Author Topic: DreamFeed with formula - pls advice  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« on: May 23, 2014, 07:26:47 am »
Hello Ladies, looking for your wise advice.

My son is dream fed at 11pm (bottle with EBM, nipple 0-1month, 5-7oz). He is until now EBF (14wo). As my milk storage is less & less and I am not able to pump enough milk for a DF during day/evening, I would like to introduce formula feeding for dream feed only. Could you please advise me how to introduce it?

1. Should I try first FF during day or it may also be a DF?
2. Should I stick to nipple 0-1m+ if DS still accept it?
3. How should I choose which F is the best for my son?
~Marta

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: DreamFeed with formula - pls advice
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 18:29:28 pm »
If you can try a FF feed during the day it may be a good idea just to check he has no reaction to it, he may reject it when awake though but accept it in his sleep.

I would stick with the same nipple size for now, especially if you are continuing to breastfeed during the day. As for which formula is best, again that's hard to know. In the UK/US formula is made to specific guidelines so really it's all basically much of a much-ness as far as calories/ nutrients are concerned. Some brands have added extras, some are organic it all depends on what is important to you. I would get a stage 1 (suitable from birth) formula though as they are good for the whole first year. If you are only doing 1 formula feed a day it may be better to use ready made cartons as boxes of formula have to be used within a few weeks once opened unless you can get small boxes.

Laura

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 21:05:59 pm »
Thanks Lolly! I have Bebilon Comfort box so will start from this one. Our storage is on the edge so in 1-2 days we start.

One small question about the nipple. It takes about 15-20min for DS to drain 6-7oz bottle. DH is tired (LOL) of such a long feed time (I am still laughing at him:D - I feed DS 5 times a day and every feed is this time or longer!), and asks if he may change a nipple to a bigger size to make this feed quicker. Do you think it is worth doing? I thought that you only change nipple size when LO refuses one.
~Marta

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: DreamFeed with formula - pls advice
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 17:55:48 pm »
Sorry - I forgot to reply to this!

A faster flow teat could get him to feed faster, but 15-20 mins is fine for a bottle feed. The only danger with a faster teat is that if he is awake for the DF he may start to prefer the bottle feed as it will be so much easier for him than breastfeeding.

Signs of needing a faster teat are things like taking longer to feed, not finishing a feed, making the teat collapse from sucking too hard and loosing interest in a feed.

Laura

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 18:07:41 pm »
Fine for me, will stay with size 1.
He takes 200ml in 15-20min do I guess breast feeding has similar flow for him and I wouldn't like to change it. Will see what to do if DS start to refuse DF bottle.

Thanks!!!
~Marta