Author Topic: Sippy Cup Issues  (Read 1664 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Sippy Cup Issues
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:21:04 am »
I know there's a Sippy Cup heading under FAQ's but it didn't answer any of my questions because I have the book!  I need 'In the Trenches' info here!  Our DS is almost 11 months and he's not a huge extra fluids kid.  He has three 8 oz bottles each day and drains 2/3 but he only has water when he's desperate, despite repeated offerings.   :-\
The daycare he starts in a month asks that he have a sippy cup, which he does but he doesn't get the whole 'hold it up and water shall come' concept, thus he's not an independent drinker.  I've tried modeling, we've been offering it and a regular cup for months now but he doesn't get it.  I've tried leaving it sitting beside him but all he does is either a) grab it by the handle and flap it around, or b) turn it upside down and chew on the bottom  ::).  Am I enabling him somehow?  Is there a good method someone can recommend?  I plan follow Tracy's suggestion to try every day, several times a day but if someone can suggest a method in addition, that would be great.  The Sippy Cup I think will be easiest for him is also the lightest and smallest.  It's an Avent soft-spout and the water comes out of the nipple if it's slightly compressed, it doesn't even require sucking.  He's been using this one since 5/6 months I think.

Cheers,

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Sippy Cup Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:38:08 am »
With our first, we basically did the same - kept offering it to him, trying to practice during playtime even.  Sometimes I would hold him on my lap and try that way too like Tracy suggests in the book.  One day, my mom gave it a go, and just like that, he got the hang of it.  Just keep offering, and your LO will pick it up eventually. :). You could always try a different kind of sippy cup as well.  Our DS1 liked the Playtex ones with the harder spout, and our DS2 likes the Nuk soft spout.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:01:42 am »
I would try a cup which requires no compression and has no valve, the hard spout type, if you tip it the water comes out.  Or a straw cup where he can suck instead of tip the cup. You don't need to buy a straw cup to try out a straw, get a wide type straw and just use that in a regular cup whilst you see if he likes it (you can hold the cup to prevent spills). With a straw you can trap some water inside by dipping in the water and putting your finger over the other end, a little will stay in the straw which you can put to LOs mouth so he gets the idea it has water in it.
If the straw is successful you could look for the type with a lid and straw which daycare may accept.

Otherwise, he may just not be thirsty. He may be getting the fluids he needs from the  3 bottles and whatever solids he is eating. If he has purees, soups, stews or juicy fruits (oranges, grapes etc) these have quite a lot of fluid anyway.

Mine didn't drink large quantities of water either, just sips really. I was amazed even when he was 2.5yo he would still have only small drinks whilst his friend of the same age would down a half pint of juice - of course juice is sweet so drinking larger amounts isn't necessarily from thirst but from enjoying the taste - I'm not suggesting juice btw only that the difference between LOs is quite vast.

Just a reminder, only put an oz or 2 in the cup so it is not heavy.
He might be more willing when a bottle is switched to a solids snack with water which isn't far off I expect.

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 17:54:07 pm »
Thanks ladies!  I did get a Playtex Twist and Click because of it apparently does not leak at all but I think he has to suck a bit harder on the straw then he's used to.  We have straws at home though, so I'll try that too when we offer a cup and then the sippy cup at other times.  I guess it is almost time to wean him off the mid-day bottle, he's just such a skinny minnie, I want to get as many calories into him as possible!

Cheers,