Author Topic: Need help w/ 9 mo. old -- little sleep, frequent NWs, 45 minute naps, paci  (Read 1408 times)

Offline swandive14

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

Tired newbie, here, hoping for some help.

HISTORY:
I have a 9.5 month old, who was an epic, amazing sleeper (i.e., 8 hours at 6 weeks) until 2.5 months old, at which point she started doing exactly 45-minute naps and started waking sometimes at night. Things were still ok until 5 months, when she stopped STTN (frequent wakings, but no feedings needed). She hasn't really slept well since, and though we had about a month of 1.5 hour naps at 7.5-8.5 months, those are gone too and we are back to the 45 minute thing. Sometimes she shortens it to even 25 minutes. She has only SSTN a handful of times since xmas (it's now mid-May).

PROPS AND ISSUES:
1. Crazy arms. She just cannot control them. She flails, hits herself in the head, knocks her paci out, and so on.
2. Eye rubbing. Sort of related to ^. I am unsure whether this is really a problem, as maybe it is just a way for her to calm herself. But it sure looks painful. It does seem to wake her up a little.
3. Pacifier. On the plus side, she only takes a paci for sleep time, and sometimes she can sleep chunks of time after it has fallen out. On the down side, she is very upset if she wants it back. She has not figured out how to put it back in her own mouth yet because...
4. Zipadeezip. She sleeps in a Zipadeezip, which is a swaddle-transition product that is shaped like a starfish and allows baby more movement while still letting them feel edges and somewhat muffles crazy-arms and the startle reflex. She was a swaddle junkie as a little baby, and we've successfully gotten her out of the swaddle and she's now on the 3rd stage of the 3 Zipadeezips sizes that you progress through. The one she's in currently allows completely free movement. She does rub her eyes in it, and can knock her pacifier out while in it, but cannot replace the pacifier while wearing it (it covers her hands).
5. Rolling/sitting/crawling. All of these are new for her, and she is excited about them. It seems to calm down a little after each new skill is realized, but she does like to roll around, sit up, pull up, and so on when she should otherwise be sleeping. I think this may be normal.
6. Teething. She got a tooth on Easter, and a new one seems imminent (but has seemed imminent for weeks).

METHODS USED
1. Pu/Pd does not seem to work very well with this one. It seems to make her furious. I know it's heavily advocated here, but I don't know if it's for us. She seems confused by it, and it is exhausting!
2. Replacing the paci and stroking her head and shoulders does put her back to sleep fairly easily. It's just that she needs this repeatedly.
3. It is almost impossible to lengthen the a.m. nap, but the p.m. nap can SOMETIMES be lengthened by replacing the paci and stroking her head. Not always, though.
4. W2S does not work for her at all. She simply wakes up completely, or wakes when she otherwise would have (usually after 45 minutes or at 5/6am). She may be too old for this method.
5. We have not tried CIO, and don't want to.

SLEEP NOTES
1. She is breastfed but hasn't needed to eat at night since around 2 months old. The only exception is that she has a 5/6am feeding, which I have fostered since I am a working mom and need to empty the girls before work anyway. This feeding is reaaaaaaally hanging on. Trouble with this is, her morning wakeup has moved to around 7:30/8am, which leaves a very short window and sometimes she does not want to go back to sleep after the 5/6am feeding; sometimes it takes a very long time to get her to fall back asleep. I'd love to ditch this feeding altogether since I am still home at 7:30/8 when she wakes up.
2. Our bedtime routine is dinner, stories/wind-down/diaper/bf. I nurse her to sleep. I know this is controversial, but that is the current state of things.
3. She sleeps in a Zipadeezip with a paci. She doesn't have a lovey yet. No nightlight, yes whitenoise.
4. Naps were 45 minutes at 4 months old; 1.5 hours at 8.5 months old. Now at 9 months old, they are 40 minutes (morning nap) and 40 or 80 minutes (afternoon nap). Sometimes she wakes after 25 minutes for one or both of these.
5. She has a later bedtime than some babies (9pm) because my husband and I both work/commute and if she went to bed much earlier, we would never see her. I get home at 5:30, but my husband does not get home until 7. Moving her bedtime up by much is not really an option we are considering. I appreciate that some people think this is a good idea, but when we have tried this in the past, it has not made a difference.
6. She seems refreshed and happy most of the time after short naps, and in the morning, but she can be seen yawning pretty much throughout the day. If she is awake too long in the last stretch before bed, she can get cranky.
7. She's presently on 2 naps.

