Author Topic: Weaning 14 month old  (Read 1006 times)

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 17, 2014, 00:32:47 am »
I'm wanting to start weaning my 14 month old.  I'm not sure what to supplement to make up for the nursing sessions.  Should I feed him right before bed to get him through the night?  This is our schedule....

630 nurse
745 solids
1145 nurse
1245 solids
400 nurse
445 solids
700 nurse

I want to start by dropping the 1145 feed, then the 400 feed, then go from there on the other two.  I've always been reluctant to wean because nervous he won't get enough nutrition without the nursing sessions.  Another thing I'm dealing with is he is allergic to milk and eggs.  We go to the allergist i two weeks so I will know more about if he can have milk and what kind.  That will definitely affect my weaning process, but I just wanted to start getting advice from other moms on how they began to wean, and what your easy schedule looked like.  Thanks

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Weaning 14 month old
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:53:43 am »
Hmm tough to know without knowing what the allergist will suggest - I know there are a lot of other milks (soy, almond, oat, coconut etc) but none of them are quite the same a whole milk which is normally what a lo would have at this age besides bm (though in saying that my DD2 was actually on formula until she was 18 months or so due to mpi). How is his diet otherwise?
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:33:08 am »
Have a look at our weaning FAQ and see which method you think would suit you best. Weaning

Any chance you could ask for a referral to a nutritionist? Or can the  allergist give advice on nutrition? If so I'd wait until you have spoken to them.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 16:40:57 pm »
His diet still consists of baby food with cereal and a variety of finger foods.  He like to chew up his fruit and spit it out.  He is pretty picky with table food, so I just keep giving it to him and finding ways to smear veggies onto crackers.  He does really good with crunchy stuff.  I like giving him baby food because then I know he is getting fruits and veggies, while I keep trying to get him eat table foods.  He doesn't eat a lot of meat yet.  Solids have always been a challenge because he's pretty picky with texture.

I know I can't do much until I meet with the allergist, I just wanted to start looking into weaning.  Like I said I've wondered what to offer instead of BM to make up for the calories.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 17:57:35 pm »
Honestly none of the non-dairy milks alone are quite the same - either not enough fats or protein - I think some people use more than one. Personally I found using formula easier and more accessible (rural life - not a lot of choice at the local store!) but my kids were mix fed and had already had formula anyways, was not adding anything new to their diet that way yk?
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 19:55:34 pm »
This FAQ from the Food Allergies board has so useful info on alternative milks. 12 months old - calcium and milk options for the multiple food intolerant child
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011