Author Topic: 5 month old sleeps "only" 10 hours at night - EASY gets messed up (?)  (Read 892 times)

Offline Antonmania

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I have been reading a lot in this forum, its just great!  :)
Im a huuuge fan of Tracy and am now using EASY for my second child as I did for my first one (two boys :-)).

Now my youngest one is really a natural when it comes to EASY, right from the beginning it was really easy to get him on a routine. He has always been great at self soothing and never really challenged us with short naps or a lot of nightwakings (in contrast to our first son...).

After 3 month he slept through the night, 11,5 hours often, and we couldnt believe it ! But then he woke up during night and we understood that it was time for the 4-hour routine. Since then we never really got back to the nice 11,5 hours, now he can do 10 hours only. At first I thought it was early-waking but then I realised that he actually was rested, staying awake for 2,5 hours easily. So....10 hours means that if you put him to bed at 7pm he Wakes up at 5am (!!!) NOT GOOD! In addition he would wake his older brother  . NO, that didnt work for us. So now we put him to bed later, at 8pm, but to get there we have to have 4 naps during the day (2 x 1,5-2h and 2 x catnaps), otherwise he wont last until 8pm.

Now Im really unsure if Im doing the right thing here or if I mess it up even more.
Do you think he really is rested after 10 hours or should I try wake to sleep?
And now his days are reeeeally long - starting at 6am until 7:30-8pm...

here is Our EASY how it is now:

Wake: 6 am
E: 6-6:30
A:6:30-8:30
S:8:30-10
E:10-10:30
A:10:30-12:30
S:12:30-1:30
E:2:00-2:30
A:2:30-3:15
S:3:15-4
E:4:30-5
A:5-5:30
S:5:30-6
E:6-6:30
A:6:30-8
S:8

Now, you might say: extend A-times - but how far should I go? I can see that he is not up to longer than 2,5 hours in the morning and often 2h or less in the afternoon. Shall I keep him awake a bit anyways?

Very greatful for any ideas, or advice :-)

Julia

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Not sure if this helps but my dd sounds much like your ds I finally got one that sleeps 😄 I sometimes hear dd wake at 4 and she self settles back to sleep, then she will either go till nearly 8 am or wakes at 5 am I then feed her and put her straight back to bed, she goes straight down I then wake as normal about 7.45 she is on solids now so I will give her breakfast and try to hold off the next feed although she only goes about 3.5 hrs between feeds hence the starting of the solids 😛
We are nearly at 3 hrs A time now
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
I think you're right to push his A time a bit, maybe leave the first at 2.5h for now but try an extra 10-15 mins for the second and see if that gets you a longer nap?  The 1h nap suggests to me he's a bit UT and it may be if you can get a good second nap he'll handle a longer A time in the afternoon and be able to just have one catnap.  The longer A times should also make him a bit more tired so he can sleep more at night.  Have you read the link here: All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months