Author Topic: Support for dropping the nap part 11  (Read 50526 times)

Offline Mattsmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2014, 20:23:10 pm »
Thanks for the insight...

So, DH picked DS up from nursery today. He did not nap at nursery. They went for a haircut and he fell asleep on the car ride home. Slept for 25 minutes...
Just up now (just after 4pm where we are)
What time should I do BT?  I don't reckon he'll be ready for bed by 8pm...

"But the fighter still remains"

Offline trimbler

Re: Support for dropping the nap part 11
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2014, 20:33:40 pm »
Ooh that's always a tricky one! So he'd normally have about 6.5h after an hour's nap... this one was later but shorter and he'll probably be more tired because he was up for longer beforehand? TBH I'd just try for 8pm anyway, whatever happens you may at least find out whether to aim earlier or later if this happens again - sorry that's not helpful, but I would just think of aiming for somewhere in between his usual and NND BTs. 4h is still a reasonable amount of A time to BT I think, especially after a short, late nap? I'm pretty sure we've had something similar and it wasn't such a disaster!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2014, 06:18:37 am »
I would have done 8pm too - sorry prob too late!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2014, 09:27:08 am »
Hi trimbler!

Congrats on the birth of your DD  :-*

DS hasn't car napped for a long time (too interested in everything out the window), so that's not likely to be an option. I work pt so am usually home in the afternoons - DS only does 5 mornings at nursery.

Interesting about how they are old enough to know they are tired - DS was saying that and wanting a nap / EBT before this week  :) Now he's super-wired so I guess he's having a developmental leap / GS or somesuch  ??? The thing is, he looks so tired with bags and shadows under his eyes  :'(

Yesterday I asked him to play quietly in his room if he didn't want to sleep. He wouldn't!! He just screeched and howled until I got him. I then asked him to play quietly in the living room, so he continued to pester me but in a whisper instead  ::)

I'm having thyroid issues atm which means I get bouts of fatigue and actually need to put my feet up in peace for a while or I start to get dizzy  :( DS not resting / napping couldn't have come at a worse time  :'(

I'm sure he'll be a lot better once nursery starts again, as he'll have other kids to play with so he won't be needing me all the time! He's content to play by himself for a while or watch TV for a bit after he's been at nursery - probably needs to unwind!

Just need to survive until Wednesday, then see how he goes and give him a nap / EBT as required...

Thanks ladies  :-* :-*

Offline trimbler

« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2014, 10:18:46 am »
(((Hugs))) Hedgehog17, that sounds hard! I've noticed my DS has suddenly found loads of energy, maybe their age? I'm sure I read somewhere about a surge in testosterone around age 4, I'm sure I'm seeing this with mine! Two things which helped when I was feeling fatigued in early/late pregnancy: (i) he has a vet set, so I'd lie on the sofa and he'd check me over, give me medicine etc; (ii) when I could tell he really needed to run off some energy, 'Simon says, run around the coffee table 20 times', 'Simon says, do 20 star jumps',... you get the idea! And all from the comfort of the sofa :) I'm not very imaginative but I'm sure there are other things which take more energy out of him than out of you. Of course there's always TV/computer when you're really stuck, but that doesn't do much for his soaring energy levels! My DS certainly finds it harder to sleep if he hasn't used up his energy, maybe that's happening with yours? He may still be very tired but unable to settle with all that energy. Do you have a garden? At times like this I wish I did, although we are spoilt for parks, it's a lot of effort to get there when you're unwell. I know I'm going to struggle with his energy when DH goes back to work after his summer break (teacher), we'll have to have lots of sling naps for DD but I really do want one nap a day in the cot, and that's when DS will be stuck inside having to play by himself until I get her settled...

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2014, 17:42:16 pm »
I did quiet time with Henry for a good 3 months after naps stopped, I really needed that down time. He had a special quiet time box with activities in and I set his gro clock for 1 hour.

