Author Topic: preparing and storing baby food  (Read 2284 times)

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
preparing and storing baby food
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:18:36 pm »
Well ladies how do you prepare purées for your LOs?
What do you boil, bake and what do you give raw?
I have made apple purées and since it was just to introduce it and then I put the rest in little jars (my friend uses store bought purées so I got some of the jars, is that ok?) store it in the fridge for 2-3 days than throw it away.
If I freeze some maybe like this how long do I keep it in the freezer?

Also after, when its time to give it to her, how do I reheat it? I dont have a microwave right now and dont know when we`ll get it.
Also I`ve seen a lot about cubes of  purées . Do I buy just a regular ice cube tray and use that to freeze it and after it is frozen to put it in a zip log bag?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:22:36 pm by dache »

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
Re: preparing and storing baby food
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:53:13 pm »
hi hun....
i'm def not an expert, but this is what we use to freeze the purees....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vital-Baby-Small-Freezer-Pots/dp/B003YUC16Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401626936&sr=8-1&keywords=vital+baby
they are really handy because they have a rubber-y bottom so it's much mujch easier to pop out the frozen cubes.

i've used the regular ice-cube trays when i was stuck, but i'm a little wary because unless you have them covered properly, mine tended to get a feeezer-burn type thingy!

we usually take out whatever we want for the following day just before we go to bed & leave it to defrost in the fridge.
if it's a veg though, i would pop it in the microwave to heat it up a little. i'm sure you could get a similar effect from reheating in a pot though?

i use a steamer for everything-soooo handy & way less washing-up!!!!

i tend to throw away whatever isn't eaten....if DH doesn't finish it off first that is!!!

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 13:05:13 pm »
I just used regular ice cube trays then put them into labelled ziplock baggies once it was frozen (usually that night or the next morning, which avoided freezer burn).  I steamed everything where possible, though usually baked sweet potatoes in the skin.  I'd have to check, but I think once frozen it can keep for 2 months.  Anything reheated and not eaten I would throw away.  I used a microwave to reheat, but like happy said I'm sure you can just reheat in a pot.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 17:29:46 pm »
Maybe some of the tips here could help
Tips for Making Baby Food

Offline dache

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 17:35:26 pm »
Thank you creations this was exactly what I was looking for. I did look at the topics under solid food, especially the FAQ but I didnt see that one other wise I wouldnt have started a new topic.

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 18:21:15 pm »
Don't worry about it - sometimes FAQs are hard to find :)

Offline dache

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 19:05:12 pm »
I have a new question  ;D
Im confused and dont know how exactly to put the question, so I need to elaborate it.
When making purees I store them in a jar that my friend gives to me (she is using store bought ones)
So yesterday I made puree form half an apple and 2 halves plum. When I put it the jar it filled half a jar of 125gr.
Im guessing this is the confusing part. When my friend gives the purees form the jar she gives the whole jar.
For me to fill that jar I need to use 2 apples, maybe more. And that sounds a lot to me.
So how much fruit do I use for one feed? Do I guide myself with the jars or just use an apple,mash it and give it, regardless of the amount of puree that comes out of it?

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 19:36:50 pm »
The jar may have a lot of water or thickening agents or air in it - it's not necessarily the same as your home made puree.
It can be worrying to start comparing what our own LO eats with what another LO eats, they all have individual needs.
Half an apple and a whole plum sounds like plenty of fruit to me (probably about 3 or 4 portions). Otherwise I would be guided by LO, she'll let you know when she's had enough.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 20:41:14 pm »
Yes, definitely be guided by your baby. They are all different!

For us, the baby food pots that you can buy to fill with your own purees (like little plastic jars) have lasted incredibly well. I still use them to freeze small amounts of ingredients eg pesto, parmesan, herbs, and really wouldn't be without them as a cook. So instead of ice cube trays it might be worth getting yourself some of these little pots, especially as you can use them as your baby gets older!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline dache

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 08:22:16 am »
Thank you ladies
Im not comparing how much her baby is eating to mine. Especially with our circumstances with feedings. (And her baby is on the bigger side so, we have no chances to compare to that :))
I am following her cues. I offer her the puree, yesterday she had maybe a spoon full, the other day she had more. Im ok with that.
It just confused me that so little puree came out of what I was making and the jars are so big  :)

Offline creations

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 10:08:56 am »
I think sometimes people serve the jar food in a bowl so the remainder in the jar can be stored in the fridge and used the following day or two depending on the storage instructions on the jar.