Author Topic: How much does your 8 month old eat?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Florena49

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:26:22 am »
Just that really, Os will be 8 months in a couple of days, we have started introducing solids from about 6 months and he eats a lot, well maybe not but it seems so anyway.
We still have all our milk feeds, so 4 a day a as an example this is what he had yesterday

Breaky
Baby porridge and 6 blueberries. He would have had more porridge but we ran out...
Lunch
We were out, so it was eat out of the tin day. So he had a cheese pasta bake (only quarter of the pot left) and sone rice cakes. ( usually he would have steamed veggies as finger food whilst i make his lunch)

Dinner
Im always conscious that i don't want to overfeed him here, as he is getting more and more fussy on the breast for his BT feed, as its much closer to the previous feed. So he had  a small pot of yoghurt and some blueberries.( loves them!)

There are days when he eats less in the morn, especially when teething and generally he will tell me when he is done ( doesn't open his mouth and turns away), but just seems a lot and i notice he is having less milk as well. Its not time to start substituting milk feeds is it?
Viktoria

Mum to Oskar 25/10/2013 and Maksim 19/07/2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How much does your 8 month old eat?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:13:54 am »
Looks fine. Does he have a DF or NF still?

Offline Florena49

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:19:12 am »
Yep still two feeds at night, our nights are so disturbed that it is just easier to feed him, else i might be there for a while.
Viktoria

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:25:32 am »
Hmm..I was going to suggest that DF/NF be cut before starting to drop day milk feeds, and that cutting the DF could increase his motivation to take milk at BT, but it sounds like you aren't ready for them to go yet.  Maybe have a think about it over the coming weeks. Not that solids are primary at this age but it seems a shame to be limiting calories in the day (ie dinner) whilst continuing to feed in the night.
Maybe it's possible to bring dinner earlier if it's effecting the BT milk?

Mine was on 3 meals at 8 months whilst some are not really into solids until 9 months+

Offline Florena49

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 09:20:42 am »
I know i have to just bite the bullet and at least drop one of the night feeds.

This is what our day looks like now

6.30wu eat ( not really interested)
8 breaky
10.40nap-12.15 4.10A
12.15 eat
2 lunch
4.20nap-4.40     4.05A
4.40 milk feed
6 dinner
7.15 milk feed ( not all that interested)
7.40 BT              3A

I think we are well into 2-1 transition but i just cant figure out the last A to eliminate these night wakings, last night up every 2.5 hours.
I mean there is a lot going on developmentally and his first two teeth came through, but i cant imagine that the night wakings are from that, i reckon its more routibe related.

How would you suggest one of the night feeds are dropped?
Viktoria

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 18:11:41 pm »
Maybe post on NW or BF for dropping a NF.
I always choose the gradual approach rather than cold turkey but it's personal choice and what suits you best.
I wasn't able to BF so have only weaned from bottle which I reduced over a number of nights and offered water as an alternative, but I would imagine with BF you would reduce time, you could still offer water if your LO takes a sippy cup for example.  Then shush/pat to sooth through any frustration and help him back to sleep. I will say though that when I weaned the DF and BT milk (at 12 months - you aren't there yet obviously) there was no crying as it was gradual.
It does look like he's getting too much food at night if he lacks interest in the WU and BT milk feeds.

Offline Florena49

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 09:48:58 am »
Thank you Creations, i dont think there will be much crying really as he isnt all that hungry at noght either for the second feed, so i will give it a go and see if we can leave just one feed per night for now in hope that day feeds improve.
Viktoria

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 11:10:32 am »
FX for you :)