Author Topic: Support for dropping the nap part 11  (Read 50531 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Support for dropping the nap part 11
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2014, 06:58:38 am »
Aishi that's a great night, not quite sure what you're worried about ??? If she went down easily at BT and STTN perhaps she just had enough sleep by 6.45am.  I don't really think there's a magic formula or a magic amount of A time to get to an exact 24h total of wake & sleep. We could do the same length day 10 times and not get the same length night. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear hun, I know you like consistency/predictability ;) but you've probably got to accept that variability is normal. She's a good sleeper, trust her to regulate if she needs more xx

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2014, 16:56:42 pm »
Lol I guess you're right Katherine. You'd think with two los I'd have learnt to let go of the control by now...
aishi :)

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2014, 17:45:27 pm »
My evil plan worked  ;) He took a nap today  ;D

I'm going to keep encourging walking or cycling to and from nursery, as it's definitely helping to tire him out physically!

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #288 on: September 03, 2014, 18:36:18 pm »
That's good hedgehog17, I find I need to tire mine out too to get the sleep he needs. How are you coping with all the walking though? Hope you start to get better soon!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2014, 12:41:44 pm »
Thanks hon  :-*

I'm ok in the mornings, as long as I can get a rest in the afternoons! I'm getting some help and support from a thyroid forum, have adjusted my supplements, and I seem to be stabilising  :)

Unfortunately with adrenal fatigue and hypothyroid it's going to take 6 - 12 months to recover, as you have to build up the medication slowly  :(

In the meantime I'm coping ok with the morning walk up, back, then up and back again with only slightly sore leg muscles to show for it  ;D

Letting DS have a NND today, fortunately he's got a playmate (my boss!) so I can rest  8)

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2014, 05:54:42 am »
I am a bit confused and dont know what to do... ???
We are on day 5 without the nap. Generally his mood is ok. We get a few meltdowns here or there but nothing major so far (although yesterday after a shorter night he was getting on my nerves all day!)

So the past two night we have been having NW, either CO or he has been up for a while. His top two molars are not completely out yet and i cant figure out if this is teething pain or OT setting in. These are the last 5 days or so...

I set BT for 1930, but did 1900 the first night because he was exhausted after a 10hr night with nap the day before.

01/09
WU 0700
BT 1855
WU 0720

02/09
WU 0720
BT 1925
WU 0700

03/09
WU 0700
BT 1930
WU 0735

04/09
WU 0735
BT 1930
NW 0450-0605 started as whining in his sleep before he fully woke, gave meds
WU 0800

05/09
WU 0800
BT 1930
NW 2230 whining in his sleep
2300 DM before i went to bed
NW 0330 whining in his sleep, tossing and turning
NW 0430 whining in his sleep
WU 0715

So what do you think? Should i be doing a nap on the 4th day or should i stick to set bt and no nap? The meds dont seem to be doing much which makes me doubt its teeth but actually meds havent helped much with molars at all so i dont know...

Offline Aishi

« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2014, 06:10:08 am »
Liam is lsn isn't he? If so those nights look pretty good. I would guess nws are ot creeping in so i would do nap on day 4 but only if it doesn't rob from night sleep. My dd is HSN and any nap was robbing from night so I had to drop nap ct. However I don't do set BT as she is very sensitive to ot so if I notice ot creeeping in I do ebt (10.75-11h day) luckily she tacks on tho.

Have u tried ebt at all? It took a while for dd to settle into nnds and to tack on but now she often has 14h nights.

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #292 on: September 06, 2014, 06:27:23 am »
I think he is LSN to ASN (i still am not sure ::) ). The nights he slept 12hrs or more his mood was considerably better than less than 12hrs.
I have not tried EBT actually. He does tack on but not reliably... What time would you do EBT today then? He is chewing on his fingers all the time so i know he is teething, i just dont know if the NW are caused by that or by OT, yk?
A few months ago if i would do a NND and the next day a nap it wouldnt rob from his night and we could switch between nap and no nap, but now that things are further along into the 1-0 i am not sure...
I could try a 45 min nap today (although he might tantrum about going to take a nap after 5 days without one) but when should i do bt? In the past he has needed 7hrs A before nap and 6hrs A after a 45 min nap but after so many NND i dont know if i should stick to the same plan...

Offline Aishi

« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2014, 06:57:30 am »
If you do a nap day I would probably aim for BT half an hour later than normal...and BT on nnd 11h after wu. After so many nnds my dd would be tired enough to sleep after a nap.

