Author Topic: mushy food Ideas  (Read 1592 times)

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:54:33 pm »
Hello everyone!

My little boy is about 9.5mnths old and is trying to learn how to eat finger foods since he's refused the spoon 100percent about a month ago. However, because he has a highly sensitive gag reflex I have NO idea anymore what to feed him for breakfast?! I've tried yogurt which he used to scream for but won't take anymore because of the spoon! I've done toast but it take 45min to eat it because of his gag. I've also done scrambled eggs, some fruit, oatmeal and a little muffin?

I don't know what to do anymore and am getting very frustrated because I can see he's hungry but is having a hard time.

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 13:16:08 pm »
Banana?

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 13:41:14 pm »
Tried, doesn't like it. However, he eats just about everything(minus a few things such a banana), it's just the gagging, amount of time to feed and spoon refusal combined that causing a huge challenge.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: gagging
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 15:37:48 pm »
have you tried offering a loaded spoon, i.e. put the yoghurt on the spoon for him and leave it on the tray for him to pick up for himself, or just tip the yoghurt on the tray and let him eat it with his hands.

Both of these methods obviously involve quite a bit of mess, but you could do it outside if it is warm enough, or use a plastic mat (shower curtain or similar) underneath his high chair and keep him well away from curtains.

Have you read a bit on other sites about baby led weaning, there is a lot of information there to reassure you about the gagging being just a part of them learning to eat solids and it is ok. If it is just the amount of time it takes to eat don't worry for now, just keep offering things and try not to worry about how much he is eating within a reasonable time frame. My DD used to take nearly an hour over her meals and it felt like I was doing nothing but feeding her for a while, but this stage did pass.
~ Naomi ~

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 17:22:25 pm »
HI Everyone:)

I've posted before about my little man pretty much refusing the spoon now and needing some food ideas. My question this time is, can anyone think of other mushy foods such as banana and avocado that does not involve a spoon? I've tried toast but he gags and throws up because hes got a sensitive gag reflex along with scrambled eggs for some reason. (unless im doing something wrong while making them lol)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: mushy food Ideas
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 17:45:24 pm »
Lots of things can be made as finger food which can be picked up whole but turn to mush quite easily in the mouth. For instance sweet potato wedges/batons roasted in the oven, the outside is 'dry' for picking up but the inside is soft like puree/mash.  You can also steam them although they can be a bit slippery to pick up as finger food, if you find this try cutting in a crescent moon shape or in large rounds with a hole in the middle, it gives a grasping point for small hands. You can even just squidge a bit of a notch in once it's cooked.
Try oven baked or steamed vegetables such as carrots, parsnip, turnip, butternut squash
Fruits such as apple and pear

Fresh fruits such as melon, nectarine, mango, kiwi tend to mush easily if they are ripe.

As for eggs, my DS doesn't like the texture of scrambled egg but will eat omelet happily. Maybe worth a try, it's still soft.  or hard boiled, both parts are soft but the yolk especially is easily mushed down with gums.