Author Topic: Need help getting 8 month old back on track. DESPERATE  (Read 933 times)

Offline JamieD2013

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need help getting 8 month old back on track. DESPERATE
« on: June 07, 2014, 13:31:26 pm »
Good morning!

I have a (nearly) 8 month old baby boy named Henry. I've posted on the EASY forum several times and have read both of Hogg's books, but I'm having some trouble implementing an EASY routine that helps my DS sleep through the night. I even went as far as to hire a sleep consultant to no avail.

Here's a bit of history:

About a month ago, Henry started waking up 5+ times and night and needed to be held to sleep each time. At that time, he was taking three naps a day with the last nap being a cat nap. His other two naps would be decent, but I often had to help him through the transition by holding or shssh/pat. His A time was between 2 hr, 30 and 2 hr, 45 min.

A moderator on the EASY board told me that we needed to drop the third nap by increasing his A time to at least 3 hours. She also suggested avoiding holding him to sleep. We had a few days of success with this, with only a few night wakings and some good naps. But after a few days he seemed increasingly overtired and had a harder time falling asleep at night, which led me to believe that the longer A times were making him overtired.

During this time I was able to get him to go down for each nap/bedtime completely awake, and we stopped having to hold him to sleep at night. Most of the time, we picked him up to settle him and he would fall right back asleep in his crib. But, we were still having poor naps and up to three night wakings.

The sleep consultant we hired told me to keep the third nap until he absolutely refused it, and told me that he should only be awake for 2 hours in the morning and 2.5-3 hours in the afternoon. Again, we had great success for a couple of days, and then things got progressively worst.

Now, for the past two nights, he has a terrible time falling asleep and is up at least twice before midnight. Then, he wakes again between 3-3:30 a.m. and is impossible to to sleep (holding or not).

He does use a paci as a prop, and I would like to drop it, but we're so exhausted and it's the only thing that will soothe him back to sleep during those early p.m. night wakings.

I'm not sure what to do at this point and need some help if possible. It seems like increasing his A time makes him overtired, but keeping the third nap makes him undertired. I am at a complete loss. I would like to avoid CIO if at at possible. I'm not against it, but I can't stand to hear him cry, especially at night.

Here was his EASY for the past two days:

THURSDAY

WU: 6:30, 8 oz of formula
E: Solids at 7:15
1st NAP: 8:31-9:58

E: 11 a.m. 7 oz
Solids: 11:30
2nd nap: 12:41-1:11

E:3 p.m. 8 oz
3rd nap: 4:31-4:45

Bedtime bottle: 6:47
Asleep: 7:15

FRIDAY:
Eat 4:30 a.m. (He wouldn't stop crying no matter what we did, so in desperation my husband fed him a 4 oz bottle and he fell right back asleep)

WU: 7:20
Eat: 7:30, 3 oz, Solids
1st nap: 9:30-11
Eat: 11:00, 9 oz
Eat: Solids at 12 p.m.

*He fell asleep for 10 minutes in the car on the way back from my husband's work picnic and skipped his afternoon nap.*

Eat: 3:00 p.m. 9 oz
Sleep: 3:11-4:20

Bedtime Bottle: 6:53, 9 oz
Asleep for the night: 7:20

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 17:02:17 pm by JamieD2013 »

Offline JamieD2013

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Helping getting 8 month old back on track. DESPERATE
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 13:53:11 pm »
I also want to add that he sleeps in a Zipadeezip, which is a swaddle transition sleep sack that covers his hands. He is able to put the pacifier in by himself, but not when sleeping because his hands are covered. My husband and I go back and forth about weening him off the pacifier or the zip. I've tried both a few times and I'm so weak I give in within 15 minutes.

Offline JamieD2013

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Helping getting 8 month old back on track. DESPERATE
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 14:22:36 pm »
And ... I just spotted a top tooth coming in.