Author Topic: 10 month old (9 months corrected) refusing all food  (Read 6165 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 10 month old (9 months corrected) refusing all food
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 18:16:32 pm »
she will stick her nail in my arm and watch my face to see whether I scream, or look shocked. Right now I am not giving any reaction apart from explaining that it hurts and moving her away from me.
OW! I'd scream ow and put her down immediately making it clear it really does hurt.

If you think the tongue thing is an experiment, fine, you know her best. Otherwise I'd be wondering about having her throat or tonsils checked to be sure she hasn't some discomfort there.

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 19:33:07 pm »
Pretty sure it's not her tonsils, she had no problem eating her favourite meal of fish pie today - even with whole peas in it which I was pleased about.

She is going through a phase of trying to get attention by digging her nail in arms, breast pinching  :o clenching her fists and gritting her teeth, and now trying to make herself sick. She only tried once today, and it was a half hearted attempt so I'm not too worried. I give her lots of attention and positive praise when she does good things. She had always been very independent and headstrong.

I'm trying not to worry about food too much, she ate two meals but refused milk today...hoping she will come round to loving food soon!

She has dug her nails in me ever since she was born. She used to fall asleep scratching me, or her sheets. I thought it would eventually disappear but 11 months on and she still loves scratching. The nail digging has just gone up a level. I did used to say OW! And put her down but she would laugh and crawl off to find something else to do. She doesn't really mind me putting her down - it's an opportunity to explore. And the ow is just the same as me going boo! To her
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 19:37:42 pm by nippo »
Mummy to two gorgeous twin girls

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 17:35:19 pm »
I've talked to a bunch of Moms about the whole feeding issue (it's the only thing I really stress about) and they've all said to try not to stress about it.  It's hard but hubby and I have taken the mentality of "This is whats for breakfast/lunch/dinner, you don't have to eat it but that's what's being offered." If it's been a total no-eating day, we'll cave and offer yogurt or hummus but otherwise we stick to our guns because we're learning, at least for our guy, he's just not hungry at that time.  We make sure we give him a slightly larger bottle at the next feed.  I'm also holding off a little longer with feeding.  I used to feed him at noon and five but now I wait until he's been awake for longer than 30 minutes and he seems more receptive to food.
My DS used to do a coughing thing that made us think he was choking but he was just testing out his vocal folds and seeing what sounds he could make. It took us couple days to figure it out and then we ignored it.  Now he only coughs if he's actually choking.  I have no advice for the nail digging, sorry!  :-\  If you know how to hold a baby down long enough to cut their nails, I'd love to hear about it!!  :D

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 18:06:12 pm »
Hello ladies, thanks for the advice.

Almost a month on and not much has changed apart from her eating her porridge in the morning. She spit out any lumps and I've given her finger foods and she will chew them and spit them out.

Apart from the porridge she will eat Ella's kitchen puffits. Today I tried a chicken and rice casserole. She would only eat a bit of it if granddad fed her tiny bits with his finger.

She is curious about food and always wants what her Grandma is eating. So we tried to keep some at the side of the plate for her to eat. She takes it, chews it then spits it out and goes back for more....

This has gone on for a week. I'm a bit worried about her eating Grannie's food as it contains some salt. I don't want her to get a taste for it. But if she will at least try it (even if it is just to spit it out) then I guess it better than nothing.

I just feel exhausted with trying everything and mealtimes are stressful for me - but I try not to show her.

Offline creations

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 06:50:21 am »
Sorry to hear this is still worrying you.

I wonder if you've had her checked for tongue tie? I've heard sometimes tongue doesn't show up until later, with solids introduction.  There's a small chance a tongue tie could be causing her to spit the food out as she isn't manipulating it to where it needs to be in her mouth?  It might be worth a check with your health professional, even if just to rule it out?

If she likes Granny's food but you are worried about salt levels maybe you could prepare some salt free steamed veggie batons and pop them on Granny's plate for her?
Otherwise I would just keep offering small portions. You never know, at her next growth spurt she might suddenly get a taste for chewing and swallowing solids.

Keep us posted.

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 07:48:16 am »
Thanks creations. They were checked for tongue tie at birth as Anise didn't want to Breast feed. She hates having the bottle in her mouth too. She used to push it out 3 times before accepting it even when she was starving.

Maybe I'll get on to the salt team at our hospital to make sure she is OK...I guess she is eating granny's food so maybe she just wants to be a grown up...

Offline creations

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 17:41:45 pm »
I guess she is eating granny's food so maybe she just wants to be a grown up...
Yes maybe. Mine would never accept a plastic spoon even at 6 months old, had to give him a metal one just like the adults have. He did accept a plastic fork for a short while but that quickly moved on to metal too.  And a real plate... luckily he's not the sort to throw the plate on the floor ;)

Did you ask for a second opinion on the tongue tie? I only ask as I heard a fellow BWer had some difficulty in getting a diagnosis.

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 18:17:30 pm »
The SALT team at our hospital said I could call them any time but they have seen my girl at least three times with bottle and breast refusal. They were 100% sure that she had no tongue tie up until 6 months so I am quite confident that she isn't. And the fact that she can eat when she wants to makes me think she might just be asserting her independence. She really doesn't like change x

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 19:09:37 pm »
Creations & LauraDJ,

We had a breakthrough. Last week our little girl started eating banana 3 months after we moved to lumpy food! It's been a long old slog trying to get her to accept table food but she is starting to (very slowly) come round to the idea that some chewy food might be OK.

The vast majority of food she still chews and spits out which I really don't understand. But she will eat Granny's pasta, banana, and grapes, and packet roast lamb dinner. For now, I'm satisfied. It isn't a varied palette and she still tries to swallow her food rather than chew but she is making a small step towards becoming a big girl.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 19:27:42 pm by nippo »

Offline creations

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 19:19:35 pm »
Lovely update :)
Funny thing is around 1 yo is when my DS began to refuse some of the foods he had previously eaten with gusto. I think their tastes are constantly changing so if you keep offering different things now and again there will be a day when she suddenly tries something new, then another, then another and her foods with broaden in variety little by little.  I don't consider mine fussy because he eats such a wide range of foods but he's only recently agreed to try lasagne even though he liked every ingredient in there the way it is put together put him off before (he doesn't like mixed up foods but is getting better and doesn't like certain textures mince/rice/couscous).
Hope you're giving Granny double servings if she's losing it to DD ;)