Author Topic: Tips for getting my 1 year old to take milk from a sippy cup?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline nanimaria

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I want to start my 1 year old on some cow's milk but she has never taken a bottle and I haven't been able to get her to start now.  I've been trying to skip her afternoon nursing session so that she's hungry/thirsty enough to take it.  My husband has tried giving it to her and today we tried a sippy cup with no luck.  Any advice?  Should we just be consistent and give it time?
Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Tips for getting my 1 year old to take milk from a sippy cup?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 20:59:02 pm »
There are some tips here like how to guide the cup in LOs hands to her mouth and to not put too much in the cup
Transitioning to a Sippy Cup
It may also help to put your own drink in a sippy cup to demonstrate and make it fun.
I hear many BF babies prefer a straw rather than a sippy so perhaps try that. I showed my LO how I used a straw and first introduced it by trapping some milk inside by putting my finger on the other end, then with his permission guiding it to his mouth and releasing my finger so a little milk went into his mouth, so he knew what it was.
Or try an open cup?
You might have more luck replacing the afternoon BF with a solids snack and a cup of water, at 1yo the solids meals become the primary food so it's ok for milk intake to drop now.

Offline nanimaria

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Tips for getting my 1 year old to take milk from a sippy cup?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 15:45:06 pm »
Thank you!