Author Topic: What does over-stimulation look like?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Emilynaderer

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 23, 2014, 15:11:37 pm »
We have an activity mat for my 2.5 mo old. After recently reading the Baby Whisperer I realize that we were over stimulating my son with too many toys, shaking rattles at him, etc. We have started hanging just one toy at a time, but he is still VERY excited. He coos loudly and kicks his arms and legs strongly. He can keep this up for 20-25 minutes (after bf and diaper change for a total of about 50-60 minutes awake). Then his kicking will slow down and he gets fussy. We immediately swaddle and take him to his crib to begin soothing, but he always goes into a hysterical, back arching, squirming fit when falling asleep and it is very hard to calm him. So my question is - is all that kicking during A time normal for 10 weeks or does it sound like it is too much for him?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: What does over-stimulation look like?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:00:16 am »
Hi there!
Sorry your post got missed for a few days!  It sounds like my kids at that age -- they tend to get tired so quickly at that age!  You could do a shorter time on the mat and then do a more low key activity and maybe transition him I to sleep more gradually?

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 22:09:19 pm »
After time on the mat,( I think about 10/15 mins, can't really remember  ???)I used to walk round the house pointing out various things, this helped calm LO down a bit before the swaddle and down time.  :)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 00:12:45 am »
With my spirited DD she got overstimulated very easily!!! We had to watch the stimulating toys and not for too long and then we had to make sure there was plenty of wind down time and we had to set the stage for all naps and bedtime. I have a LO that will be 8 weeks Friday and I think he will only do his mat for 10-15 minutes. With DD we had such a small window to catch her from being happy to over tired/over stimulated...it was a process of trial an error but eventually we figured it out. HUGS

[/url]