Author Topic: Night feed hurting first morning feed  (Read 1077 times)

Offline danaadell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM Rx
Night feed hurting first morning feed
« on: May 28, 2014, 01:31:43 am »
So my little one is still taking a 3 AM feed and he is 15 weeks old. The problem is he's not very interested in food at 7:30 when he wakes up. I'm guessing he's not very hungry because he takes quite a bit overnight. So it looks like we will never be able to drop the overnight feed and tell he's are taking a better feed first thing in the morning.

So my question is how do I get him to take less overnight and more in the morning?
Warren Henry -- 2/7/14

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Night feed hurting first morning feed
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:18:58 am »
Is he breast or bottle fed? If he's breastfed, you could try offering just one side at the 3am feed and then the other side when he wakes for the day. Dd3 used to wake between 3-5am and I did that with her and she was still ready for a top up in the morning and then I would count my E's from there.

If he's bottle fed, I would probably reduce the size of the amount, again, so that he's ready for more when he wakes for the day

Hth :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline danaadell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM Rx
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:47:02 am »
He is breast fed. I've already only been offering 1 side (though I am usually pretty engorged by then anyways). I don't know if I should try to cut him off earlier or what...
Warren Henry -- 2/7/14

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 02:31:41 am »
You can try cutting down how much he is on the breast for or if he's not interested at 7.30am, you could wait till a little bit later (8 or 8.30am) and offer it then... as long as he's not having the feed right before nap time. You obviously won't have the EAS pattern but that's ok too.

If this is his only night feed, sounds like he's doing really well ;D

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline linghu84

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:10:12 am »
Hi I'm experiencing the same problem. And my DS is about the same age with yours. I have tried two nights ago to not feed him and just give him the pacifier. And he went back to sleep until the next morning and very hungry around 6:45. Same thing happened last night and I gave him the pacifier but it took 40min and I had to give up and feed him (one side of the breast) and this morning, he's not hungry again. I'll try the wAke and sleep method tonight and see if that helps.

You can try that too. Offer your LO the pacifier one hr before his usual wake up time. And do this for at least 3 days. May help.