She usually wakes at around 1am and then around 4 or so, then sleeps until wake up at 7:30am. Last night she slept from 8 until 1 until 5:45am!

My biggest issue is that after the 3rd feed at 1:30pm she is a slug! So sleepy right at the and of the feed. Yawning already. I don't want to put her down too early, but then if I keep her up even until 1 hour A time, she usually wakes and cannot resettle...
What do you do if LO is sleepy right after waking at this point?

Offline danaadell

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM Rx
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 23:51:23 pm »
We have shorter than average A time. Someone's dinner was all of the A time even at 6 weeks
Warren Henry -- 2/7/14