Author Topic: A time!  (Read 12111 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: A time!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 14:18:58 pm »
I think we're getting there.. With every day we are learning what's she's capable of aren't we??

How does she wake from her afternoon nap? Is she happy? If so, as it's still a 40mins nap I'm still thinking UT.

If it's any consolation my LO only did a 1hr 15mins nap today. So EBT for us too. Time to bump her A up as well ::)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 14:21:12 pm »
Once we get her A's at a suitable level, have you thought about trying wake to sleep? It worked well on my LO. But again, it takes perseverance and the A time to be right.

Here's the link for this How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Let me know what you think?

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 15:31:17 pm »
Hai,

No she was cranky the second nap time, first she start talking to her self and then crying she look tired but i left her in bed a few minutes but she started screaming.

I did before try wake to sleep but as soon as ik come in to the room she wakes up, and is then very a wake a doesn't want to sleep.
I prefer not to go near her room because even if she hears me going upstairs she start crying is then awake and doesn't want to sleep.
I thought it was also for younger babies.

How old is your baby.
How long does it take for her to sleep longer? Do you think i have to make her awake time longer of just try again? I means if the awake time is good does she sleep longer or has she first get used to this a wake time?

I don't now what to do tomorrow?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 15:32:57 pm by mary12 »

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 17:35:33 pm »
Okey dokey, I think we're close. I'd bump that A another 10mins for the afternoon one tomorrow. Then do wake to sleep.

The key is with it is to know their sleep patterns. For the first 20mins, they are in light sleep and can be easily disturbed unless they're absolutely knackered and have crashed. So no disturbing them in the first 20mins. After that they move into a deep sleep. I would suggest you go in at the 30minute mark and very gently stroke her cheek.. Enough to hear her breathing change (or they sigh) and back out very quietly. It can be used on older babies. I did it for mine at around 8.5 months and it just taught her to sleep longer. I think as she was so used to 45minute naps she was habitually waking then, even when the A time was long. I had to do it for a good week, then when she regressed back (I mentioned it in an earlier post) I had to up the A and do it again for another 3days. Don't get me wrong, there were days when it didn't work and I felt really down about it. I'd do w2s and she'd still wake up at 45mins!! But looking back it was because her A time was too short for her.

Worst case scenario is she wakes at 30mins, but hey, that's only 10mins less than you're getting anyway so it's worth a shot?

To answer your questions - mine is 11.5mo. After help on here, her sleep improved within a week or so, regressed, then was good for another month until the 2-1 transition craziness started. But luckily I was well informed this time, and have ongoing support on here which helps.

I think your LO sounds so much like mine. I think if we get the right A for her, she will sleep longer it just takes a little more time than most. Probably because we let it go on for so long! There's obviously an element of learned behaviour so wake to sleep is probably our best option. Yes, they do go backwards sometimes (as mine did and still is), now I just know what to do the next day to sort it out! And EBT is key on the days it doesn't work!

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 08:55:03 am »
Hello Kellyjs,

My Lo woke up this day late  :P, 7.30. We s bought yesterdagy very dark shutter. Because normaly she woke up by 730 but the last weeks it is  very earlier combined with little sleep through the day. So this maybe works for have a better night sleep, thats what we thought and today it worked.

Now I didn"t  now wat to do, but because we are going for one good nap. I put her to bed by 10 otherwise the day is become later and i really want to have 7 as the latest bed time. Also changing to much the sleeping hours will affect her sleep, or not?

I want to have a long  a wake time this afternoon, like 3,5.

By the way she is now still sleeping so she is going for an hour I think, I dont understand why a lot of times if she goes  erlyear to bed she still will sleep. I looks like it doesnt matter if her  awake time is long of short.

What are your ideas if she wakes up at this time, how to handle different moring awaking?

xxx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 11:36:15 am »
That's an amazing wu!! Congrats on the lie in!!

I would keep to the same A's personally as you're wanting to teach her that's the way forward. How long did she sleep for the morning nap in the end? If it was longer than an hour, I'd still look at doing 30hrs 30mins and see how long that next nap is. It might mean a later BT today, but don't worry about it too much. As she woke up at 7.30am, with one decent nap and a CN it could be 12hrs, two decent naps, you'd be looking at a 13hr day probably.

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 12:18:09 pm »
She slept for an 1 hour and 10 minutes, I have now a wake of 3,5  hours. I'm curious what she is going to sleep now.

If she sleep good nap, like one in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon het would mean that her bedtime is becoming 20,30?
Or not?I prefer to have here in bed by seven or max 19.30.  What would you do with bedtime if she sleeps good naps, what do the most do?
I always thought babys needed a longer awake time before going to bed, so they sleep better through the night.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:25:14 pm by mary12 »

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 12:34:30 pm »
It's up to you. At this age it's more common to have one longer nap and one shorter nap a day. If she does pull two longer naps, your day will be getting very long. I'll link to the 2-1 transition FAQ for you to have a look at in a minute. I'm not saying your LO is ready for one nap, far from it in fact. If you have a read of the link it explains with increasing A times it becomes more and more difficult to fit everything into a reasonable length of day.

Not all babies prefer a longer A to bed. Mine didn't! But we just need to figure out which one yours prefers to do. If you keep in mind the length of the entire day, lo's will naturally be tired at the end of a 13hr day or so anyway irrelevant of A times before bed. Does that make sense?

It's amazing we've got a longer nap out of her already! It's just not the nap you'd prefer hey?! We'll keep going tomorrow holding the same A's and see what happens.

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:36:06 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 12:43:25 pm »
But what is long? Do you consider 1 hour en 1 hour long naps? I mean like 2,5 , 3 hours is normal for her age.

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 12:45:02 pm »
 O she is now crying and can get the sleep, 1 hour ago at 2,5 awake time she could almost not hold her eyes open. What does this mean, I push to long and now she is so awake has difficult sleeping?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 12:47:36 pm »
No 2-3hr long naps aren't normal for her age at all!! Probably a maximum of 3hrs daytime sleep over two naps would give you a 14+ hr day.

I think you should aim for around a 45minute nap in the morning and around 1.5hrs in the afternoon that sound keep you to the 12-hr day you would like.

We consider anything over an hr a restorative nap. So don't worry too much if the above times I mentioned don't go exactly to plan. The reason you want her to have a shorter nap in the morning is so you can still fit everything into one day.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:53:32 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 12:49:46 pm »
Is she crying in bed? Did she fall asleep at all and has woken up? Or is she having trouble setting herself to sleep?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 13:05:46 pm »
Don't know if it'll help, but thought you might like to see what I went through at 8mo regards the 45-minute naps. It might take a bit of time to read through though  ;) I know your LO is a lot older but sometimes it helps when you read what others have been through xx

8mo EASY routine

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 14:02:18 pm »
Hello,

We still don't have succes here, she woke up. She only slept 45 minutes again, I kept a awake time of 3,5 hours she slept at 3,75 a wake time.
She was crying,  I think she having trouble setting herself to sleep.

Now she is very cranky and crying, this is not working, help. I am getting desperate now.

I also meant a total amount of 3 hours a day of sleeptime for her age, not a nap of 2 a 3 hours, I now she is to big for that even tho she has never done that. But now she is getting to little sleep, only 1,45 hours a day.

The awake time is not working. I dont no what to do now. She is now crying, is not happy.

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 14:04:01 pm »
The first time she fall a sleep and did not cry at al. The second nap she cried and had trouble sleeping. First time 2,5 h awake time, second nap 3,75 hours awake in total, but trouble sleeping.