Author Topic: Thread for LSN babies  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« on: June 08, 2014, 13:27:18 pm »
Hello girls, is there anywhere here thread like that? If not, is there any interest to create such and share experience in terms of A times, nap lengths at specific age etc? I think many mummies (including me...) cannot believe that their children may sleep soooo short and still be happy. So sharing experience in terms of what kind of routine you used for your LSN baby etc would be so so useful.

I've seen some specific threads about LSNs but maybe having it all in one place would benefit.

Wwyt?
~Marta

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Thread for LSN babies
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 18:12:23 pm »
Hi Martii85, I don't think there is anything like that at present (I'm assuming you mean a support thread like the ones for spirited or touchy babies?) but as you say there are several Mums with experience of LSN babies.  Did you have a specific question at the moment we can help with? 

I will investigate a little and come back to you :)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 19:53:06 pm »
Hi Catherine, I am feeling like I have some new questions every day with F:). His A times are amazingly high for his age in my opinion. Currently I am fighting with his catnap (DS is already on 3 naps when 16wo) which he is so resistant to settle even after 2:30h!
With this thread however I thought about general support. Not only asking Q/answering but more of support from other mummies who BTDT and may give not only advice but also some encouragement.

I also fear that I am still wrong... maybe DS is just an OT small bubba but not showing any signs of it, ykwim? As you know many mothers suspect their kids are LSN, when they do not sleep enough but there can be so many other reasons. However if DS is really LSN I would like to make my best to offer him what he needs.

So if there will be any other mums (already experienced or just new to the situation) it would be great to share opinions!
~Marta

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 20:07:36 pm »
My DS is low sleep needs. He's always a step ahead in terms of his naps/A times/sleep needs.

He's nearly 10 months old and if I can get 2 hrs of naps in total ok lucky and 10.5-11 hrs at night (a rare 11.5 about once a month).

And he's so busy all the time. Not crawling but wants entertaining and squirms and wriggles all the time and growls a lot. Cross he can't crawl and keeps trying and getting angry. We have to go out a lot to keep him busy/happy.
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 20:10:06 pm »
My guy is lsn so I can help!

I looked at the guidelines for sleep in the book and then ignored them as they were so far off what my DS did. We ended up doing AEASY in order to preserve his feeding times and yet get him enough activity time to sleep well.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 20:18:40 pm »
Ahh, great:))))! I have so many questions and queries, knew there would be someone to talk to:).

Will be back tomorrow to write down what are my current issues. Today DS had 2,5h of total day sleep instead of 4h he usually does. But it's not him being totally OT in the evening, but being happy and alert is making me crazy!
~Marta

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 20:21:53 pm »
Isn't that the great thing about BW?  You can still do easy but at your own pace, as it were! 

Both mine have been moderately lsn but not extremely so. Medi is having one 30 minute and one 90 minute nap and an 11 hr max night at 8.5 months. Luckily I had the courage this time round to really push her a times.  It's not all roses though, we get a lot of ew and a lot of loooong chatty NW. I suspect she'll be better once we get to one nap but she's not there yet.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 05:49:35 am »
My DD3 is incredibly low sleep needs. From about 4 weeks old she was on a routine for a 4 month old (sleep wise, bf wise we had to do EAEAS) and went to one nap at 7.5 months. Her nap is now capped (9.5 months) at 1.5 hrs or we get long nw's and ew's. I did not really catch on until she was 4 months old how lsn she was as with the older two I had been fitting her routine in where it worked. In fact if she had not have been my third baby I am sure I would have gone bonkers by now trying to make her fit an age appropriate routine!
Heidi

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:04:37 am »
I think there are an awful lot of babies that never sleep as much as an early days EASY, and a lot of kids that favour night sleep (so reduce the day sleep to protect it).

My DD slept an am CN, long lunchtime nap, pm CN from birth. Dropped the pm CN by 4 mths. At 6 mths I got her to do 2 long naps and she woke all.night.long whereas she was a good sleeper as a tiny baby. Went to one nap age 8mths and dropped it at age 2.

Oddly though at age 4 she is completely normal! Sleeps 11.5-12 hrs at night and has done since age 2.

In BWer sleep begets sleep, but in other peoples work the above routine patterns are pretty normal. EASY is about following cues, but I think many quoted examples are for more sleepy babies really.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 07:30:29 am »
Having more kids and being more selfconfident probably helps. I am just feeling like having a walk in the fog:(.

