Author Topic: 10mo 2-1 EASY help please.  (Read 1030 times)

Offline MissyD

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10mo 2-1 EASY help please.
« on: June 03, 2014, 01:28:56 am »
Hello,

DS2 is a textbook baby and has been quite a good sleeper (BF to sleep however, no independent sleeping here) but lately, has been refusing BT.  I'm assuming it has to do with the 2-1 transition so I was wondering if I could get some help with my EASY as it's no longer working and our days seem to be super long.

WU 730
Nap 11/1130-1
Nap 430-530
BT 930/10 (I put him to bed at 830 but he's been flat our refusing to sleep, although he seems to be super tired and showing all the tired signs)

Today, I tried to cap his afternoon nap at 45 minutes but it still took him 1.5 hours to fall asleep.

Please help! :-\

Thanks!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 10mo 2-1 EASY help please.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:31:02 am »
Hi missy,

We're going through this too although we might be a few weeks ahead of you!

For us a 45-minute nap was a full sleep cycle so DD could go for hours! If it were me I would keep the first nap as is for now as you're getting a decent nap and cap that CN even further to 30mins. You might even need to go to 20mins later but see how you go with that at first. The last A before bed could come down a little then and try BT at 8.30? I would try to keep to a 13hr day but it becomes really difficult around now.

See how you go with the shorter CN and let us know how you get on? It worked for us for a couple of weeks at least.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:46:55 am »
^^ I agree! cap that pm nap at 30 mins and see how he goes. We often had a 2-3 hr A following a 30 min nap to BT at 10 mths. (Usually 2.5)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline MissyD

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 17:20:19 pm »
I just had a quick question... would going cold turkey on the transition and going straight for 1 nap and early bedtimes be too much too soon?

I find DS2 doesn't take well to catnaps (although I don't know if 1hr is considered a catnap).  I figure if I only gave him a 20 minute nap this afternoon, he would probably be super cranky, when he's typically a very happy and easy going baby.  I was thinking to maybe try to push his A times slowly and just give him one super long nap in the afternoons.  He's done that in the past a couple of times (not on purpose however) and he's slept for about 2-3 hours. 

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 17:47:28 pm »
Hiya, I've just replied to you in the 2-1 thread so I won't repeat myself  ;) But yep, extend just like that. I wouldn't recommend cold turkey tbh. Have you read the stickies about the 2-1 transition? The bumps, etc one was really helpful to me. 10/ 11mo sleep gone wonky? Read this first! (2-1 switch)

20 mins CN don't go down too well here really as DD hates being woken up but after a few mins she's back to her crazy self. They really do work wonders when you want BT to be at a reasonable hour. That is, if they don't refuse them  ::)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 17:50:05 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 17:50:31 pm »
Hi again, you might find that a 1 hour nap doesn't suit because he's waking part way through a sleep cycle, when he is possibly in deep sleep. I agree with pps to try a shorter CN for a few days and see how you get on.

If after 3-5 days you're still not getting anywhere you can try something else. I think LOs need to be able to manage at least 4.5hours A time before one nap is really possible so keep trying with the two naps for a bit.
~ Naomi ~

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:22:34 am »
I wouldn't go straight to 20 mins but try 35 or so which is often when they come out of deep sleep. :-\
He's very young for 1 nap. We had some 1 nap days at 9 mths but the process took a good month or two before we were ok on 1 nap a day consistently.
***Sara***

Offline MissyD

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:58 am »
Today went better than yesterday, with a 20 minute CN...

WU 815
Nap 12:15-130
CN 5-520
BT 730 (it took about 10/15 minutes for him to finally fall asleep - on the breast - will work on PROPS next!)

So far we've had one NW at 830 where I had to go in and pat him to sleep.  Will see how the rest of the night goes.  But thanks for all the ideas/advice.  After the 20 minute CN I had to hold him for a little longer than usual but after about 15 minutes of sitting in my lap, he jump right off and was back to being himself (just like Kellyjs said!)

Would it be advisable to try to push his A time to 4hr15min in hops of him taking a longer first nap?  Or should I just stick to a 4hr A and keep with the 20 minute CN for the time being (since it worked well today)?  When should I attempt to push the A out?  Sounds like my LO is still young to be taking 1 nap from what people are saying. 

Thanks for the links.  Will read them now!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 05:44:29 am »
Personally I would try and keep that CN for as long as possible until he refuses it. The longer you can wait it out the better! Glad BT was a lot better  :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 07:47:03 am »
You could def push that first As time too, looks like an UT first nap ;)
***Sara***

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 17:34:21 pm »
Lovely wu though!i don't think DD has ever slept until 8.15am! Very jealous! X