Author Topic: cluster feeding, dream feed- how early?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline kayra

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
cluster feeding, dream feed- how early?
« on: June 03, 2014, 17:32:19 pm »
I've been re-reading some of the BWSAYP and noticed that Tracy suggests cluster feeding and the dream feed as early as 1 week. I don't think I started dreamfeeding DS1 till he was a couple of months or so, it still seems too early for the twins right now but I was curious about how early anyone has ever tried it and whether it was successful. Anyone care to share their experience?

xx

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: cluster feeding, dream feed- how early?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 18:04:05 pm »
I started when DS was 3mo. Good timing for us. He was able to go through 12h night with 1NF at random time but could go until 5am without a feed. These early morning feeds were difficult for us as he had problems with resettling so we kicked in with DF. It worked like a dream.

Earlier I was afraid that I would wake him (when he was younger resettling wasn't easy).
~Marta

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 03:46:38 am »
All my three naturally cluster fed from birth, with DD's 1 & 2 I did a df within a week or so but with DD3 she would never take one so we never bothered.
Heidi

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 08:17:26 am »
so Heidi they naturally did a 2hr stretch and then you did a df? and then would that tide them over for a good while?

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:02 am »
It did with DD1...but DD2 woke for two nf's in addition to the df until she was about 6 months and then dropped them herself cold turkey! I think there was maybe a 2.5/3 hr stretch from bed to df but not entirely certain!
Heidi

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 13:36:03 pm »
hmm, well these guys feed around 10-11 themselves right now anyway and then get up around 3, so i expect the only way df would work would be if they cut that 10-11 feed themselves and I introduced a df instead in hopes of getting rid of the 3 feed, does that make sense?

Angel, April 2011

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 13:45:58 pm »
With DS he was waking up by himself at 10pm after 7pm feed in first week than 1 more feed later (I know that many children will have 2 more not one). Than, week by week it went by and when he was 3 weeks it was around 12 and than after 1am. I personally introduced DF when DS woke for feed around 4/5am and he was very very difficult to resettle. So I decided to feed him at 23 so now he is easily going to 7am.
~Marta

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 13:54:50 pm »
Yup, totally makes sense Kayra! Sounds like a good plan.
Heidi

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 18:41:06 pm »
yeah Marti I think with DS1 it was similar, so at that point the DF was great. Then when he was well on solids at about 7mths I think, I slowly brought the df forward reducing it bit by bit till it was merged into his bedtime bottle and that was that! :)

Angel, April 2011

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 05:09:07 am »
so these guys have started doing a long stretch from their 6-7ish feed. they arent waking at 10-11 anymore, pushing out to 11.30-12 or even 1.  i'm tempted to try the df but not sure. so we talked about it with my mum yesterday and i thought we'd agreed to wait and see a bit and went to bed early. obviously there was a miscommunication b/c they then did a df around 11.30 for them but ended up having to change nappies b/c they were soiled, then they also woke up around 1.45/2.30 and then both went till 6.

so, its surprising that they woke so soon after the df, on the other hand tracy advises the df to be between 10-11 and they did it later, not to mention nappy change, so not exactly a df.
Why does the df have to be between 10-11? do you think it's worth trying at this stage? i'm unsure what to do...

Angel, April 2011