Author Topic: 5.5 month old waking upto 3 times a night  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 5.5 month old waking upto 3 times a night
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 19:43:53 pm »
Just some food for though, I gave my DS a NF through until he was 8 months when I started weaning him off slowly as it was starting to impact his morning feed.  I would probably consider at least 1 NW due to hunger.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 19:58:07 pm »
Hey, you will hear different opinions but I gave Calpol LOTS of nights when my babies were teething. I can't expect them to sleep soundly if they are in pain, yk? Obviously you don't want to give it to her if she's not hurting, but IMO these meds are super safe.

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 21:09:36 pm »
I didn't need to use calpol again last night thank goodness. I'm putting her down earlier now (bottle about 7.30/7.40pm), and so I'm finding she needs a feed (possibly?) at about 4am something as she wakes then and is just 'awake'.  Paci, teeth gel doesn't seem to settle her. Its not nappy or temperature issue as far as I can see. She also tends to drain a 260ml bottle each night. Do you think she wants more and if so how do I do it? That's the max the bottle can take. Should I give her more weaning food in the day or less time between daytime feeds?  Her naps are still bad and good on different days.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 21:40:34 pm »
Could you for a few nights try giving her a feed at say 3am and popping her back in her crib?

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5.5 month old waking upto 3 times a night (now 6 months old)
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 19:21:12 pm »
Yes I suppose I could give her a feed at 3am if she wakes then.  Or are you saying I should wake her for the 3am feed?

The last few nights she's been waking at 5am something still or 4am.  If 4am I usually just about manage to get her to sleep again for a little bit.  But she wouldn't go back to sleep at the 5am something feed... Any ideas on what I could do about this?

She is going to bed earlier, starting the bedtime routine between 7-7.15pm.  That's a big difference to what I was doing a while ago which was a much later start to bedtime. 

She is still waking up randomly in the night.  Last night for instance she woke at about 11.30pm.  I don't know why.  I didn't feed as it was too soon since bedtime.  I just gave her Teetha gel and gave the paci.  Checked for nappy and temperature of course but didn't seem to be either of these.  Is this just a baby that wants to wake early or do you think she'll learn to sleep longer?  Or how can I get her to sleep to about 6am?!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 19:47:15 pm »
If it was me yes I would do a kind of dream feed at 3-4am so she would go back down and be more likely to sleep past 5am.

Is she teething? Babies do just wake in the night, always, the trick is to teach them to go back to sleep! At 6 months it is still completely normal to need two night feeds.

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 20:25:43 pm »
I presume she's teething as she's biting her bottom lip lots in the day and sucking at it and putting her fingers in her mouth.  I don't know how to tell for sure. How else can I tell?

( she's woke  twice already tonight since the bedtime feed. both within two hours of the feed...does that sound like teething or over-tiredness? or over stimulation from during the day?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 20:27:22 pm »
It could be either, have you given her meds? Did she have a particularly busy day?

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 11:21:17 am »
Yes, I gave her Calpol in the end as she woke for a third time in quick succession.  So I thought I would give it to her.  I didn't hear a peep after that.  She woke at 3.15am though so I tried the paci, just to see, but then she seemed slightly unhappy, so I quickly got up and fed her.  She was a bit fussy after the feed, as if trying to sleep in my arms but wanting to be put down.  I didn't want to put her down too soon after the feed as I always think it is best to keep them up for 10 minutes after a big feed to help it get down a bit.  But managed to get her to sleep without the paci.   (I let her have it for a while until she seemed really asleep in my arms and then took it away.  She didn't seem to mind that.  I then put her on my shoulder for a couple of minutes and then put her down).

Yes, she did have a particularly busy day for a change actually.  I took her and the toddler to a play group at the children's centre and so both of them were around noise and other children and lots of interesting toys for 2 hours.  That's going to become a regular feature in our week.

So, I'm really tired today.  I don't think waking her deliberately is going to work for me personally as I can't cope with the constant sleep deprivation that waking at 3am seems to bring...I'll do it as long as she wakes herself then though of course.  But I just don't think I can plan to do it...

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 12:36:15 pm »
Up to you of course but I would prefer to get up for a quick feed at 3 and then start the day at 6, than be up for the day at 5... I also would definitely not keep her up after the feed in the middle of the night - not unless she is reliably going to puke but at this age really she should be fine. If she wakes closer to 5i I would treat it just like a night feed, dark, quiet, straight back into the crib. It sounds like it's teeth waking her, no?

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 19:01:24 pm »
Yes, I see what you mean.  I agree with you but I don't know how to handle the sleep deprivation...There is a good chance she'll wake around 3am anyway as I'm putting her to bed very early now, she went up at 7pm tonight as she had terrible naps today...So I'll feed her if she wakes.

I will try also to do the night feed as suggested and not keep her up as long and see how that goes.  I hadn't thought that it might be OK to try and keep her up a shorter amount of time now she's 6 months.

We'll see how tonight goes...

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 20:19:23 pm »
Have been gathering data from the last few nights, plus the babies have had a cold each so I've been busy...

The baby's pattern at night seems to be  that she wakes around 3/4am now regularly.  I'm guessing this is for a feed since she goes through pretty much from about 7.30/8pm (sleeping), until then, give or take a few wake ups either within the first two hours after put down, or a midnight wake up for some reason. 

What do you think this means, the waking at 3/4am?  Is it for a feed still do you think?  Previously, I would have put the paci in and seen if she can go to sleep again and it sometimes worked.  But since you've given me advice that you would probably feed her, I have just been doing that and assuming that it is for a feed is she waking. I just wonder when I will be able to stop giving this feed at night.

Should I give her 3 weaning meals a day now perhaps and see if that makes her go longer through the night?  She currently has two, of about 2 teaspoon sizes per meal. 

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 20:29:39 pm »
How many feeds is she having at night? If this is her only feed since bedtime I would just roll with it for a couple of months at least, and then start phasing it out. I know it is tiring, but tbh another teaspoon of veggies or fruit isn't going to amount to many calories. You may find that once she's taking on plenty of solids, including proteins and plenty fats etc, she stops waking of her own accord. So she is going back down after that feed and waking at a decent hour in the morning? 

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 19:50:01 pm »
I think she's having one feed a night.  For instance, at 3/4am.  Last night she woke at 1.30am however, and the paci didn't do the trick, so I fed her.  Then she woke for a feed at 5.45am.  Did I do that wrong last night do you think?  I guess she might have needed a feed at 1.30am since, unusually for her, she didn't wake at all after the bedtime feed, which has been my problem recently with wakings 2/3 times within the first two hours.  I was surprise she didn't wake at all last night until 1.30am.  As the paci didn't settle her, do you think I did the right thing by feeding her?  Her cold didn't seem to be the problem, in fact she seemed to be doing well in that respect, not suffering too much with it.  So I could only think she needed a feed.

When she wakes for the 3/4am feed, she sometimes needs a bit of settling and the paci for sure to go back to sleep.  However, on last night's unusual 1.30am feed, she fell back to sleep straight after coming off the breast.  I haven't seen that in her sine she was a new born.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 20:18:10 pm »
It sounds like she's doing pretty well.