Author Topic: Need advice, 10.5 months old  (Read 1184 times)

Offline mammamef

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 17, 2014, 21:17:48 pm »
 Hi!
I just ordered the books, but didn't receive them yet.
This is the first time I post a question here, and I would be the happiest if someone would like to give me some help on sleeping issues..!

My son is an ew.
Wakes up at around 05 am, I try to give him water but he will only go back to sleep after a bottle of milk. This is around 06.20.
Wakes up 07.30, and has solids at 08.30.
Nap 10.45-11.25.
Solids 3 more times, night sleep around 7 pm.
I cut down on his 2nd nap, it started getting later and later..

I suspect he is not getting enough sleep!!
Should I introduce the 2nd nap again?
Or should I start the day at 05, with him?
And try two earlier naps?

Sorry for my "broken European English" ;)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Need advice, 10.5 months old
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 01:41:35 am »
Hi and welcome to BW! :) You're English sounds just fine to me.

I think your son is definitely in the transition to one nap, but yes 40min all day is not enough. Have a read through this link, it explains the transition well... From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older). You should likely bring back the second nap, but the routine may need to be tweaked in order to fit it all in.

As for the EW, do you feed him the bottle right away and then he takes an hr to fall back to sleep? Or, do you wait to feed him until 6:20 and then he goes back to sleep? If you're going to feed him, I'd do it right away and get him back to sleep. Hopefully, after you get the day routine figured out that EW will disappear. If not, we can do things to get rid of it.  Is your DS an independent sleeper otherwise (i.e. goes to sleep on his own for naps and bedtime)?

Offline mammamef

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:28:35 am »
Hi! Thank you so much for your answer!
I've read the links you sent, but none of them seems to fit my "problem" ;)
We were adviced Not to give him milk at 5, as he physically doesn't need it.
So I've waited with the milk.
The thing is, I gave him milk first a couple of weeks ago, and he Still wants to get up and stay up for over an hour. It doesn't seem to matter..

This morning was a little bit better, he's clearly ot now, but woke up at 05.40. Now he's up because it feels wrong to put him in bed now, at 7.30..

I try to keep things "boring" in the morning with minimum activity, but nothing seems to affect the fact that he's awake. When he was smaller, he could go back to sleep without trouble at this early hour.

He falls asleep for naps in pram or in bed, but in bed I give him the bottle (preferably with water).
I know I shouldn't "bottle" him to sleep, and I'm trying to avoid the simple solution...

What I've heard, is that he wakes up early because he wants the bottle??
Could that be true do you think?

Anyway, thanks again!

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Need advice, 10.5 months old
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:04 am »
What I've heard, is that he wakes up early because he wants the bottle??
Could that be true do you think?
Yes, that could definitely be part of the problem. I think you maybe have a few things going on... he needs a routine change, because he's in the transition to one nap but not getting enough daytime sleep so becoming OT. It also looks like you could be dealing with a prop issue if he falls asleep with a bottle... thus needing the bottle to go back to sleep in the wee hours.

How do you feel about trying to get him to start going to sleep independently?  What did your routine look like today with the early wake-up?