Author Topic: 9 Month Old - Early Wakings  (Read 1374 times)

Offline mamabusch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 13, 2014, 19:20:28 pm »
Hello,

New to this forum.  :)

I have a 9 month old, who recently has been sleep trained and was sleeping beautifully - 11-12 hours a night.

Shortly after we finished our sleep training, we visited family in Hawaii (a -3 hour time difference) and sleep was really impacted while we were there.  She began waking at 4:30 with a poopy diaper.
We were hoping that once we got home that 4:30 waking would translate to our normal time of 7:30.  It has not, she's still waking at 4:30.

Our normal routine:
Wake her up at 6, nurse
Drive to daycare (45 minute drive) - she normally does not sleep on this drive
At daycare for 8 hours, she gets 3 bottles of BM, 3-4 oz each and 3 servings of solids, 3-5 oz each, at daycare gets a morning nap around 9-9:30 for an hour and an afternoon nap at 12:30-1 for at least an hour
Pick up at 4:15, drive home (45 minute drive) - has cat nap
Nurse, play and begin bedtime routine at 5:30-6:00pm depending on how she slept that day
Sleeps from time we put her down to 6am the next morning

In the last two weeks (since we were in Hawaii), we have been unable to get her to go back to sleep using our normal soothing techniques.  She will just sit there and cry (we have never let her go more than 30 minutes of crying) until we pick her up.  This 4:30 wake up happens regardless of when we put her down - earlier or later.  The last few days she has not had a poopy diaper, but is still waking up at 4:30.

She's been teething pretty hard the last few weeks.  She got her first tooth, just before we left for Hawaii, one in Hawaii and we think she's working on some more.  We've been giving her motrin and teething tabs.

In the last few days, she's also been going through a growth spurt.  She's always been a big eater (she's very small, under 3rd percentile - but thriving - Ped isn't worried), but this week she's nursing a lot more.

What I need to know is how do we address this?  I'm not comfortable with leaving her to cry for 1.5 hours.  We're also struggling with determining if it's a wet or poopy diaper that's causing the wake up.  We moved her crib to the lowest setting, so it's extremely difficult to check her diaper without picking her up.  She also seems to get aggravated when we go in and don't pick her up.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.  I tend to over think things, so the more specifics you can provide, the better.  :P 
Thank you!

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 9 Month Old - Early Wakings
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 14:57:45 pm »
Hi there... Didn't want to read & run! As for the 4:30am wake ups - ouch!!

I'm sure someone with more insight will answer this soon - my only analysis, based on my own experience, is that the we had to lose the catnap quite a while ago,   as we got early wakings (my LO is 9 months tomorrow) and I think your baby might be getting too much day sleep and is therefore under tired & struggling to go back to sleep in the early hours.

I presume that you can't keep her awake on drive home as I know 100% the car sends my son off to sleep in 5 seconds  :) but if you agree that this could be under tiredness related, could you get daycare to adjust timings & durations of her naps slightly? No idea if I'm on right lines - but that's what jumped out at me! Hope you get it sorted soon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 15:04:58 pm by BusterB »

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Re: 9 Month Old - Early Wakings
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 17:45:21 pm »
I agree. That cat nap is probably the problem. Most 9 month olds will be on a two nap routine. Have you seen these?

chronological EASY samples, 7-9 months

chronological EASY samples, 10-12 months

All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months