Author Topic: Common food sensitivities - what affected your LOs?  (Read 6192 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Common food sensitivities - what affected your LOs?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 09:39:04 am »
Mmmm we had the typical reactions here for strawberries. t usually has intolerance issues but with strawberries he got a rash and a bit puffy. http://www.livestrong.com/article/543876-the-signs-of-a-strawberry-allergy-in-a-baby/

Strawberries give me the runs and sore Tum if I have too many ::) (yes I am a pig and eat them by the dozen)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 13:17:01 pm »
Strawberries causing constipation is not something I have come across but of course anything goes  ::)

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 16:45:31 pm »
My boys were born at 38 weeks so not too early.  However thanks for sharing Mashi, I'm in agreement with you (and tbh annoyed with myself ::) for listening to the new stupid rules here which say babies can have anything and everything after 6mths other than whole nuts and honey and that is what is recommended)  I never started DS on strawberries until after a year.

Laura that was also the recommendation when DS was born - though I know that with HVs things can vary by region from region and there is no consistency --- even from one to another across the road really ::) But we were also told that from 6 months, just get it in there, just no honey.  Even the dietician at the hospital who we were sent to for feeding advice when he was diagnosed with MSPI was utterly useless.  Shockingly useless.  She just said "Oh, so he's allergic to milk and soy.  So, you can't let him have anything with milk or soy in it...." and that was the extent of her advice! LOL!! I kept him gluten free as well until 12 months because my mother was a biopsy-confirmed celiac and I had read keeping GF can help the digetsive system build up stronger.  Anyway.  But I followed a slow introduction of foods, 3-day rule (5 days in many cases) and introduced foods in order that they are advised by age due to how easy they are for a baby to handle them.  Anyway, the dietician's advice, for my 6.5mo MSPI baby was "just give him whatever you're having - if you're off to the chippy tonight for your tea, then just cut him off a chunk of your fish and give him a handful of your chips, just try to find ones that don't have a lot of salt on them!"  ::) No bother at all if there was milk or soy in it, no bother on the nutrition quality, don't worry about starting first with F&V, just get to the chippy and get that meat&spud pie into his gob ::) ::)

Anyway, I would just not bother with what any current recommendations are on the topic, esp if you have two MSPI babies.  I'd go slowly and use that chart from wholesome baby food as a guideline. There were a few times when I strayed a bit, I mean it would say broccolli not until 10 months, and DS was maybe 9m1wk or something. But I really kept the guidelines in mind. 

I made all of my fruits and veggies and pureed them and then put them in the freezer. Totally okay to do that.  I baked most of my fruits - plums, peaches, apples, pears that were not soft, etc.  They were lovely. Once nicer weather came and fruits were more ripe and in season they were usually soft enough to give them to him without cooking them first. I took the frozen ones out in the morning and defrosted them for the day. I did this with veggies as well.   DS only had fruits and vegetables really until about 9-10 months and then I started in on fish (mostly salmon) and scrambled egg yolks and started giving him more of a "meal" rather than just a taste of something to eat.  We did chicken for an early meat as well as lean steak mince (we are not lamb eaters). 

My DS was a rash reaction in strawberries - all around his mouth and face in hives within a few minutes.  But, we tried again about 6 months later and he was fine. 

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 08:05:07 am »
Ok so chicken with parsnip, carrots and peas and babyrice is made waiting to go in the freezer.  DH couldn't get lamb mince the other day so I'll pick some up tomorrow and then do a similar recipe with lamb.

LAURA xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 08:45:41 am »
Sounds good. I found a big lamb shank also thrown in the slow cooker with some water, root veges and chickpeas ended up scrummy, meat falling off bone and veges tender for rough mashing or BLW.

***Sara***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 20:58:38 pm »
Laura - can you bear doing a chicken stock? It can go in a slow cooker if you have one. It is SOOOOO good for babies tummies and a great source of calcium.

Offline babybarr

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 21:14:37 pm »
Tell me what I need to do! Other than boil some bones or is that it?!
LAURA xx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 21:26:24 pm »
Think it is just a matter of boiling bones to be honest. Start with cold water and skim off any scum. I would google bone broth and get a recipe if need one. I know most stocks are made with bones and veges but you might want to start simple as you are paring their diets right down. You will see how bone broth is raved about on line if you google it. I know some ladies on this board swear by it for their LOs with intolerances. x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 01:51:17 am »
I swear by it :) if you can add a bit of apple cider vinegar to get the calcium out of the bones. ;)
***Sara***

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 04:13:58 am »
I swear by it :) if you can add a bit of apple cider vinegar to get the calcium out of the bones. ;)

Oh, so did not know that! Laura I make my own broth now (totally not my thing but with DD2 being gluten free I have had to get more into this cooking thing!) and I do it in the slow cooker (actually I cook a small chicken in there first and then toss the bones back in and cover with water and keep on low for a night. Easy peasy! E loves broth. So far she has been good with everything but the older two weren't - I remember tomatoes & citrus being an issue on top of mpi but time has made me forget if there was anything else.
Heidi

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 06:03:18 am »
  I do it in the slow cooker (actually I cook a small chicken in there first and then toss the bones back in and cover with water and keep on low for a night. Easy peasy!
same ;)

Yeah the acidic nature of the vinegar draws out all the minerals of the bones. They even go soft once the calcium is drawn out! I assume you could use most types but ACV is the safest gut wise for us.
***Sara***

Offline babybarr

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 00:10:57 am »
Anyone have issues with sweet potatoes?
LAURA xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 00:58:57 am »
They used to constipate T. I 'think' they are high in fructose. :-\ T is fine on them now. Ty pumpkin or squash :-*
***Sara***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 14:37:56 pm »
Same with Olly till he was about a year.

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 23:40:57 pm »
On patties, my mum taught me to puree oats with a bit of water, salt and onions and then add that to the minced meat to make sure it all binds in the absence of egg or milk. Kids loved it!