Author Topic: EASY for 9 week old needs changing?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Nickie18

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
EASY for 9 week old needs changing?
« on: May 28, 2014, 19:08:52 pm »
I have posed on nap board but seems I may need more of an overall change to our EASY. She is now mostly doing 45 minute cat naps, but not sure if it is an A issue or if it is just her...

We have been on an easy type schedule since day one (I had nurse every 3 hours around the clock for 3 weeks!). now on bottle and 3 hour EASY. She used to be on a 1h-1.15h A time forever and then we had a wonder week, shots and then a GS. For the last 2 days we have settled out finally but I have no idea what her A time should be. We were doing 1h30m after the wonder week last week, but she continues to give us 45 minute naps. AT the end of the day, she may do a 90 minute nap, but sometimes that does not happen. Crappy naps though seem to make her sleep well through the night- from 8p-7:30a with one wake up at 4am. I prefer sleeping through the night, but the daytime is so stressful not knowing if she is going ot nap or not. She does seem happy after waking after the 45 minute nap.

Our EASY now:
7:30am- we wake her,
7:30- E
9am- S
9:45a- she wakes crying, cannot shush back
10:30- E
11:20- S
12:10- she wakes again, cannot shush
1:30- E
2pm- nap- sometimes 45 minutes, sometimes 90
4:30- E
5:30- S
6:15p- she wakes
7- E
8- bed

Does she need to increase her A time still? Or is the 45 minutes just her? Feel stuck... If she takes 45 minute naps al lday, then the day is so messed up...

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: EASY for 9 week old needs changing?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:56:29 pm »
Have you seen this: Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

If she wakes upset from her first 45 min nap I'd actually try shortening A time by 10-15 mins and see if that helps as 1h30 is a bit on the long side for her age.  Also worth bearing in mind that after a short nap you often need to shorten A time to prevent OT rather than doing another full A time.

Otherwise when she wakes does she cry an 'I need you' cry or does she coo or fuss?  Unless she cries properly for you I would leave her to it when she wakes - she may well settle back to sleep given the chance.

I'm sure you know already but the short nap phase is something almost all LOs go through, and to some extent you just need to ride it out.  If all naps are short, then just offer more of them in the day :). Frustrating I know, but honestly the LOs that have a predictable routine every day at such a young age are the exception, not the rule x

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 14:23:10 pm »
Thank you! Yes I have seen the link and am worried about her A time as well. We were at 1h15m 2 weeks ago with good naps when the short naps started and we increased slowly to 1h30m. Still short napping. Seems she gets the longer nap after a short nap and same A time. Don't know if she needs longer A time and am scared cause she is so little.

When she wakes at 45 minutes she usually fusses for a few minutes and them the crying begins and there is no settling her. As soon as lights on she stops and is awake and usually happy. She has almost no sleep cues and it's driving me crazy. Usually when she takes her longer naps she does fuss and coo in between and we do leave her...

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 14:37:38 pm »
You can always try an extra 10 mins if you think that's what she needs :)

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 03:52:42 am »
I really do not know what she needs at this point. This morning she was falling asleep at 1h15m and put her down and she slept for 90 minutes! Then she was very awake and needed longer A time but only a 45 minute nap.

I guess I just will have ot guess...

One question for now- should I keep waking her up in the morning? She goes down for bed at 8pm takes about 10 minutes to fall asleep. Then we wake her at 7:30am. When she wakes at 5 or 6, she could probably sleep longer, but when she only wakes once around 4am she usually wakes on her own around 7:30... Not sure if se just needs the extra sleep when she has a EW...

Offline danaadell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM Rx
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 15:50:17 pm »
This is my kiddo too! I've tried more A time and less A time! 45 minutes is just his thing right now. I am going to chalk it up to developmental right now and worry about it later (easier said than done!).

Good luck-- I hope you have a better response to changes in A time!!
Warren Henry -- 2/7/14

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 17:05:09 pm »
So the last two days for the first A time we wait until she stops activity and starts closing her eyes to know when to put her down. Both times we had good naps. The rest of day not so much but we still have all say today. Was 1.15 yesterday and 1.35 today... Crazy!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 18:25:07 pm »
It comes down to them not being robots I think - some days they need more sleep than others.  It's great you've read her cues so well :D

Re waking in the morning - you could use a 'wakeup window' of 7.30 +/- 30 mins, so maybe give her up to 8am on a day when she's had an EW just in case she needs the extra bit of sleep?  Given BT is 8pm, 7.30-8am is a very reasonable start to the day xx

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 01:07:55 am »
Now at 10 weeks old, she is doing 1h30m A time, sometimes longer. completely awake and smiling. She also is drinking less and with the 45 minute naps I think we need to transition to 3.5 EASY. Does that sound reasonable?

Today with 1h35-45min A time, she had good naps and I had to do undertired naps for the last 2 naps... I notice the 3.5 EASY only has 3 naps- I assume you just add a CN if she does not nap well?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 07:36:35 am »
Sounds like she's ready for a touch more A time, yes :). If naps don't go well then a CN is one option, or failing that early BT is often a winner in this house x