Author Topic: Almost 6 month old early riser  (Read 1474 times)

Offline KariAnn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 13, 2014, 18:02:33 pm »
My son has been a very good night sleeper but recently he has started waking up earlier and earlier.  Previously we would wake him to start the day at 7am.  Then a few weeks ago he was waking at 6:30 or 6:45 and then it was 6 and then 5:30.  Now it seems to be consistently between 5 and 6 (closer to 5 than 6).  When he wakes up he’s alert and happy and seemingly ready to start the day.  Typically we go in and rock him for up to an hour when he’ll fall asleep for another 30-40 minutes and that’s it.  At night, he goes to sleep easily.  We start the bedtime routine around 7:30 and he’s in bed by 7:50.  I put him to bed drowsy but definitely awake and usually he sleeps soundly until the early rising.  I’ve tried everything I can think of – black out shades, sound machine, earlier bedtime, later bedtime…nothing seems to work.

He’s also not a great napper which may be related.  He will only sleep for about a half hour at a time.  Right now we’re doing naps at 9, 12, and 3.  At 4:30 or 5 when he’s back from daycare, I’ll hold him for a nap until 6 just so he can get an extended nap.  I’d love for him to be able to nap longer but my main concern is the early rising.

Any thoughts?  I feel like I’ve read the whole internet trying to find a solution.  Maybe it’s just a phase?

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Almost 6 month old early riser
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 13:01:28 pm »
Hi KariAnn... I suggest posting up your typical day in EASY format as I'm sure there will be some advice people can give on your routine, which will help with sleep/naps.

There is also some stickies on early wakings in here, just in case there is something recommended that you haven't tried; FAQ's - Frequently Asked Questions & Related Information

Offline KariAnn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 17:11:31 pm »
With his short naps his EASY schedule gets a little messy in the afternoon.  Here's what he's currently doing:

E   7:00 AM   6-7 oz breast milk, some solids
A   7:30   
S   9:00   30-45 minute nap
Y      
E   11:00   8 oz breast milk, some solids
A   11:30   
S   12:00   30-45 minute nap
Y      
E   3:00   8 oz breast milk
A      
S   3:15   30-45 minute nap
Y      
E      
A      
S   5:00   60 minute nap being held
Y      
E   6:00   breastfeed
A   6:30   
S   7:30   breast feed, bedtime
Y      

My desired schedule, which I've provided to daycare but hasn't been achieved since he gets very tired with his short naps is:
E   7:00 AM   6-7 oz breast milk, some solids
A   7:30   
S   9:00   90-120 minute nap
Y      
E   11:00   8 oz breast milk, some solids
A   11:30   
S   1:00   90-120 minute nap
Y      
E   3:00   8 oz breast milk
A   3:30   
S   5:00   30-45 minute nap
Y      
E   6:00   breast feed
A   6:30   
S   7:30   breast feed, bedtime
Y      

I'm not sure how I get daycare to lengthen the naps.  Maybe this is the problem?  Possibly related to the early risings?

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Almost 6 month old early riser
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 22:08:52 pm »
You say naps are 30-45m - do you know which are more common as 30m is often overtired & 40 ican be undertired, so that could be another clue

I believe that early rising and short naps can mean that the A times need pushing a bit though - have you tried that? Have you increased A times at all recently?

If not you can try gradually increasing the time baby is awake by small increments, say 10/15 mins and then holding there for 2 or 3 days to see if that helps. So instead of the 2hours on your current schedule, try 2hr 15m and hold there - you can do that just for the first A time to start with if you are nervous about doing too much in one go & your baby gets overtired easily. You may feel things get worse before they get better, as he adjusts but often after few days the naps extend themselves & this in turn helps the nights. Might not be the answer, but it simple enough to try.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:12:13 am by BusterB »