Author Topic: Lazy nurser?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline sblauv

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 18, 2014, 16:37:44 pm »
A few weeks ago, my 11 week old (average weight) started nursing nonstop for 3-4 hours in the evening and then would eat a 4oz bottle immediately after the nursing marathon.  He is on 3 hour EASY during the day and does great with it, but at 6pm he seems ravenous.

I thought that maybe he was having a growth spurt so I pumped after every feed for 3 days and fed him the extra during the day to see if that helped.  He is still starving in the evenings.  Now I nurse him at 6pm and then give him a bottle (I just can't nurse for 3-4 hours each evening).  He will take another 4-5 ounces before passing out cold (we try to keep him awake to separate the feed from sleep, but so far not much luck).  He then wakes up about an hour later and will eat another 2-4 ounces.  My husband then does a dreamfeed around 11 where baby will eat anywhere from 1-5 ounces.  He then wakes up again between 3:30-5am.

I did a yield and I am making 3 ounces every 2 hours, which would seem sufficient for his age.  When I do pump after nursings, there is still about 1-1.5 ounces of milk left.  It would seem that he should be full after he stops nursing but he will still down a 2-3 ounce bottle.  =(  Is it possible that he is a lazy nurser?  Any suggestions? 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Lazy nurser?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:00:23 am »
Is he actively sucking the entire marathon session? Or do you think some of it could be for comfort? A yield isn't really a true marker of how much he baby is taking so I wouldn't necessarily assume he is getting the same amount as you can pump. Also drinking from a bottle is a lot less work and even after a feed a lot of babies would take from a bottle and drink down more than they are really hungry for before their brain gets that full signal. If it is growth spurt related, is he wanting to feed more often in the day - mine usually did, so I added in extra nursing sessions whenever they were demanding it.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 14:08:14 pm »
Have you had a LC observe his latch to check it is ok? Has he been checked for a tongue tie?

I'm just wondering if it could be a problem relating to the transfer of milk such as incorrect latch or tongue tie. There is some info in TT in the following links.

Information on Tongue Tie in babies and children
Article on dealing with tongue-tie when breastfeeding...
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline sblauv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 15:42:51 pm »
For the marathon nursing sessions, he will nurse for 30-40 minutes before falling asleep.  But if I try to move him, he will wake up and eat again, or at least try (as I don't have much left by then).  Repeat pattern until I finally give up and let my husband give him a bottle.

I don't think that he's currently having a growth spurt as he doesn't seem extra hungry during the day.  I think that's why I'm so exasperated, he does wonderful with the 3 hour schedule until it comes to dinner and bed time.  Then he just eats continuously for hours!

My first child had a tongue tie, so we had him checked for one off the bat and the LC says he doesn't have a tongue tie (thankfully).  LC also says that he latches well...

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 15:48:17 pm »
We still mostly feed every two hours in the day, before and after naps. When we increased day feeds, he was less hungry at night and more satisfied.

Also, have you tried having a nap throughout the day?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 16:35:27 pm »
Do you think he could just need to suck to get to sleep? Have you tried a soother/dummy?

If feeding every 2hrs in the day doesn't work with A times (just thinking mine were asleep from 1hr20-30 until 3hrs after a feed at that age) then you could try top ups 30 mins after each feed to get some extra high fat milk into him in the day. Supply is naturally lower in the evenings so frequent feedings are common but understand they are less than ideal.

Offline sblauv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 17:22:53 pm »
He really doesn't like the pacifier 99% of the time, it just makes him mad.  =(

I'd like to try to stick with the 3 hour schedule for his A times but giving him a feed either mid A time or before his nap might work.  We'll give it a try and see what happens, thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 18:36:40 pm »
Good luck. I hope it works. It should at least do wonders for your supply :)

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 18:51:23 pm »
Like Ali said, a topup doesn't have to interfere with his routine  :)

We are on a 4 hour nap routine, two naps, but with EBF, that wouldn't work with 'strict' EASY.

Offline sblauv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 18:36:11 pm »
I started feeding him when he woke up from nap and then before I put him down for nap.  This seemed to help him nap better and he goes down a little easier for bed time. 

Shortly after starting that (though not sure if it's related), he had a week or so where he was fussy at the breast.  He then nursed great for a week and now he's back to being fussy on the breast when time to nurse.  Nursing now consists of a lot of fussing and sort of bobbing on/off the breast.  =\  He is also taken to not napping more than 45min to an hour, though not sure if that is related. 

Any suggestions for a frustrated mommy?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 20:32:27 pm »
How long after his feed are you offering the breast again? Maybe he just isn't hungry again yet. Could you try feeding just after his naps again? If they are only 45 mins that would still be less than 3hrly I expect.

Also could it be the 4mo growth spurt perhaps?

Offline sblauv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 20:41:26 pm »
When he first started getting fussing during nursing, he was still napping 1hr15-1hr30 naps.  I would nurse him at wake up and then again 15 minutes or so before nap time.  Now if I don't nurse him before his nap, he won't go down for nap.

He did just have a growth spurt last week just prior to the change in napping.  Maybe the nap issue is related to that.  Not sure about the fussy nursing, though...

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 20:50:46 pm »
How long is he awake before you try nursing him for the second time? Do you think he now sees it as the wind down to sleep and maybe he isn't tried or hungry yet? Or it could even be that he is OT at that point if he is up for a long time between naps. It could be an A time issue perhaps.

45 min naps are very common at this age.
short naps at 3-4 months? Take it easy, it will get better!
Teaching Sleep to Babies of 3-5 months (and the 45 min nap)

You could try wake to sleep.
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Offline sblauv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 14:46:36 pm »
Typically, he has been awake about 1hr15 when I try to nurse him again.  I think that it probably has become part of his wind down routine.  It's possible that he maybe needs a little longer awake time and he's just not tired enough yet.  If he wakes early from his nap, I try to only keep him up for 1hr30 to 1hr45 so I'm not sure OT is an issue.  It sounds like the napping issue may just be related to his age and possibly a need to start tweaking his schedule. 

I think I'm more stressed by the fussy nursing.  My older child started doing this around the same age and ended up refusing to nurse by the time she was 5 months old.  I'm not sure what is going on or what to do to try to avoid the same thing with him.  :(

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 19:50:51 pm »
Am I right in thinking he is about 15wo now? If so average A time is around 1hr30-45. You could try feeding him right at the end of A time but TBH I'm not surprised he isn't interested if he just finished feeding less than an 1hr15mins ago. No way mine would have fed so soon again at that age.

You could try breast compressions if you think he is losing interest at waiting for the milk.
Breast compression

How is your supply and letdown? Is it possible you have oversupply or forceful letdown that he is struggling to cope with? If so check out this FAQ. Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down

How often does he get a bottle? Could he be developing a bottle preference do you think? Also have a look at this FAQ on coaxing baby back to the breast during a nursing strike. Is my baby weaning or is it a nursing strike?

Offline sblauv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 21:02:14 pm »
I had started trying to feed him before naps in an effort to curb the marathon feed at bed time.  But now I'm thinking that I need to try to cut out that extra feed before nap and try to get him to settle without it.  Will also try increasing his A time a little.  I doubt that I have an oversupply, TBH I think I just barely have enough to meet his needs.

Sadly, I had to return to work this week so he now gets LOTS of bottles.  :(  I'm hoping that he won't stop nursing when I'm home!  I have 3 day weekends, so maybe that will help, who knows...

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 07:28:25 am »
I've heard people recommend using the slowest flow teat in the bottle so he has to work for the milk and it isn't so much easier for them than breast feeding.