Offline trinity33

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2014, 17:15:41 pm »
Hiya. We did try a really ebt the other day 6pm but he slept until 8 then was up for 2.5 hours, full of beans. Like he'd had a nap and was ready to go again. He finally went to sleep at 10.30 and was still up at 6 the next day. So don't think that option is going to work for us.
I've had a chat with nursery and I think we've agreed to do naps a few times a week. He also seems to be gradually getting a better understanding of when he needs sleep, al be it slowly. He admitted that he was tired the night we did ebt. First time in 3 years!

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2014, 19:59:20 pm »
Thanks ladies  :-*

Yes, definite energy surge here! He's wanting to do more wrestling too, so very likely testosterone related  :P DS won't do a great deal of physical stuff alone - I have tried! - he prefers a playmate, which is fine if I have energy, but almost impossible when I don't. He went out for a run around the streets with DH yesterday before dinner, and he must have been running for about 1/2 mile in total  :o

We do have a good-sized garden so I can get him to burn up energy there, but again he prefers a playmate so I don't get to sit down much. I am trying to get myself sorted out so that I can do more with him, and have promised he can balance bike to / from nursery when term starts again  :)

We don't have a gro clock, but I could set the kitchen timer for quiet time. I think he would still yell for me and get bored with his own company pretty soon though  :(

He's on to day 5 of not napping and he looks so tired  :'( I am going to try putting him down tomorrow afternoon, fingers crossed he takes a catch-up nap!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2014, 20:15:46 pm »
we have just done 3 NND's which I don't think has happened before...got her down today for her nap but she refused. Tomorrow will have to be a short car nap at best as have plans to see SIL so fingers crossed we can get her to nap Tuesday x

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2014, 13:13:37 pm »
Back again :P
we have been doing 45 min naps for a few months now and our nights range between 10-10.5hrs. He is still tired in the morning with bags under his eyes when he wakes and is grumpy when woken from his nap. EBT does nothing... he just rolls around for hours in bed. I have tried days of naps and NND in between but i think L likes consistency and it just throws him off not knowing what will happen next. Nights after NND range from 11-12.25hr. Should I just drop the nap at this point and set a BT? Will nights lengthen in time?

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2014, 13:53:50 pm »
MLL I found that a capped nap didn't help my dd either. She was grumpy with the shorter nap and was ew cos she was ot so I just dropped nap CT which suits her much better. She can't handle long nnds tho so day length is Max 11h which means today BT will be5. Luckily she does tack on and other days she had 5 pm BT wu was 7 ::O ::O. Yesterday she had 14h night and 11.25h day and It's been a few months now since we dropped the nap so she does tack on better now. I think that she could prob handle a longer day now after a 14h night as she didn't go back to sleep this am when she woke at 6- ut chattering from her. If she does another 14h night I'm going to try 11.5-11.75h day.
aishi :)

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2014, 13:55:05 pm »
How old is your DD Aishi? When did she drop the nap?

Offline Aishi

« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2014, 14:25:07 pm »
She 31mo now and dropped the nap in June. I wasn't expecting it as shes HSN and was doing 2h nap but it was robbing from nihhtvand capping nap didnt help.

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2014, 14:10:38 pm »
DS took a 2.5hr catch up nap yesterday  :D ;D 8) He looks so much better for it!

NND today, then will attempt a nap tomorrow as he should be tired from his first morning back at nursery... just to help I'm going to get him there and back on his bike and leave the car at home  ;)

From next week he'll have an activity on Tuesdays and Fridays after lunch, and I'll take him swimming one other afternoon, so hopefully he'll be ok to nap on non-busy afternoons if he needs to!

Offline Aishi

« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2014, 05:55:53 am »
Would you say this is ut?

Dd wakes at 6 after a 11h night so I do 5 pm BT and she will then wu at 7. Yesterday it was 7.20. I did 7pm BT so 11h45 min day and she woke at 6.45 today but didn't go back to sleep which she has done when waking early on her long nights if that makes sense?

Should I have done a longer day yesterday?