When something is working for couple of days, soon after nothing is working. I am frantically looking for some examples/ sample routines to gain experience from but he is just not cooperative with what I have found:). Sleeping max 11,5h at night mostly 11 or less. At 16wo having 2:15 A time and in the afternoon he may go for 2:30+ even. He is fighting his catnap like a first-class-lion and it looks like he doesn't want to sleep. Thanks God, BT routine is working. I guess maybe it is like Liz you said, some babies protect their night sleep so just doesn't want to sleep during day

Do you remember girls your routines with 4mo? BW routine for 4h is working for us (a bit longer A, a bit shorter naps but generally working) until afternoon when there is time for catnap which DS protest to have. And he needs it, I am sure of it. Yesterday we had one good nap in the morning (1:15), than a crap nap in the afternoon (0:30+next 0:30 half asleep as he was trying with no success) and than after a horrendously long A we, he went for a catnap like a dream (however only 0:45)... Total day sleep 2:30 or 3:00 if we count 0:30 of resettling as a nap.

Would like to give him what he wants however also to get any kind of nice routine (I pray for good nights as I am coming back to work when he is 6mo).
~Marta

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 09:38:25 am »
Girls do you remember when you went to 2 naps? Thanks!
~Marta

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 09:41:01 am »
DD dropped her CN at 4 mths - just wouldn't have it anymore.

DS was a CN'er until 5.5 months anyway, then went to 2 longer naps a day.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 09:50:53 am »
Thanks Liz!

So it's possible... Goshhh, I changed his routine from 4 naps to 3 naps a month ago, and I am feeling like two more weeks and we will drop the catnap. Am nap just shortened, refusal to settle for 1st/2nd nap after 2:15 of A and before the catnap he takes even 3:00 A and after 2:45 he let me APOP this nap... Let's see what next days bring, but with A on the level of 2:30-3:00 I may be able to get rid of awful pm catnap. Jut have to modify feeding routine to match naps.

Will be 4mo in 5 days.
~Marta

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 10:12:10 am »
We went to 2 naps at 4 months as well...the second nap quickly became a short catnap too.
Heidi

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 10:35:24 am »
We went around 6mo - but he was getting up around 5am (still is an early bird) and on 2 night feeds.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 11:26:01 am »
And do you have any advice how to drop this nap?
~Marta

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 13:14:09 pm »
We did it cold turkey!
Heidi

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 15:09:05 pm »
Me too - neither of my kids was ever routine enough to 'transition'  ;)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 15:59:04 pm »
Eh we are in wonder week for sure because his A time are hit & miss. Hope that after couple of days it will get better:).
~Marta

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 16:58:25 pm »
Just a quick hello - will be back later properly but I have 2 lsn LOs. Lily is slightly lsn and Jack is very lsn.  I know from talking to other mummies of lsn babies that there are definite similarities between them. Good idea for a thread - I've considered starting one like this many times but never quite gotten round to it.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 07:57:23 am »
Almost 3h A in the morning... Will see how the first nap will go and what will happen later. Let's see if we have a chance for 2 naps today. If not... DH is at home early and there will be both of us fighting with an OT baby in the evening:P.
~Marta

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 08:20:41 am »
We did it... 2 naps and 3,5h of total day sleep. More than on 3 naps btw and blocked in two nice long naps. 11,5h of night sleep. No meltdown however tired for every single nap and tired for bedtime. Two brief NWs with crying but I just shhhhh and he got back to sleep. Don't even know if I was needed as the intervention lasted 15sec. Probably OT but he was waking the same when on 3 naps, so whatever. I know that I am keeping him awake for a loooong time but he settles like a dream for naps, sleeps soundly 1,5h-2h and is in a good mood in the afternoon what makes me believe that's a right direction.

Still:( feel a bit guilty for tiring him out so much but hope it will be better for him.
~Marta

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 01:42:46 am »
My DS1 was LSN and went to one nap at 7 months. Thought my DD2 was LSN, but now her A times are all over the place. Poor napping.  He went to 2 naps at 5 months. Still is LSN. Sleeps maybe 10.5 hours at night and then will lie in his crib until I get him at 7am entertaining himself. Even at 27 months sometimes does pretty well without a nap at all- just "quiet time" in his crib. To tell you the truth, I love LSN babies and hate naps. Just still need to figure out my DD2...

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 19:21:45 pm »
That's what I think is by far the best thing about lsn babies - you get through the napping stage quicker :) I hate naps too - it's so much easier and free-er when you don't have to factor naps in. Every time jacks naps/ sleep stresses me out I think "this time in a year we'll be done with them"!