Author Topic: When to drop to 2 bottles  (Read 8039 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 20:10:18 pm »
Thank u so much :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 20:16:50 pm »
So today I decided to drop the bottle after his morning nap which is usually aroubd 11 with lunch around 12. He took a late nap because he's been handling longer A times and slept until 7 this morning. So he didbt wake from first nap until 1230 thought it would be a good day to try and drop that bottle. I put him in high chair and offered him some formula in cup while I was preparing lunch. He only took about an oz and then ate a big lunch. Around 330 he was fussy and it was kind of early for nap so offered him some more formula in sippy cup while I read to him. He took avout 2 oz and I put him down for a nap. Not sure if that's ok to offer him the formula as a snack as he wouldn't normally get a bottle at that time. I just thought since he normally takes 5-8 oz at 11 and he only took one that he coukd be hungry. Should I have just offered him a snack and some water? Thanks

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: When to drop to 2 bottles
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 21:09:44 pm »
Honestly I think you do what works for you and some formula in a sippy is fine. If you wanted up offer water and a snack you can or you can do formula and a snack. It's really up to you hun x
Zoe

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 08:49:50 am »
I agree. It's also quite handy to have LO become accustomed to taking a bit of milk from the sippy cup as some refuse so I'd see it as a positive :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 10:21:18 am »
Obviously as he gets older and eats more solid food there isn't a need for the formula so I almost feel like if I'm dropping a bottle is it really necessary to still offer the formula at all? Isn't it just the idea of getting him used to no more bottles? Maybe today il just try to put him in high chair after his nap and offer him a snack? Like a piece of fruit and some water or formula in sippy. He's not intersted in sitting in my lap to drink a sippy cup of formula and if the idea is to cut out the bottle routine then maybe I should be doing just that.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 11:05:27 am »
It's natural for the formula/milk to drop a bit getting towards 11/12 months and as solids increase but the idea of milk (formula now, cows later) being accepted in a cup is more to do with when the bottles are gone (12 months if you want to follow guidance although you know many people keep a bottle long after this) and LO still needs a milk drink.  Even after 12 months they should be drinking two servings of milk per day, that's why I said it's useful to get used to having milk in a sippy cup.  It's not vital to offer milk in a sippy now, just handy, and nothing 'wrong' with it.
i didn't give DS milk in a sippy until he was 12 months when I weaned the BT bottle.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 11:31:24 am »
I personally didnt offer milk in sippy at snack time, i used to do water and maybe some cheese and crackers or a yoghurt to keep up milky intake and then did milk at breakfast and BT when stopped bottles and he still has milk in a sippy now at 2 yrs old but like creations said its handy to get them used to it.
Dont worry too much as if the sippy is being accepted thats good x
Zoe