Author Topic: what are you being told by health professionals?  (Read 7906 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: what are you being told by health professionals?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 22:46:53 pm »
Me? or snowbird?
I think snowbird said fortified cereals in the UK "contain so much sugar" but she gives her LO weetabix so perhaps didn't mean weetabix is high.
I didn't say weetabix was high in sugar, I only said I personally wouldn't offer it (meaning to an 8 month old like OPs LO, or when mine was under 1yo) because is contains sugar, IMO the sugar free baby versions are preferable and that's what I chose because I didn't give DS sugar in anything until he was over 1yo.  Of course I fed him copious amounts of fruit and dried fruit which is super sweet.

It's not a dig at anyone who feeds their children weetabix  :-*

Offline scruffymax

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 04:19:30 am »
I think in Australia the official recommendations are to wait until 6 months to introduce solids, however my paed and nurse both recommended starting at 4 months due to new research indicating the delay in introduction of solids may be linked to increases in intolerances and allergies. I have been told with both children to introduce allergen foods eg peanut butter early (before 6 months) and include them in the diet regularly. I believe the recommendation is for milk first then solids around an hour later til around 9 months then at that age can start giving solids first. I was encouraged to start my children on meat etc before 6 months. DS (7mo) was never a good breast feeder and never happy or putting on much weight so on the advice of my chn I started him on solids about a week before turning 4 months - it was the best thing for him as he became a lot happier and started putting on more weight. He self weaned at 5 months and when I saw how little formula he was drinking (around 150ml in the morning and 40ml or less at the other 3 feeds) I was alarmed but neither the chn or gp were worried based on the fact he's putting on weight, is healthy, active and meeting developmental milestones.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 06:01:49 am »
Sorry on my phone so can't quote, creations I didn't think anyone was having a dig at anyone :) I was just confused, and still am a little bit. But don't mind me :-*
~ Naomi ~

Offline creations

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 07:12:23 am »
There's an NHS article with info from the Which report on cereals which shows you are right about weetabix being one of the lowest in sugar. The article also mentions reduced salt levels but some cereals are still crazy high on salt. Sorry you are confused.
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/02February/Pages/breakfast-cereals-still-too-high-in-sugar.aspx
(although I didn't see ReadyBrek mentioned, maybe there is something about it I don't know?)

Happy I think if there are new guidelines they take a while to filter through and are not always given in all areas at once. I attended a weaning course which was dead against BLW and was very clear this was an irresponsible method used by uncaring parents and kids were left alone to choke etc etc (what nonsense) whilst in the same course they said we must introduce finger food at 6 months...erm??? finger food is OK but BLW is not??  And in other areas of the country HVs had moved towards advising the BLW method instead of traditional weaning.
I don't think it means you have to change your weaning approach over night though.

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 11:45:14 am »
we dont eat well enough to BLW (on our to do list to sort out our own diets!) and we had a possible allergy with DD1 so that's why i'm going down the puree route with a new food every 3 days.....so, ya, i'm gonna  stick to that ....

what bothers me is her insistence that milk is not to be the primary source of nutrition...

Offline creations

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 17:09:02 pm »
I don't see how it's possible to say that solids can be the primary source of nutrition as so many 8 month olds don't eat that much in the way of solids.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 17:38:33 pm »
Mine certainly doesn't anyway, that's for sure!

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 17:58:29 pm »
MY HV came along at  15 weeks and said that six months is recommended (unless baby can sit up unsupported and has tantrums when others eat and has the skills to feed himself).

She gave me a little BLW booklet, told me to breastfed until at least 2 years and introduce solids 'for fun' when he is ready. She also said I can feed him sweet potato with his meds.

She recommended home made liver pate in case he gets iron deficient if he doesn't eat enough (his bloods get checked every weeks anyway).

Pretty much what I am doing already :)

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 18:45:58 pm »
I view it as a transition time - my issue with the whole solids for fun before age one is that the second they turn one people expect 3 meals a day and dropping milk pretty fast to get it down to where it ought to be.

Surely 9-12 months especially needs to be a bit of a 'transition' period, to get ready for the next bit iyswim?

Certainly those kids on little/ no solids at 12 months often then have a really tough time with it all. Tastes and textures when they are less flexible. And there really are a lot of people that do truly crazy things with solid introduction. Mums on here are sensible and well read to make these decisions, but that isn't necessarily true of others.

Perhaps 'getting them ready' is the best way of looking at it.

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 18:10:50 pm »
I just wanted to include the link to an article that ran in the Globe and Mail (one of the big newspapers in Canada).  It outlines the new recommending feeding guidelines in Canada, though you're in Ireland so it could be totally different.  I just thought you might want to be able to read an actual article that sounds like what your Ped is talking about.  It just came out last month.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health-advisor/into-the-mouths-of-babes-what-parents-need-to-know-about-new-canadian-feeding-guidelines-from-solids-to-sippy-cups/article18786160/

Having said that, we followed the traditional approach to solids because it works for us.  DS is 10 months old and still has three, 8oz bottles a day.  He's not a big eater so we don't push him and follow his cues but still try to give him a variety of tastes and textures that are similar, if not the same babied version, of what we eat.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 18:48:42 pm »
But those new guidelines don't state to put an emphasis on solids over bm or formula? I just skimmed it though...
Heidi

Offline *happy*

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 19:06:03 pm »
Thanks for that link hun...see.....reading that makes sense. (Iron etc etc) but what the doctor was saying just doesn't add up IMHO. I can't find anyone else who has gotten the advice to push push push the solids over the milk....I think she must have somehow gotten confused....although I'm not sure how...her own daughter has a 9 week old and is BFING, so you would expect her to have a heightened interest in all-things-baby, wouldn't you? !

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 20:49:59 pm »
Honestly happy I think she is just confused or is pushing something that she thinks is right - I agree with Liz that it is a transition time and that gradually you do need to up the solids and drop the formula or feeds (lol Miss E takes 32 oz a day, so I figure to start dropping it at 10 months and be down to half that by age 1) but I think it is a slow process.
Heidi

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 22:30:08 pm »
Okay I just had time to reread that link better and I think I know what could be causing the confusion if the guidelines are similar where you are happy - the last bit discusses how once a child is on whole milk that a parent has to be careful that lo is not drinking so much milk that they aren't getting enough solids and thereby enough iron rich foods. It says nothing about forgoing formula/bm in favour of solids, just that emphasis is placed on iron rich foods like meats and not cereals where the iron is less bio available. So I wonder is she taking that last bit to mean all "milks" and right from when weaning is started?
Heidi

Offline *happy*

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 15:32:26 pm »
Perhaps, yes.....I don't know tbh!!!
I plan to continue as we are anyway!!! I'll try and get red meat into her sooner than I would have done, but I won't be actively decreasing her BFs or bottles. Good plan?!