Author Topic: Breaking feeding to sleep and starting EASY  (Read 781 times)

Offline Bizking75

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Breaking feeding to sleep and starting EASY
« on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:29 am »
Hi,

I have a gorgeous 10 week old girl,

She lost a lot of weight in the first week, due to a poor latch.  I found it quite traumatic, and it's taken me a while not to feel upset about it.  I felt terrible my baby must have been so hungry. 

Because of this I realise I have a strong desire to feed her and to presume she needs feeding everytime she stirs or crys.  I am really trying to break the cycle of feeding to sleep, that I have encouraged.  I have begun to understand her cues more, and realise when she is tired, but it's very hard to get her to settle without feeding her. 
During the day, If I put her in a sling or take her for a walk in the pram she will now sleep for about 45mins to an hour.  I can only get her to nap for 20mins (sometimes) in the Moses basket.  If she wakes up at the 45 min mark, and I cannot re settle her, she makes routing signs, I give her a dummy, which pleases her for about 5 mins,so I end up feeding again, but she will fall a sleep after5 mins, we then seem to get into a snacking routine for the rest of the day.  She still wakes at night a couple of times, and again I think one of these times I feed her to sleep again, and one of the times she is genuinely hungry.

I have started to try to do the 3 hour EASY routine, sometimes it works, but it's very easy for it to get out of sync, and I often find I'm feeding constantly from about 5pm until she eventually falls a sleep at about 8.30pm. 

My other problem, is that my partner also automatically thinks she is hungry, and gives up putting her to bed.  We try to put her down when she looks sleepy, been fed, changed and cuddled, but as soon as we put her in her Moses, she will often start to kick and try to play, looking really alert, then eventually cry as she is over tired, I end up feeding her, and she falls a sleep.

She also has reflux, which I think wakes her up

I need some reassurance, and tips on how to break the habits. (I don't want to do controlled crying like a lot of people I know suggest)

Thanks x

Offline Eva2014

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Breaking feeding to sleep and starting EASY
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 22:17:26 pm »
It looks like we are in the same situation! my daughter is 11 weeks old and has silent reflux which is now under control, therefore I'm really trying to establish EASY now. Any help from anyone on this forum would be really helpful x

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Re: Breaking feeding to sleep and starting EASY
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 17:57:38 pm »
Biz king - is your dds reflux under control?  It will be very difficult for her to sleep properly if it's not.