Author Topic: not consistently STTN  (Read 1034 times)

Offline chirojaz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 19, 2014, 17:01:51 pm »
So my DS (7.5 months) has slept through the night a handful of times but recently he will STTN and wake up after only 10hours of night sleep, and last night was 9 hours.  Last night he woke at 5am (was in bed at 7:50pm) and did not cry, was just playing around and did not resettle until I went in at 5:30 to rock him to sleep.  Other days he will wake up at like 5:35, 5:50, or 6am depending on when he went to sleep that night, it seems like it's right around 10hours of night time sleep.  Is this because he is UT? OT?

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: not consistently STTN
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:12:08 am »
What is his daytime routine like...if he's taking the catnap, it may be time to drop it and add more A during the day...post back your EAS and it may be a matter of making some changes to his daytime routine :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline chirojaz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:47:53 am »
Oh no, he dropped the catnap at 6 months and currently has a really long A time for his age (in my opinion).  Morning A time is around 3hr15min, between his two naps is 3hr50min A time, and before bed 3hr30min.  His schedule looks basically like this….

A 6:45 (if I have rocked him to sleep after the 5ish wake-up, I am waking him in the morning by this time otherwise our day is too long)
S 10:00
A 11:15 (I will wake him so that I can get out of the house with DS and DD for the day, also our day will be too long if I let him sleep longer)
S 3:05
A 4:20 (woke on his own)
Bed 7:50
DF 10:30
Slept until 5am when he woke and would not settle, so I ended up rocking him to sleep.  Last night he woke up at 5:30, was back to sleep at 5:45 then up again until 6:30 when he got himself back to sleep, I then woke him at 7:00am.
Any ideas? Is he OT at bedtime? UT at bedtime? Any help is much appreciated. 
I should add that he does not have any teeth yet so not sure if that is adding to the problem?

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: not consistently STTN
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:53:30 am »
He may just be teething hun...my lo is teething her molars at the moment and she's started waking at 5am too. You could try and give him some meds for teething to see if that helps. Rather than rocking him back to bed... are you able to leave him and see if he'll go back to sleep (if he's not crying) or resettle him other ways (pu/pd) or with your words. The rocking may become a prop, if not already.

At 7.5 months, our A was between 3-3.15hrs.. i don't think it got longer until a little later but all babies are different. You could try pulling back on his A as he may be getting overtired :-\. Maybe you could try morning nap from 9.30-10.30; afternoon nap from 1.30-3/3.30 and bedtime between 6.30-7pm and he may sleep longer at night. Some babies are stuck on a short night and he may be waking at 5am out of habit, in which case you could try w2s at around 4am? I remember waking my LO from her morning nap too... I wouldn't let her sleep more than 1hr (with the exception of some days where I needed time to get things done and would let her sleep longer but she'd have a shorter night then) and then the afternoon nap was around 3-3.15hrs later and I would let her sleep up to 2hrs and her A before bedtime was also around 3-3.15hrs. I do remember though that my LO was teething lots at that age too and we had some crazy things going on at night and early wake ups. I never rocked to sleep but I would feed if she was awake before 6am and she would sometimes go back to sleep.... having said that, we never did a DF as I didn't find it very helpful.

20/06/2012 - my angel baby