Author Topic: 10 month old refusing bottles  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Deuce2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 18, 2014, 01:15:02 am »
I have almost 10 month old twin girls. I am still breastfeeding but have always supplemented a little with formula. They are in day care 3 days a week and also get bottles there. Our EASY routine works quite well.

One of my girls has always been difficult to nurse and liked a bottle. 2 weeks ago she decided out of nowhere not to take a bottle from me or my husband. One afternoon I have her a bottle and the next day she refused it. She continued to take a bottle at day care but in the last week has been very difficult to feed there as well. (Daycare provider has to sing her favorite song - the wheels on the bus- in order to get her to take bottle.).

She is eating solids 3 times a day and happily nursing.  I've tried to give her a sippy cup a couple times and she pushes it away.

I have to be away in the evening next week and am very nervous that she won't take a bottle before bed. Anyone have any ideas??

Thank you!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 10 month old refusing bottles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 18:35:49 pm »
Is it just the one evening you are away? Will you be there the following morning? If so I would think, if she totally refuses the bottle, to maybe offer her a yoghurt or cheese or other snack, pancakes or toast maybe, and a drink of water.  I would imagine it would be fine for one night and she'll make up for it the next morning when you bf. She isn't going to let herself starve, although I understand your concern.

Maybe it's time to switch one milk feed for a snack with a drink of water?

Offline Deuce2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 19:43:25 pm »
It's more of an in general question.... I sometimes give them bottles to supplement or have my husband give bottles of pumped milk in case I have to run errands away from them.  Plus she won't take a sippy either. She will eat puréed solids...she's managed some small banana pieces but so far nothing else. She still doesn't have any teeth.

I have been thinking that maybe part of her issue is that she's ready to drop one of her milk feeds....I have been worried about that I guess because she won't take a sippy or a straw and I want to make sure she gets enough fluids. She will eat puréed foods from a spoon and breastfeed and that's about it!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 20:17:16 pm »
I would also be reluctant to drop a milk feed if she isn't taking on any other fluids.
Have you read and followed Tracy's advice on teaching her how to use a sippy cup? A similar teaching period would be suitable for straw use too.
Transitioning to a Sippy Cup

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 19:14:23 pm »
What about an open cup? My DD3 will take a bottle but not a sippy cup at all, but she can drink from an open cup (sort figured out by accident in the tub when she used a toy cup to drink tub water  :-X). She is 9 months old and although she has two teeth we do blw so she will eat food cut in bigger chunk so she can grasp it in her hand. Do you think your DD might be interested in that? Oh - what flow of nipple is she on? We are on the fastest flow for our bottle type for a regular nipple but there is a Y cut one as well that allows the baby to set the flow, we will be using that one soon I think.
Heidi