Author Topic: breastfeeding twins  (Read 10066 times)

Offline kayra

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
Re: breastfeeding twins
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2014, 08:24:04 am »
hugs Marti, I remember crying in frustration many times b/c DS1 wouldn't sleep as much as he 'should' have and my EASY was messed up! Easier said than done I know but try to relax your expectations and hopefully slowly survival will turn into enjoyment.
We're doing ok, I had my break last night, though I think it was tiring for my parents as little lady was hard to settle :( It was great to sleep a bit more, I pumped after the morning feed and got a good amount so I'm pleased about that. I always get more from the side DD nurses on, although she's gotten better she still has a much weaker suck than DS2 so I'm glad I'm pumping and she's getting top ups that way.
Lily how old are your girls?

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2014, 13:52:18 pm »
They are 10 months old now  :o

Z had a rotten latch for ages and really struggled to get the milk. That's when I found tandem nursing really good as C (a boob demon from birth!!) would start feeding and get a let down then I'd plug Z on as well and she would take a good feed. Otherwise she would just give up. It's a bit fiddly as someone has to be on hand to hand you the bad sucker but it worked brilliantly for us. But if you are able to get milk from the pump that's amazing - one time I got 50 ml, was so proud, then spilt half on the couch, gave the rest to Z and she promptly vomited it back up.....I think I gave up after that!!  ;D

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2014, 14:08:39 pm »
one time I got 50 ml, was so proud, then spilt half on the couch, gave the rest to Z and she promptly vomited it back up.....I think I gave up after that!! 
AAAH! I think I'd cry if that happened to me! I don't blame you for giving up.

DD latches ok-I think- and actually when she sucks she's pretty good, but poor thing my nipple is almost bigger than her mouth (sorry TMI) so I think it's just hard for her to suck well and she gets tired.

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2014, 18:10:02 pm »
She'll get better and better... can't believe they're almost 3 weeks already! Glad you got a little rest, Kayra, you're doing so well! :-*

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2014, 18:49:33 pm »
I have a question, it's actually about my pumped milk. I think b/c it's consistency is so much runnier than the formula, when they take it from the bottle they end up spilling/dribbling loads of it :(
The same idea just occurred to both my mother and I, what if we were to add it to a bottle of formula? So NOT making up the formula with the milk instead of water, just adding it to the made up formula? Would that take away from the good stuff of the breastmilk? I can't think why it would....? any thoughts?

Angel, April 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2014, 18:57:50 pm »
Well lots of people mix them when they are weaning onto formula, but that is more short term though. Really if they bf and then have a formula top u it is mixed in their tum anyways!
Heidi

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2014, 19:10:01 pm »
I didn't know that about weaning...
you're right it mixes in their tum, I just wasn't sure if mixing it in the bottle would somehow alter it's properties...

Angel, April 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2014, 20:06:36 pm »
Hmm I suppose it could but if you are mixing them right before feeding I cannot imagine it is by much.
Heidi

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2014, 20:12:58 pm »
I remembered reading about mixing EBF and Formula long time ago.  Maybe this helps: http://www.babycenter.com/404_can-i-mix-breast-milk-and-formula_8883.bc

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2014, 20:15:37 pm »
I would say the only problem is when they do not take the whole bottle. You know, for me pumping is hard work and every drop of breast milk is valueable, and... When DS is not taking te whole prepared portion and it was already warmed/mixed with formula, I would have to throw it away. So... If your LO are draining the bottles, why not. However in my case I never know exactly how much will DS feed so I would firstly give him BM and than topup with formula. If formula is not drunk, I wouldn't mind throwing the rest of it, ykwim?
~Marta

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2014, 20:26:48 pm »
Thanks koe thats helpful, they'll be having it immediately so it seems ok. Marti they drain the bottle so yhat wont be a problem ;)

Angel, April 2011

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2014, 20:35:42 pm »
:) little milk-addicts:P
~Marta

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2014, 19:15:54 pm »
You can't just add the formula powder to the breast milk if that is what you mean no.  You have to make the formula up to the correct amount of water first and then mix it. It can be dangerous to their organs to not add the right amount of water especially at this age.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2014, 19:19:03 pm »
I have a question, it's actually about my pumped milk. I think b/c it's consistency is so much runnier than the formula, when they take it from the bottle they end up spilling/dribbling loads of it :(
The same idea just occurred to both my mother and I, what if we were to add it to a bottle of formula? So NOT making up the formula with the milk instead of water, just adding it to the made up formula? Would that take away from the good stuff of the breastmilk? I can't think why it would....? any thoughts?
I dont think that is what she meant Ali

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2014, 19:20:17 pm »
Oh yes sorry I misread that ::)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011