Author Topic: Help with evening routine (mixed feeding) and morning waking!  (Read 877 times)

Offline SorchaM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

Sorry if this is a bit long...really hoping people have some ideas that will work for our lo!

We've been cluster feeding (BF) our 7 week old and its been working great so far.  He won't take a dream feed, which is fine, I'm happy to do cluster and then motn feed instead of a dream feed, it suits me. He will feed at 5-7-9 or 4-6-8 or somewhere in between and after the last BF he goes down really easily and does his long sleep.

We just started to give him a FF in the early evening (numerous reasons) and he's taken it fine so far but I'd like it to be the last feed of the evening.  His dad doesn't get home until 7.30 ish and we want dad to do bath and bottle feed at some point after this.  The problem is that he's not half as sleepy after formula so we have to spend quite a while putting him down.  We're also having trouble fitting in a bath (without him being hungry and screaming or tired and screaming) and bedtime routine.

For example, on the BF routine:

E 5pm
A 5.45
S catnap 6.15
E 7pm/7.30,
A 7.45
S catnap 8.15
A bath/pjs 9pm ish
E 9.30pm
Sleep straight after 9.30pm feed
(this is changeable depending on how well he goes down for naps)

On the BF/FF routine:

E 5pm
A 5.45
S catnap 6.15
E 7pm/7.30,
A 7.45
S catnap 8.15
A bath/pjs 9pm ish
E 9.30pm
A wide awake for another half hour ish
S 10.30 (also fussed for 20 minutes after falling asleep)

On both routines he slept for at least 4 hours then.

Does anyone have ideas for routines that include the late formula feed as well as a bath/bedtime routine at some point after 7.30?  It has to be a bit flexible because his daytime feeds change each day still.

Should we try to keep him awake between feeds?  Move the cluster feeds further apart or closer together?  Give him a bath directly after a feed instead of waking him before the next feed?  We're happy to put him to bed a bit earlier but not before dad gets home.  Also he's always wide awake in the early evening so seems to need his A time.  He also needs to be woken fully to take a feed, so for example if we wanted him to feed at 7 and 9, if we put him to bed at 7, we'd then have to wake him fully for the 9pm feed.  He just doesn't feed at all when half asleep unless he's woken himself (eg for the 2am feed he's not wide awake but has half-woken himself in hunger so will feed).

Then there's the morning waking...he'll have his long sleep, and then a normal sleep (ie 3 hours between feeds, so around 2.25 hrs sleep) and then wake up sometime around 4-5am for his next feed.  I try to settle him for a while but eventually after up to 30 mins of slight fussing he'll start crying for his feed.  No matter what I do he'll only feed around 10/15 mins, even with a nappy change and re-swaddle in the middle, he'll just keep falling back asleep (though not asleep enough to settle back in the crib of course!). 
Then if it's ~5.30 or later he'll be WIDE awake and will need to get up and have A time before napping.  If he finished his feed any earlier (eg feeds from 4 - 4.45) then he might go back down for another hour or so but will generally fuss every 20 minutes meaning I don't get to sleep.  I've been trying to get him out of the habit by settling him each time he fusses both before and after feeding but no matter what he's usually up by around 6am.  I don't mind him WAKING at 6, but this is usually after a feed so I've already been up for an hour feeding him before we get out of bed.  Should I change the bedtime/night feeds?  Should I be doing something different in the morning?  Or at this age do I just need to grin and bear it until he's a bit older?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Help with evening routine (mixed feeding) and morning waking!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 19:31:03 pm »
Hi, sorry you've not had any replies as yet.

There's not really a reason a routine with a formula feed has to be any different from a routine with a breastfeed.  The only thing I might suggest is starting the formula feed maybe 15 mins or so earlier if you know he takes longer to settle afterwards?

In terms of whether you do the bath before or after a feed, I always did bath then feed then bed, but others do feed before bath with a top-up afterwards.  You could try it both ways and see if one way seems to suit LO better?

In the evening particularly I wouldn't try to keep him awake between feeds - if he's tired, he needs sleep.  Given from what you've said he's starting his day around 6 am I'd think he'd be probably really quite exhausted by 7pm so if you can get him to bed for the night at about that time it may help with the unsettledness in the early mornings.  Have you tried just getting him down at that time and seeing how long he sleeps?  Rather than waking him for a 9pm cluster feed?

I know that evenings can be hard on Dads especially as it can feel like they never get to see LO.  But sometimes the lesser of two evils is to have LO in bed early when they are tired, so you can all get a better nights rest and enjoy the time you do have as a family better as a result.  Not saying your day *has* to be 7-7 like a standard EASY - some parents do manage to make 8-8 or 9-9 work well for them - but it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of LOs natural biorhythms seem to work best on a 7-7ish kind of day.  If you decide to aim for say 8 or 8.30pm as bedtime then I would treat any waking in the morning before 8am as a night waking - so lights off, minimal interaction, if LO is awake but happy leave him in the with lights off, otherwise try to resettle. 

Overall he is still really young at just 7 weeks and is probably still sorting out his natural sleeping patterns.  You may find things settle down a lot naturally over the next few weeks - I certainly found 12 weeks to be one turning point and then six months on to be another :)

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 23:24:06 pm »
I'm going to agree with jessmum.  It's really hard on the Dad's when they can't see their LO's, my husband works nights and sleeps days from June-October, but it's harder on the LO's because they're pooped.  A well rested baby makes for a well rested Mommy and as DH says 'Happy wife, happy life' (bless the man, he's so smart!). 
There are so many days, weeks, months, years to come.  Your LO will cherish every second he gets with Daddy but for the time being, it might be easiest to save the major quality time for the weekends when your hubby is home. 
On a side note: I take one or two pictures throughout the day and send them to DH so that when he wakes, he can see what we've been up to.  It lets him feel connected no matter how busy/exhausted/stressed he is.

Offline SorchaM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 12:44:24 pm »
Hi, thanks for the replies!
In terms of getting him to sleep at 7, the problem is that daddy literally wouldn't see him at all the entire week :-( We're trying to come up with a plan though, tonight it looks like he'll be on track for feeds at 3.30, 5.30 and 7.30 so we'll see how that goes and see how long he sleeps.

So last night (OH was away) I didn't do bath as I had topped and tailed in the morning, and did cluster feeds at 4, 6 and 8, and he only had a half hour nap between 6 and 8, and he went down much faster after the formula at 8. I think if he has a long nap between the last 2 feeds or if they're further apart he just gets too awake after the formula feed and wants his active time (I think the routine is different with a BF because the breastmilk makes him so much sleepier).

Regarding morning waking you say to settle him if he's fussy or leave him if he's awake but happy, the problem is that he's fussy and we so resettle and if I persevere he will sleep til 7 or even 7.30 but generally that's with waking and fussing every 10 to 20 minutes, he won't resettle properly.

We'll definitely try the earlier bedtime anyway and see what happens but you're right he is still very little and we might just have to go with the flow for a few weeks!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 12:51:10 pm »
If an 8-8 day suits you better for Daddy's schedule then I'd try to work towards that :)