ROUGH SCHEDULE
E- 6:00 breastmilk (early a.m. feeding we're having a hard time shaking)
S- 6:30-7:30
A- 7:30 Wake for the day. (2.5 hour awake time)
E- 8:30/9:00 breastmilk
S- 10:00-10:40
A-10:40 (around 3.5-4 hour awake time)
E- 11:30 breastmilk
E- 12:30 solids
E- 2:30 breastmilk
S- 2:45-3:30 or maybe 4:15 if you're really lucky
A-3:30/4:15 (5 or 5.5 hour awake time)
E-5:30 breastmilk
E- 7:00 solids
E- 8:45 breastmilk
S- 9:00
(wakes up between 1 and 8 times at night, usually 3-4 times, needing not much but paci and some head stroking... wakes consistently at 5/6 for a.m. feed)

QUESTIONS:
1. I feel like she's not getting enough sleep. She gets about 10 hours of nighttime sleep, and between 1 and 2.25 hours daytime sleep. This seems woefully inadequate, but I am not sure?
2. Her naps are very short. It may be her thing, but it may also be that she needs longer naps. She does not seem like she is capable of the large amounts of A time that her short naps produce.
3. When I type her schedule out like this, it looks like an absolute mess. But I'm trying. I am hesitant to only do one E during her A times, because waiting until after her next nap seems like too long a time to go without eating again. Also, I am bf'ing and want to protect my supply by nursing as often as she wants to eat. Am I just making it worse by doing so?
4. Help. :(

I really appreciate your help, and thank you in advance!!!
-R

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Hi, and welcome. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It looks to me like that paci is giving you serious problems. At 9 months she should be able to replug herself. We've never used a paci but some things which might help are to put lots of pacis in the cot for her, or instead of putting the paci in her mouth for her, hand it to her and help her guide it to her mouth. I guess you'll have to get rid of the zipadeezip as well to let her replug herself.
You said you nurse her to sleep at bedtime, but how does she go down for her naps? 
As far as your routine goes, it's a bit unbalanced, her first nap should be later, maybe 3.5 hr after she gets up, and her last a is too long. So I know you're not keen but I think an earlier bedtime would help as well. What do you think?

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
When my DD was around that age, she would nap for 40 minutes, twice a day at daycare.  At home, she gave me longer naps because it's much quieter.  That being said, on daycare days, she would sometimes take a third nap when I picked her up from daycare around 5 PM.  Or I would put her to bed no later than 7 PM.  We sometimes rush through dinner and bath because I couldn't keep her up any longer.

As a working parent, I know it's very hard to put your baby to bed so early because you hardly get to see them.  But that's what I had to do because she didn't nap very well at daycare.  To make things worse, I start my day early because I work 9+ hour days and like to hit the gym in the morning, so I didn't even get to see my DD in the morning.  Now that she is older (25 months), she's taking better naps at daycare and able to stay up longer at night.  Her bedtime has moved to 7:45/8 PM.

Like pp said, I think her day is unbalanced.  Maybe push that first nap a touch later and try for an earlier bedtime?  Also, can you try to extend those short naps?  When my DD went to 1 nap at 13 months, at daycare, her naps were still 40 minutes unassisted.  The teachers had to pat her back down whenever she woke at the 40 minute mark to get a longer nap out of her.  Otherwise, there would be no chance DD would make it through the day with just 1 short nap.  Now at 2, most days she naps 2 hours at daycare, unassisted.  Hang in there, it will get better :-).

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
Just to second what Sarah said - my little horror has finally started re plugging and I think putting the dummy in her hand rather than straight back in her mouth has really helped her. She doesn't do it herself all the time, but can sometimes and it makes a massive difference!!!

You gave me the idea actually!

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14

My poor, sleep deprived brain!!!

Offline swandive14

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi all... Thank you so much for the advice. We've lengthened her morning awake time to 3 hours, and have gotten a couple of 1 hr 20 naps out of her as a result! But it's still not consistent. Should I not expect it to just improve suddenly? Or is 3 hours not enough?

As for night sleep, it is still off and on. She had a good night the night before last, and a terrible night last night. I am going to try to wean the Zipadeezip this weekend, I think. I don't want to wean the Paci because I am trying to avoid thumb-sucking (I sucked mine until I was 7, and it was very traumatic when my parents tried to get me to stop).

You could definitely push for more than 3 hours a time. 10/15 minutes at a time, try for the first a of the day, and give it 3 days. Good luck!