Author Topic: Starting solids and am a bit confused  (Read 1695 times)

Offline KCP

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 25, 2014, 06:39:17 am »
Hi there. My son is 5 months and 3 weeks old and his ped has advised to start solids ASAP as his weight was stagnant for a few weeks. Was reading up on what best solids to start with but, most sites are either giving varied options (some say puréed green beans whilst other sites mentions you should give only when baby is >7mo) or only stating the veges/fruits best suited for babies who are 6 months old. I would appreciate if ya'll can advise me what veges, fruits & grains I can start with him.  TIA

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Starting solids and am a bit confused
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 07:34:58 am »
Do you want to offer purees or do baby led weaning?
Baby-Led Weaning

The move in most countries now is to recommend foods high in iron like meat from the outset and that pretty much any food goes.
Foods To Avoid
There is a list of good soft fruits and veg in this link as well as other useful info.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx#close
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:45:22 am »
Yes, here the recs changed drastically since DD2 was a baby...now it is meat and iron rich foods first and from 6 months to feed all of the allergenic foods regardless of family history of allergies. They only recommended cereals as a way to mix other foods in as the iron from the baby cereals is not well absorbed by the body.
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 10:26:41 am »
Along with what pps have already said my suggestion would be to look at your own family meals and see what can easily be offered, whether as a finger food or as a puree.  Offering baby the same flavours as are regularly eaten in your family will help to make these familiar so that the move towards joining in regular family meals is a natural one - rather than always cooking different meals for baby.