Tbh tho I still go by a time as it suits dd better. Yesterday she had 12h20min day after several 13h+ nights (as 11h days meant she was waking after 12h night) so she did 5.50-6.10. She had a few nws and i  had to resettle at 5 as she was little ot and  shes still asleep at 7.50....they're all so different tho.

Iiwm i would try ebt rather than nap but that's cos it makes judging BT a pita!

Offline Aishi

« Reply #294 on: September 07, 2014, 06:12:20 am »
Yea just ignore what I say. I completely misjudged dd yesterday. She did 7.50-7.45 BT had nw at 4.30, 5 and ew at 6.30 :-/ this on the back of a 14h night so u would think another 12h day would be ok. go figure

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #295 on: September 07, 2014, 06:37:23 am »
Haha Aishi!! These toddlers are a mystery, arent they?
Yesterday we dis a nap as he was exhausted!
WU 0715
Nap 1410-1500
BT asleep at 2030
STTN withhou CO (yay!!!)
WU 0700  >:(

So now i can see he is a bit tired from the shorter night... So confusing! He STTN but is tired because the night is short...  What to do?
I guess i will try 3NND and a nap on the 4th day for a week or two and see how it goes...
I think the problem is a mix of OT with teething because i checked his molar yesterday and it has cut a bit a bit more in the last day or 2. He has a history of EW because of teeth and nothing helps it...

Offline Aishi

« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2014, 07:50:29 am »
Ugh I hated molars. Such a relief when they all came thru!

Liam's TS was just under 11.5h. Is that normal for him? You could try a 30 min nap and BT a tad earlier and see if he has more overall night sleep? Otherwise plan sounds good :)

I'll be doing 5.30 BT to get back on track ::)

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2014, 09:01:15 am »
His TS was 11hr15 which is not enough for him. He needs 12hrs at least to be well rested. Oh well... Nothing much i can do about it...
I have tried a 30 min nap and it was a disaster! We cant go below 45min or he is a bear when woken.

I hope you can get back on track quickly and that Liam's are theough soon. I am officially sick and tired of teething!

Offline oliversmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2014, 17:14:00 pm »
Hello!  I hope it's okay to hop on this thread as I believe the 1-0 is upon us!  :P

DS will be 3 in less than 2 wks; he's been a great napper until last weekend when he did not nap for 2 days in a row.  He napped the whole week at daycare this week (he is in daycare M-F).  Yesterday (Saturday) he took 50 min to fall asleep at naptime (my plan was to get him up if he didn't fall asleep within 1 hr), he slept 1 hr 20 min, and then spent the night at grandma's last night and didn't fall asleep until 10 pm!  I am picking him up today at grandma's and am hoping for a car nap on the way home. 

This could be developmental but I am pretty sure we also entered the 1-0, as DS is also LSN/ASN.  I have a feeling he will continue to nap at daycare (much more stimulating environment than home) but naps on the weekends may be a thing of the past.  Is that okay?  He seemed to handle his NNDs last weekend just fine.  Was thinking I could continue to offer naps on weekends if we are home, but if we are out and about to not worry about getting home for a nap.  Do you think that sounds like an okay plan for now?  (I know "plan" is a laughable word during transitions ::) )

Hoping y'all will be able to help me through this transition, and I will do my best to support you too!  :)

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2014, 21:43:46 pm »
Hi oliversmommy!

At the start of 1-0 for us, we would find that there were some days when a nap wasn't possible (he's never napped out since he was about 5mo in the sling, besides car naps on long journeys!), and we used those days to guage how ready he was to drop it. It's lovely now that we know he can manage a NND when needed without falling apart, and it sounds like yours can too :) But atm he can't do two in a row without getting really tired during that second afternoon, although we have to do that again this week so we'll see what happens...

How much A time does yours have in the morning? Whenever ours struggled consistently to get to sleep at nap time (I've done the same - he's chatted/played with his stuffed toys until I was about to give up, before going to sleep!), we would gradually extend the morning A time, which would certainly help - not sure how much choice you have with daycare?

Also wondering whether being at grandma's was too exciting/strange and that's why he didn't get to sleep until really late?

Your plan sounds good to me, just watch for naps robbing from night sleep to the extent that he's too tired the following morning after a short night. Ours needs a good 11h at night ideally, although he can manage a few shorter ones without too much trouble - we've shortened the nap whenever his nights got consistently shorter, to give him more night sleep. How long are your DS's naps usually?