Author Topic: Do your girls have lots of 'girly' toys?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Do your girls have lots of 'girly' toys?
« on: June 21, 2014, 18:18:07 pm »
just interested really...kind of sparked from going to a friend's house last week and the girl who is the same age as M had loads of barbies and pink lego and fairies and all sorts..we are fairly 'toy light' anyway but M does not have that many girly toys and I am worrying maybe we should be doing something more about that.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Do your girls have lots of 'girly' toys?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 18:27:49 pm »
DD is pretty balanced I think. She has lots of regular duplo blocks, a tractor and some cars, balls, puzzles, a doll with accessories and a pram and I just got her a doll house. Made sure it was blue not pink though. I don't really get all the pink and fairy stuff. I mean if she actually asks for sth pink and girly I'll get it for her but till she does I prefer the neutral stuff.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 18:42:33 pm »
Megan has plenty, and likes them a lot, but mainly plays games with her brother instead  :P. It is a tricky one really - if I brought her boy lego for Christmas she would be disappointed - but the girl stuff is much less played with because Jacob won't play as well.

She will ask for pink and girly though. I'm quite glad I don't have a house full of girls!!

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 18:52:01 pm »
Lily had mostly neutral stuff til she started showing a preference for pink tat  ::) I don't like the pink girly stuff to be honest - most of the really girly stuff has been bought by other people - but she's increasingly asking for princess sparkly pink stuff so I can only see our collection increasing! 

ETA: Up until age 3 we had quite a good balance but it was some time around 3.5 - 4 that she started the pink obsession (fuelled mainly by friends and adverts). She didn't have a barbie or anything like that til she was 4 and only then cos I had to buy one to decorate a cake....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 18:55:34 pm by LovelyLilyandJack »

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 18:54:49 pm »
Does she WANT "girly" toys?  If she doesn't, then there is no reason she should have them.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 19:38:34 pm »
 We had none at all until dd discovered Tinker Bell when she was 5.  Prior to that she loved Thomas the Train more than anything!   :)  I loved being more neutral in terms of color....(I had a thread on here about the 'girl' lego when it came out a few years ago).  She loved play food, her red wagon, stuffies, (always stuffies!) and lots of crafty things like stickers and paints. I was admittedly 'anti-princess', and that kind of thing wasn't on dd's radar.  I don't mind the fairies....they aren't into romance, they're super helpful to each other and the earth, and we LOVE making fairy garden in the yard!  :)

She was drawn to the girly stuff at other people's houses though, she would defintely put a tiara on and grab a wand with the best of them!!!  ;)   That was fine with me....her dress-up stuff at home was balanced....a cowboy outfit as well as a tutu, yk? She always draped herself in necklaces and funny hats....she loved dressing up....but was happy to put leg warmers on her arms and my husbands baseball hat yk?  :)

When it comes to "girly" toys, the difference is really just in the colors. DD played with toy horses, but I refused to but lavender horses with glittery manes....our horses were brown and darn it they liked it!  ;)  I find all that stuff really troubling actually, and am really sensitive to "pretty" being so important in all girls toys.   :P

If she's happy....and she likes her toys....I would keep doing what you're doing.  Outside play has always trumped *any* toy, and is still dd's number one choice!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 19:46:27 pm »
Aww come on Anne...I have two lavendar horses!! Lol only because the brown ones were sold out!!! We have a good mix of things really, besides the things like barbies that are inherently girly. We have trains, multi coloured blocks & lego, a blue & white kitchen, and a variety of dress up gear from princess to pirate!
Heidi

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 20:11:52 pm »
We have a lot of girly stuff because dd2 truly loves it :) Both my girls love dressing up but dd1 was very much into her police/nurse/doctor/fireman outfits, she loved fireman Sam and Handy Manny when she was younger, so that was all the sort of stuff we had. Then dd2 started showing her own personality and she is just a through and through pink girly princess!! And I know it's nothing we've enforced cos of dd1! So I feel totally comfortable with all our girly stuff because it truly is dd2's choice :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 00:01:08 am »
We have trains and cars, little people, baby dolls, doll houses, Octonauts, Jake and the never land pirates, a basket ball hoop, a soccer net, musical instruments, dress up.  We just got into the Barbie stage and only b/c my mother introduced her to the little mermaid movie (that's another post) and then bought her the Ariel and Prince Eric Barbie's with matching boat of course and then my MIL (never to be out done) bought her Cinderella and Prince Charming Barbie's complete with coach and horse.  Mind you she plays more with the dolls then the accessories that were bought to go with them and most of the time the princesses are rescuing their men!

I think if she's happy then let her be. DD1 has just gotten into the preference for pink and she will be 5 in July.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 00:45:28 am »
Most of our pink and girly stuff has come as birthday/xmas gifts from others and from DD asking for something specifically. Otherwise DD loves bats, jungle animals, dinosaurs, dragons and art and drawing stuff. She does like some fairy dolls and things but she also loves playing with stuff that her brother has gotten along the way. She does say her favorite colors are pink and purple but now enjoys blue because it's mommy's favorite ;) All of our dress up has been hand me downs or gifts and so are all princess types. BUT she wanted to be a skeleton and a bat for past Halloweens so we have those outfits lol. I just try to follow her lead.

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 11:32:05 am »
We dont have much either.  I make an effort not to buy the girly pink stuff, most of that stuff is bought by other people as gifts...still no barbies in the house, and I dread the day she gets one because I really cant stand barbie!  If she asks for something girly then I have no problem getting it for her :)

Thankfully she is mostly into fairies (when her dance teacher asked who her favourite princess was she said Tinkerbell :) )  so we do have things like fairy wings.