Author Topic: mosaic stickers - brilliant!  (Read 2949 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
mosaic stickers - brilliant!
« on: July 31, 2014, 14:46:58 pm »
I am so impressed with today's purchase "My first sticky mosaics". 5 pictures with the colour and shapes marked out (like a paint by numbers) for where the stickers should go. DS has been at it for nearly 2 hrs!  At £1.99 for the set that's amazing value for 2hrs independent play and fine motor practise. I am so happy with our buy!  ;D

The Works have them reduced from £4 if anyone is looking for some at home entertainment over the summer hols.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
Re: mosaic stickers - brilliant!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 16:02:46 pm »
ooh sounds good, I have not seen 'the works'  though - are they available down south?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 16:31:25 pm »
I think there is one in Winchester at least!

What a great buy creations.  I did a bit of mosaic sticking with L the other week but it was much more DIY lol. Or rather L cut and I stuck!  But we were both happy with that :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 16:52:19 pm »
There's a store locator (top right) here
http://www.theworks.co.uk/
or buy on-line, although don't know about the p&p costs so might not be so much of a bargain once you add that.

So far something like 4 hrs minus stopping for dinner (maybe 30 mins). He's on the last of the 5 pictures so it will all be over before BT.  Real value for money to have a happy focused boy for that length of time!!

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 18:46:04 pm »
We had some dinosaur ones last half term when it rained and rained and rained! Kept my two boys occupued for hours. We are off on holiday soon and I plan to get a few of the little kits as entertainment on the plane!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 20:32:52 pm »
Wow - your boy has some concentration! Great buy  :)

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 02:26:38 am »
I second this, my kids LOVE these, even my three year old will really get involved for a long time. However, they do tend to decorate the furniture with the leftover squares....
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 07:59:26 am »
We had some dinosaur ones
DS would love those!  We had a picnic set and as he loves playing pretedn picnics at home it went down really well but dinos would blow his mind :)

Wow - your boy has some concentration!
;D Yes apparently he has!  I knew he had great concentration for certain things (reading books for instance) but I've never been able to get him to do more than a few mins of any art or craft. Just hit on a winner with these!

I did a bit of mosaic sticking with L the other week but it was much more DIY lol. Or rather L cut and I stuck!  But we were both happy with that
I've tried similar with DS, he isn't interested for more than 30 seconds, usually very excited whilst I get the stuff out but loses interest so quickly then I'm left with lots of tidying up to do.

Of course today it is pouring rain and I could really do with a project that keeps him entertained but all the mosaics are finished  ::) (next time I'll buy them in secret and put them away for a rainy day!)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 08:24:23 am »
I think you buy comics sometimes anyway but I find they are good for a rainy day 😄

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 11:30:18 am »
Are they like these? I love the idea but the price over here...

http://www.amazon.com/Orb-Factory-Sticky-Mosaics-Dinosaurs/dp/B001BX39MQ
*Kate*

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 13:55:04 pm »
I just checked amazon as well and found the price higher than I thought. I DO have sticker paper for the printer and I am now wondering if I could "make" some. I think I could add some squares to a coloring page from online or something and then make a page of colored squares and cut them out for the kids. Sounds like a lot of work but the idea looks cool.

OOOH or maybe I could use that watermark effect on the computer and let them use tissue paper to match the color, scrunch and glue the pieces?

Giving me ideas!

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 17:42:57 pm »
I was thinking of finding a way to make them, too, Nicole. Let me know if you figure something out!
*Kate*

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 18:10:13 pm »
That dinosaur set is £23 here - lots of £££!!!  Looks fab though.  It's actually a stage more difficult than the set DS did the other day which was a 'first' set like this
http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Sticky-Mosaics%C2%AE-Pets/dp/B001THPZMQ/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_y
it wasn't the vehicles set we had but it's the same make and level. If you look on the box cover you see the guidance on the picture is a coloured shape, there were 3 shapes for each sticker colour so the right one is chosen each time. The dino set is stick by numbers, I know DS would love it but I'm not paying that for 1 days play.

The set we got is £8 on amazon and that vehicle set is £10, much more expensive than the bargain I got. Even on The Work website I saw it was more like £8 and I got it down to £2 in the shop!!

I would certainly look at buying these again but will be keeping an eye out for another bargain. I've been looking for a few months for these actually and always backed off because for a 'use once' toy they are quite pricey if they are not in the sale.

There must be 100s of way to do similar crafty type mosaics without buying these sets - but I know for DS he wouldn't sit there cutting up pieces to glue them on with glue stick etc, he just won't.

You can get just the stickers (foam or sparkly etc) like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Adhesive-Foam-Mosaic-Squares-Pack/dp/B00702S6NO/ref=sr_1_9?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1407089238&sr=1-9&keywords=mosaic+stickers
and find or print a colour picture which they then add to with the stickers. Or a blank colouring page where you number the colours yourself or print of a paint by numbers but do sticker mosaic instead of paint.
I know DS really liked that he had to put the triangles and squares at a certain angle, which is drawn on the set, it added to level of concentration required and also guidance given iyswim.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 21:31:08 pm »
It would cost me about 9 dollars to get the mosaic foam stickers shipped. I THINK I can make them with sticker paper and cut them myself.

These don't look TOO pricey: http://www.amazon.com/Lauri-Toys-Stick-Numbers-Animals/dp/B000NGBHHQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TJ8HVAMJNPJB3QX1FPB