Author Topic: i think its time for 3 to 3.5 hr transition- how should I go about it?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline mariawargo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 3 month old used to be on 3 hr easy and take 1.5 to 2 hr naps and give me 5 to 7 hr stretches at night. Ever since a growth spurt at 2 mo naps have been shorter and he's sometimes eating every 2.5 hours and going shorter stretches at night plus earlier waking at like 5 am. As I'm writing this out, it seems clear that he should be on a 3.5 hour EASY, but how do I start? My husband will be around for the next three days to help with our almost 2 year old, so I want to take advantage of these days to fix this! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Jbla17

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi  :)

So you are probably doing 4 naps I'm guessing, so basically when you move to a 3.5 hour EASY you cut out a nap, but you also bring bedtime forwards.

When I felt it was time to move to 3.5 EASY I just did it straight away starting at morning wake up. What I did was just worked out what my approx times I was going for with the new routine and just tried to stick to it as close as possible til my DD got used to it. This is actually an easier transition going from 4-3 rather than 3-2...... somewhat trickier.

This is what our EASY looked like on 3.5:

E 7
A 7-8:30
S 8:30-10:30

E 10:30
A 10:30-12:30
S 12:30-2

E 2
A 2-4
S 4-5ish

E 5ish
A 5-7
E top up bottle/breast before bed @ 7
S 7

So you have two feeds close together for a while but I found my DD still had a full feed as she was not on solids at this stage.
It might take a few days to get it but just hang in there as your LO will get the new flow of the day very quickly. I found as long as you have strong sleep cues/bedtime cues they understand immediately.

As your LO wake time increases that last nap will become a catnap and then you will be looking as phasing that one out too!! We did it cold turkey and my DD took it in her stride but every baby is different and you will know when you get to this stage how to go about it for your LO.

Hope that helps  :)

Offline mariawargo

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you for your quick reply!!! Its very nice to have a plan.

Im doing what you said this morning but i couldnt get his first nap to be longer than 45 min... So, I'm wondering- do I still stick to the times or do I move everything up?

If he had taken a full morning nap, his second nap would be at 1210... But I don't know if I should keep him up from 850 to 1210, which is a really long time, or adjust the routine to about 1050, which would give him the 2 hours of a time that Im going for?

Let me know if you have any advice on this.. The short naps are driving me crazy!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
We also did 3,5h cold turkey 2 weeks ago. With 2h awake time you should have 1,5h naps on 3,5 EASY. we started from 1:45A and 1:45S, but quickly went to ratio 2:00-1:30. Right now we are on 3:45 space between morning feeds and I am waiting patiently when DS will be ready for 4h. Right now he is waking from his naps after 1:30-1:45 because of hunger.

If first/second nap is shorter, I let/help DS lengthen next nap/naps to 2h max. Generally after one short nap, he almost always take 2h on second nap. I kept normal A or even +15min between S because for DS E in the middle of activity lengthens awake time and also activity before E is always low key/resettling so he is not so tired as after normal A.

If you still have last nap ended before 5pm I would go for earlier bedtime, so ie 7:00 instead of 7:30. If your last nap will end even earlier, you may go for short 15min catnap around 5/6pm (so 4th nap) and adapt BT according to your kid.

What I stick to is E time, so not to feed him earlier so even if naps are mess try to keep 3,5 eating patern and so he learns the rule.

HTH
~Marta

Offline Jbla17

• Showing Appreciation 3
Hi I was just looking at the easy I posted and the A times are probably a bit long for you LO unless he can already handle this. What is his usual wake time? The easy I posted was probably closer to 4-4.5 months when this was a really steady routine. If two hours is too long just make that part of nap time.

I know you said you are getting 45 minute naps which does suggest an A increase but it can be a big developmental thing around this age in particular. Are you familiar with wonder weeks?

Depending on your LO personality you could try keeping him up longer to get to the next nap but if he is sensitive and prone to OT I would only push a little. I agree with PP that sticking to E times will help set the new routine. Also you might find he prefers a shorter sleep in the morning followed by a longer lunchtime sleep  :)

Offline mariawargo

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks for the replies! Yesterday was such a crazy day I didnt have time to post! So his short naps are really a problem. Ive been trying to get him back to sleep when he wakes and when I do its only been for 10 minutes, except for once yesterday I gave in and let him sleep on me because I knew he was so exhausted and needed a long nap. Anyway, the naps  are so short that sometimes the E comes right before the next S if Im sticking to the 3.5 hr between feeds.... BUT I do think 3.5 EASY is right for him because he's not asking to to eat before then and his feedings are longer now- no more snacking.

So do you think its better to stick to 3.5 between feedings even if the routine becomes ESA?

Im trying to pay close attention to when he gets tired and figure out his correct A time. Im pretty sure 1.45 is right for him.

Offline mariawargo

• Showing Appreciation 0
rI looked up wonder weeks- looks interesting- i think we had one almost 2 weeks ago because he was acting crazy... i dont think thats going on now..

Im all over the place but the pacifier is a big problem. I just got him to start falling asleep in the bassinet last week but only with the pacifier. He had previously been taking all his naps on me in the carrier because I have a toddler and didnt have time to sleep train until last week. So Im going to try weaning from the pacifier some other time... One thing at a time. Im jsut glad he is not napping in the carrier anymore. 

So theres an update and please just let me know if you think a backwards EASY will mess anything up, like nightime sleep? for now at least, until I can (hopefully) get his naps longer

Offline Jbla17

• Showing Appreciation 3
Hi  :)

I don't think it's a huge problem to have your routine that way. If the naps aren't lengthening for you at the moment then that is how your routine would look. I wouldn't worry too much just try to break up the E from the S a bit so your LO is not associating his feed with going to sleep. As long as there is a predictable flow to the day and LO is happy. As you said you have a toddler so routine with number two is going to be difficult! It shouldn't interfere with night sleep as long as he is not having too much sleep which I don't think he is.

Those naps will get longer again. To save yourself going crazy maybe just try to extend one nap per day that will be at home in bassinet/cot/on you. Otherwise you will be spending your whole day thinking about DS sleep and not enjoying him and your other LO.

With the pacifier I definitely wouldn't worry about weaning at the moment. If it doesn't bother you and it helps DS sleep then go for it!! I know some say to wean the pacifier before six months but I know soooooo many kids that still have a paci at about 2. I think if its just used for sleep time only and nowhere else it's not a problem.

The Wonder Weeks really helped me to understand my DDs development and how it can affect their behaviour. It has always been pretty spot on for her. Now I just think oh she's just learning new things if she's a bit difficult and at least it just helps me not to stress over it  :)

I think you are doing a great job x  ;)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
In sample EASy routines for 4month there is a case of having 4 naps on 3,5h eating schedule. Every next nap of the day is closer to E before. The most important part is that you do not feed to sleep as pp say:).
~Marta

Offline mariawargo

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you both! Ill keep going on as is-  he slept through the last two nights and is even doing better with naps today. I really needed the advice and the encouragement. I dont know what i would do without this forum!!!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator

Re paci weaning... I am in the middle of the process. Decided as DS was napping quite long but needed so much of resettling that I said that I will eliminate all probable reasons. We will see soon if it works:).
~Marta

Offline Jbla17

• Showing Appreciation 3
That's great!! You are welcome  :)

It helps to just bounce ideas and feelings off each other and just knowing everyone here has pretty much been through the exact same thing.

Have a great day  ;)