Author Topic: 5 am wakings - What am i doing wrong? :)  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Mazurmag

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 04, 2014, 14:06:24 pm »
Hello,
My son is almost 10 months old and has been waking up around 5.20 every day for the last 3 weeks (6-6.30 for few months before that). Nothing has changed in his routine which is as follows:
5.00 -5.20 wake up (ugh!)
7.30  feeding 7 oz mix of formula and breastmilk
9.45 or 10.15 nap - about 1-1.5h
11.30   Feeding 4 oz formula and 4 oz solids
14.30.  Nap 30 mins ( he skipped it last few days as it was impossible to put him to sleep even though he
            seemed tired)
18.00   3 oz cereal
19.00 bath
19.30. 8 oz formula and breastmilk mix
20.00 bed ( he's asleep around 20.15-20.30 depending how much he wants to fight it)

Is there any way to get him to sleep at least until 6? Please tell there is a way :)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 5 am wakings - What am i doing wrong? :)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 17:54:50 pm »
Hi Hun I think your son has built up some OT. If he's waking at 5 and not going to be until 8 that's a very very long day.  Have you tried EBT? Also are you waking him at 30min or he just naturally wakes during his second nap at 30? Is he an independent sleeper?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 18:00:21 pm »

Offline Mazurmag

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:44:40 am »
Hello, thank you both for a quick reply. I haven't tried EBT, the thing is if baby goes to sleep earlier, daddy will not see him as much. Do you think putting him to bed at 7.30 may help or should it be earlier?
It really depends with the 30 mins nap, sometimes he will wake up in his own, sometimes i have to wake him up when it's feeding time around 3.30 or 4 pm ( seems like i have to wake him up if he fought hard to fall asleep). He used to wake up at night, but giving him a pacifier would usually put him back to sleep ( usually, we had night when he was standing in his crib wanting to be picked up at 3 am and not wanting to go back to sleep).
 I read putting him later for 1st nap might help and that's how we got to 10 am when he gets cranky and practically passes out on the floor, so there's no way, at least for now, i can push it any later.
I read the thread about 2-1 switch, it seems interesting, especially because he tends to fight the 2.30 pm nap. But he seems really tired, so i force him, maybe i shouldn't?

I'm sorry for the long post, i just don't know how to deal with the whole early waking/ naps situation

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 16:59:17 pm »
I haven't tried EBT, the thing is if baby goes to sleep earlier, daddy will not see him as much. Do you think putting him to bed at 7.30 may help or should it be earlier?
Unfortunetely no he wouldn't but it's not for ever. Once you get him caught up on Sleep you can start pushing BT back out again. There were a few months where my DH didn't see him a few days in a row because of EBT but that's just the way it was. As for putting him to bed earlier you'll never know until you try. At this age you really want to stick to 13hr Day Max and putting down for an EBT would be like 12.5 so that's tough but some days it just works. My lo didn't tack on lost day sleep so we didn't do super early bed times but for some it has worked wonders. 7:30 wouldn't be early enough. If he's waking at 5 I'm thinking 5:30/6 max for now to try and get him caught up.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 18:03:05 pm »
I don't think you are ready to drop to one nap for a while yet, but what did you think about maybe having a shorter 1st map so he will take a longer second nap? And hopefully won't fight it as much.