Author Topic: BLW and cavemummas  (Read 4339 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 09:22:13 am »
BLW worked a treat for us.  Neither of mine would've gone for being spoon-fed, LO2 refused any plastic near her mouth, not bottles, nothing.  Both have a great attitude to food.   The reality is that they depended on BFing for most of their nutrients to one and somewhere beyond, and I suspect that would also be a factor in more traditional societies.

I've read widely on the topic and have never heard anyone say anything about it being 'tribal'. I am deeply suspicious of any argument based on the idea that something the writer sees as 'primitive' is by definition either better or worse.   It definitely would not convince me to adopt (or not adopt) a diet, or anything else, for my children.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 09:24:02 am »
Thinking that 'tribal' mums didn't spoon-feed their babies purées is a bit arrogant.  :-\

And assuming that 'BLW only' is the ONLY and BEST way doesn't have any evidence to be better in any way.

Also, 'finger foods' aren't really new, so I don't actually 'get' the BLW hype  ???

Babies refusing spoons is different though. Scotty always loves both, and that is fine, too.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 09:32:47 am »
I don't really understand what this thread is about, Steffi.  Are you trying to start an argument?  Or looking for people's reactions?

In case you misunderstand me, I do not agree with people who view 'tribal' people as 'primitive' or somehow 'more authentic' than we are.  I don't see what you are characterising as 'arrogant', if indeed that remark is aimed at me.  I think speaking and writing of 'tribal' peoples by "Westerners" is usually paired with patronising, condescending, idealising and objectifying attitudes which simplify their existences by taking out random aspects of context.  As I said above, I am deeply suspicious of it.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 10:02:08 am »
No, it wasn't aimed at anyone, personally. I just don't get the hype or the notion that this is the only right way. But then, you don't see that notion on BW anyway, as it is quite balanced.

Nah, was just talking about some friends who recently got a bit judgemental about mums who like to cook and spoonfeed their little babies.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: BLW and cavemummas
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 13:17:08 pm »
I think the spoon thing is an individual baby preference -- I had 2 that would gladly take a spoon and one that would have nothing to do with them.  But yes, back to the idea that we need to do what works for our kids. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 15:13:43 pm »
I think most parenting books are written in such a way as to suggest that their approach is the best. Surely if they didn't think it was any better than other methods they wouldn't be writing a book about it.

Finger foods are not new no. BLW is more about the fact that pureeing and mashing is unnecessary when babies can eat most foods in their more natural state just like an adult would.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 19:57:44 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

binxyboo

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 15:50:03 pm »
^^^^^ That!

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 19:35:31 pm »
It's amazing we have survived for so long huh? :P

I think you have to do what is right for you and put down the majority of the books. I spoon fed and did finger foods. Luckily he took to it all and is a fantastic eater to this day liking far more than his Mum ever did! It's all about money at the end of the day. They want to sell books, everyone has an opinion. While of course there are advances that are good and right, assuming everything before was wrong or bad is nonsense. It has brought even more judgement on parents.