Author Topic: 7 month old awake times after iron defiency  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 7 month old awake times after iron defiency
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 18:41:54 pm »
I agree with this ^^^

Keep going honey, you're doing well! Xxx
~ Naomi ~

Offline Emily13th

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 05:18:43 am »
So today has been a bit of a disaster!  First A time was 2.5 hours on the dot and he did a 35 min nap, woke up happy.  Then the next A time was 3 hours as we were out and I got a 30 min nap, woke up unhappy!  If he has a first short nap I should be reducing the second A time right?  I'm going to push for 3 hours first A time tomorrow morning, fingers crossed!  And should I be going for A times according to his corrected age, 6.5 months?

Also, if his A time is 3 hours, should I do a top up BF before the nap?

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 06:02:31 am »
I agree with you that that first A of 2.5 hours with a happy WU from a shorter nap does sound like UT so the right thing to do is push out the A time again. A cautious approach would be to go for 2.45 for a few days and let LO adjust before trying 3 hours if you need longer again.

You might not need to do a too up milk feed, are you giving a breakfast of solids at some point in the A time too?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Emily13th

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 01:24:15 am »
Yup we do brekkie in the first A time, usually an hour after BF.  Kept him up for 2.45 as you recommended and he called out at about 35mins, but went back off to sleep.  Really can't believe how quickly he has got used to these A times!  Is the second A time usually a bit longer, or should I keep to 2.45?

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 07:36:30 am »
Yay! Great news.

Some children have different A times over the day. My DD always did better with similar length A apart from a long one to BT. I would try the same and if after a few days it does nothing tweak a little.

:D
~ Naomi ~

Offline Emily13th

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 01:04:43 am »
Hiya!  Hope you guys are well, thought I'd just post a little update on how we are going. 

We are almost at 3 hours awake time in the morning, and then the 2nd A time is still a bit wonky but some days we do get it right, and the day is so much easier when we do!  I've found he will let me know if I put him down too early as he won't settle, so I just get him back up for a cuddle and low key walk around the house for 10 mins and then he usually ready for bed.  We've got top teeth just about to pop through and bit of constipation so I'm not expecting every day to be perfect!!  Still waking to feed twice at night but we do get some nice 6-7 hour stretches occasionally!

I'm sure I'll be posting more questions soon  ;)

Thanks so much for all the advice and words of encouragement, we have no family here and only one or two other friends with kids that live close so this forum has been great for me!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 09:47:59 am »
Well done, sounds like you and him 'get' each other too. I loved it when I got to that point with my boys where I knew - opps I'm a little early, or - he's ready for bed now!

For the constipation of you don't already you can start giving probiotics :D
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 10:33:11 am »
Well done, sounds like you and him 'get' each other too.

This ^^^

What a lovely update, thank you for sharing :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Emily13th

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 09:27:53 am »
Haha it seems like whenever I post about his constipation he has a good old clear out day!!  I've been giving him prunes and pears and plenty of water and it seems to have got things moving.  I'll go and have a look at the probiotics though, sounds like a good idea!  Thanks!

Offline Emily13th

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 05:04:34 am »
And I'm back again!

Over the last 4 nights we have had terrible tantrums at bedtime, starting off mild and gradually building up to an hour and a half of screaming last night!  Been doing pu/pd, but when I pick him up he arches his back and pushes away from me.  I remember reading in the book that Tracey says to put the baby down if they fight you and when I do he screams even more!!  I've been making sure there is the appropriate A time before bed, and there has been no change in routine.  Last night he was awake for 4.5 hours after his last nap (that includes the tantrum).  If I take him out of his room he stops screaming and is all smiles.  I've been giving him panadol if it's his teeth, but I would have thought if it was pain he'd still be grizzly outside his room.

Could he not be tired enough?  And got overtired in the process last night?  Hoping for a good bedtime tonight!!

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 12:13:11 pm »
Could he not be tired enough?  And got overtired in the process last night?

Possibly, what's your EAS been like the last few days?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Emily13th

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 00:21:18 am »
It's been really good, about 3 hours and 10 mins for each awake time, except the one before bed was still only 2.5 hours.  I stretched it out to 3 hours last night and he went straight off to sleep!  But I think I'm going to have to start capping the 2nd nap or his bedtime is going to get way too late at this rate.  Is it normal to have to extend awake times every week or so?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 08:15:28 am »
A times are quote low for his age, AND I think your about to hit a big sleep regression/developmental leap (8-10 mths) So I'd say you probably do need to look at trying to cap a nap or push an A time.

Certainly between 6-12 mths I felt with both boys I tweaked A times a lot, once on one nap and in the second year things settle a lot ;)

As Naomi says, post your EAS and we can take a look if you like
***Sara***

Offline Emily13th

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 10:20:16 am »
I'm thinking you're right and his a times need to be bumped up as we've had a few short naps recently.  NLT including solids on the EAS just to make it easier to read!
Yesterday
WU/E- 7.10am
S- 10.20
A/E- 11.25
S- 2.30pm (I made this a time shorter because of the shorter first nap)
A/E - 4pm
S- 7pm

Settled beautifully for all naps and sleep, I can't remember what happened on the days he had horrible bedtimes, but the A times were definitely shorter before bed.

Today
WU/E- 7.10am
S- 10.20
A/E - 11.20
S- 2.20pm
A/E- 3.00pm
S- 6pm (figured earlier bedtime because of short second nap, but didn't settle till 6.30)

Am I right to bring bedtime forward if he has a short second nap?  Or should I be keeping a set time, say 7pm?

And is 2 BF over night still normal?  Sometimes he will only wake up once, other times I hear him wake but he goes back to sleep.  I figure that because he can self settle then he must be hungry/cold/hot etc.  usually though he is hungry!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 08:25:09 am »
Am I right to bring bedtime forward if he has a short second nap?  Or should I be keeping a set time, say 7pm?
All Los are different. You may find it also depends on the nap ie some Los can cope on a bit more A or same As on a 1hr nap, but not on a 40 min one yk? I tended to work on A times not set bt (but in a range ie 6.45-7.15ish) at this age. Bt became more set after 1 yr.

Not sure about bf overnight. My first was bf but didn't really have a nf from relatively early on (unless sick or teething etc to settle) but some do need bf for a while. Maybe post on the bf board?
***Sara***